Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whole D&RGW Narrow Gauge Route?

United States of America, Illinois, Chicago

Talking The Whole D&RGW Narrow Gauge Route?

Im a huge fan of the D&RGW system and I was wondering is anyone building the D&RGW 36 inch line from Sliverton to Alamosa or Salida. It would be AWSOME to run on.
    Last edited by Matt315; February 8th, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
    The more steam engines operating,the better railfaning gets. Vist me online at http://www.youtube.com/Matt3985

United States of America, Colorado, Denver

No, but if you download my route, Timber Ridge Line, it gives you 30 miles of 3 foot narrow gauge to run on

The Route and Session
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nmdm5z5n4yj

Content I created that is not on the DLS
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jniee0xihzr
    And the K-28 Continuum Project (see my thread for more info http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=29315)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jniee0xihzr

Tell the US Government to Protect the SS United States!

Interestingly, I recently found a magazine bound book on the section of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grand that is currently operated as the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. 64 miles of narrow gauge slogging over brutal territory. It might be fun, if I had more time.

Claude

Im actually trying to do just that. so far im working on Chama to Cumbres. Im only up to cresco. but ive got a pretty acurate Chama yard.(used google earth and a map on the C&TSRR Website.

Prowler is working on the RGS.

Austin

United States of America, Colorado, Denver

Prowler has been working on the RGS for the last 4 years or so. As long as I have been using trainz

Tell the US Government to Protect the SS United States!

United States of America, New York, West Charlton

Yup.... Probably more like 6 years now... At the rate I get to work on it I don't know if it will ever be done....

Quote Originally Posted by up_train_boy View Post
    Im actually trying to do just that. so far im working on Chama to Cumbres. Im only up to cresco. but ive got a pretty acurate Chama yard.(used google earth and a map on the C&TSRR Website.
    Some good references on that site, though I guess the exact gradient profile and details of speed limits/signalling are harder to find.

Well, well...

As if by magic (and a bit of Googling) found this site which has the gradient profile...

http://utahrails.net/drgw/rg-track-profiles.php

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler901 View Post
    Yup.... Probably more like 6 years now... At the rate I get to work on it I don't know if it will ever be done....
    I appreciate very much your work and I am constantly looking at the screenshots of your RGS route which are a constant souce of inspiration for me. You worked that RGS map with Microdem software using a DEM map or is a terrain generated by hand?
    I also repeatedly tried my hand with some of the old Colorado narrow gauge terrains (RGS, Durango-Chama, Toltec and Cumbres, Alpine Tunnel Route, Marshall Pass, Chili Line, Lake City Branch, Gunnison-Montrose), but the result was always the same: a too big map. I think a 1/2 scale would be the best solution, sure with the diminish of the highness of trestles (a problem which otherwise can be easily solved), and other, maybe unwished, consequences.

United States of America, New York, West Charlton

My RGS is not full scale. It's all hand made. I have a map that came with "Silver San Juan". It also has the grade profile. So, using the two I created what I have now. I've compressed it to about 10 minutes between each major station running a prototypical 10-15 mph. The whole thing runs about 33 miles long.

I'll keep plugin' away at it.

Todd

It's nice to heard you will keep working it, and I hope you will finish it soon, because I am already a fan of it. Good luck!

United States of America, Ca., Janesville

You know, I've heard that the D&RGW's NG line went all the way to Denver,CO AND don't forget about the Chili Line (Antonito, CO- Santa Fe NM) and that other branch line that derailed from me. Besides, we could use some adventures on the "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado" (By John Denver, Listen to it). By the way Prowler 901, how did you get that cool D&RGW icon?
    Last edited by DRGW480; February 7th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRGW480 View Post
    You know, I've heard that the D&RGW's NG line went all the way to Denver,CO AND don't forget about the Chili Line (Antonito, CO- Santa Fe NM) and that other branch line that derailed from me. Besides, we could use some adventures on the "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado" (By John Denver, Listen to it). By the way Prowler 901, how did you get that cool D&RGW icon?
    Which icon of his are you talking about?

Regards.

United States of America, Delaware, Dover

I know this is cheating but TranDem has the ability to use MSTS .mkr files in creating routes. There are MSTS routes that include most of the narrow gauge lines on TrainSim.com. Just download the file and put the .mkr file on a DEM map in TransDem and export the route to Trainz.

Works great, there will be a blue line marking the route.

Harold