Demo for Trainz 2009

albinballad

Hi All,

I wonder if there is a demo version for Trainz 2009. I never had Trainz and I only recently heard about Trainz at all. I read threads about the forum so I know it's a builder more then a simulator which I don't mind (I even like it more).

However before speding the money I would like to try it.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Albin B.

Hi Albin. Sorry no demo.

Besides, it's only $30 - that's a trip for two to the movies which is over in a couple of hours.

Read this thread for some of the feedback we are getting and tell me it's not worth $30 to find out for yourself:)

Here are some of the highlights....

Martinvk: I'm also one of the holdouts from 2004, which was great in its day and still kept me faithful when 2006 and the TC series came calling. Now I must admit that I've been seduced by 2009.

DaveW: Big thumbs up for TS2009, an excellent basis for future Trainz development. Good framerates, good graphics, good sound, the way to go :D ..

Spelman: I for one am very happy with TS2009...I'm very impressed with the improvement in frame rate...One of my routes which returned about 15 fps at the main station, now runs quite happily at 40 fps

Communist: The more I use it the more I like it, it just gets better and better. I highly recommend people move to 09, it's a lot more rewarding....

I just saved 600 pounds by buying TS 2009. Turn off compatilbility mode and there is no longer a desire to buy a new PC.

Railroy19: I like it very much,especialy the sounds.

JWEwan: I was a dyed in the wool TSR2004 devotee.
Not anymore......I love TS2009.

They can't all be wrong...

Tony

Your reasoning for no demo is because it "only" costs $30? Heck of a note to pay $30 and find out you hate the game. I donwloaded the original demo of Trainz when Auran first came out with it and that's why I bought the game.

There is another side of things for the demo... 99.99% of the 'new' stuff is only used by 10 or so built-in items... To really get the best out of 09, content creators will need to make their content for 09... Hence there really isn't much to 'demo' in 09... Except 1 station, some cars, a tree, a locomotive, a single track, and a few other little bits and pieces...

Zec

Trainz2009

I must admit I am rather dissapionted with Trainz 2009. It seems to me that it is a compilation of past Trainz software. I was hoping for better graphics similar or close to Rail Simulator. I downloaded my Trainz 2009 and I gather it has SP 1 and SP 2, but I downloaded these also.
There are a few more locomotives and some improvement to Paint graphics, and a few impmprovements to other graphics although I could only find one Locomotive with far better graphics than others.
I may have missed something, or perhaps I hav'nt downloaded the appropriate graphics to go with 2009, perhaps someone could guide me in this respect. I guess I have been spoiled by the graphics in Rail Sim, but the Surveyor is not as easy to use as in Trainz 2009, and the routes are very limited, so that is why I stick to Trainz

There is another side of things for the demo... 99.99% of the 'new' stuff is only used by 10 or so built-in items... To really get the best out of 09, content creators will need to make their content for 09... Hence there really isn't much to 'demo' in 09... Except 1 station, some cars, a tree, a locomotive, a single track, and a few other little bits and pieces...

Zec

Oh Great. So that means all the same probs I had with an earlier version (trs06 ?). 99.9% of the downloaded stuff wouldn't work because of a few common missing resources, whcih seemed to need my purchasing earlier versions (trs05 - and maybe 04 too) to get.

I'll pass on this one - yet again.

Last edited:
Oh Great. So that means all the same probs I had with an earlier version (trs06 ?). 99.9% of the downloaded stuff wouldn't work because of a few common missing resources, whcih seemed to need my purchasing earlier versions (trs05 - and maybe 04 too) to get.

I'll pass on this one - yet again.

If anything go for TS2010. This is the replacement of what was to be the EE Edition of TS2009. There are additional fixes as well as the new SpeedTreez, which have both good and bad things about them. In addition to the SpeedTreez, there are also some new routes including the ECML, which is really nice. Besides the fixes to the game engine its self, there is better graphics handling that solves the alpha channel problem that plagued TS2009, and there are the new features for layers, sessions, and pasting of spline objects.

There is a huge number of built-in items, and the other items you download off of the DLS have improved considerably since the old days. The missing dependencies are not always the problem of the DLS. In many cases the original asset author typoed the configuration file, or forgot to include the item. Other times the missing dependency is not missing, but broken due to typos in the configuration file, or missing textures. Fixing the dependent item, fixes the main object.

Older content can run in TS2009 and TS2010 using compatibility mode. This works for 99.9% of the content out there even if there are typos in the config files and missing textures. Personally I fixed the errors in my local content so I can use the program in normal mode, which has better performance.

So what's wrong with TS2010?

John

Does Trainz 2010 have animated turnouts, besides those of the 04, Ando06 turnouts...I thought not...FAIL ! Watch 2:18 min: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4Urm4yjXk

I have seen nothing in TS2010 that is superior, asside from track. I'll hold onto 06, until 2014, or until Trainz finally puts out some top quality software, which it is not !

Last edited:
TS09 is a good bit of kit. TS06 was good too but I moved on. Despite there being many negative experiences of TS09, there are probably far more positive ones only they aren't posted here. It all works for me, almost and the bit of effort I've had to put in to correct errors has been worth it.

Moving trees in 2010 do nothing for my experience.

I was wondering though, where can I buy MSTS2? Oh, I can't. It was canned. FAIL.

I was wondering though, where can I buy MSTS2? Oh, I can't. It was canned. FAIL.
And that's exactly where Auran should be headed, for releasing an inferior program far too early, before it was perfected, that does little to show any improvements over 06. There are football, baseball, & basketball video games that look real...whats up with the lame TS2010 software...it's so easy to impress the TS2010 users....lame !

By 2010 we were to have had a moon jump off base and a Mars expedition...were are we now...We have TRS2010...how antiquated !

Last edited:
Does Trainz 2010 have animated turnouts....
Actually it does: CHN turnout#12L,<kuid:276266:1038> and CHN turnout#12R,<kuid:276266:1032> both built into TS10. But of course, as you don't actually have the game, you wouldn't know would you? :hehe:

Paul

If not for Ocemey and Andi06 TS2010 would still be devoid of any animated turnouts ... what a lame excuse of a simulator TS010 is ! Just a bunch of bloated inept content ... not much better than TRS2006. Auran has put nothing of quality into the game ... as they are relying on freeware creators to do all the work FOR them !

I'll buy TS2012 after Dec 21 2012 .. By then the lacking TS2010 might have some real improvements.

Reported to your mum:eek:

Last edited:
Back