Trainz for Mac...

The idea of developing Trainz for Mac unfortunately faded away, don't think it has ever been officially announced as dead. Went the same way as Rail Sim Pro, I guess, easier to keep developing hyped up versions of TRS2004, which in itself is really a development of the original Trainz. It seems these kind of things are announced to be made but when the decision is made to dump them nothing is said, maybe in the hope that people will just forget about them.

The idea of developing Trainz for Mac unfortunately faded away, don't think it has ever been officially announced as dead. Went the same way as Rail Sim Pro, I guess, easier to keep developing hyped up versions of TRS2004, which in itself is really a development of the original Trainz. It seems these kind of things are announced to be made but when the decision is made to dump them nothing is said, maybe in the hope that people will just forget about them.
Look at it as a favor....after all, what would you dead horse beaters do with yourselves if they didn't leave a few laying around...? :cool:

I was looking around through google and such and saw that Trainz was beta tested 2 years for apple and claims of release in late 2006 were everywhere... what happened to this release?

The MAC project died when Auran went through their rough times last year. It would be nice for them to work on a new MAC version, but I would wait until TRS009 and TRSX are up and running rather than have them fragment their efforts now into smaller projects going in different directions.

The ability to dual boot makes a MAC version obsolete anyway because the machine can be rebooted to run Windows on the Intel platform.

Is the hardware any faster in OSX than it would be running in native Windows? I would think not if they're not using emulation in a virtual machine.

VMs can be slow because of the translation needed to run the different code, and the fact that everything has to go through the host operating system. In the VM graphics maybe limited due to an emulated display driver instead of a native, direct-to-hardware, driver. I heard that Vmware has some kind of display accelerator that helps with CAD/CAM applictions in virtual machines. I think Parallels also has fast graphics as well, but I'm not sure about this.

Just my thoughts on this.

John

Trainz for Mac was never completed. It faded away without comment from Auran (even to the beta testers).

Doubt we'll see other port attempts at this point, since the market is (relatively) small and Auran is, itself, a smaller company.

Diego

Shame that there isn't more publisher interest out there for it. I really don't want to foul up my OS X partition with Windows just for one game, but every time I visit my Dad's house (avid user) I get the urge to start up a layout.

The Macs-don't-do-games sentiment just doesn't hold water, if not in 2008 when the comments were made, then certainly not now in 2010 with Steam coming to the Mac, EA's Mac love, and the growing gaming beheamoths of the iPhone and iPad. I'd love to see Trainz-on-Mac happen.

Shame that there isn't more publisher interest out there for it. I really don't want to foul up my OS X partition with Windows just for one game, but every time I visit my Dad's house (avid user) I get the urge to start up a layout.

The Macs-don't-do-games sentiment just doesn't hold water, if not in 2008 when the comments were made, then certainly not now in 2010 with Steam coming to the Mac, EA's Mac love, and the growing gaming beheamoths of the iPhone and iPad. I'd love to see Trainz-on-Mac happen.

The question boils down to whether or not there are enough Mac trainz users to justify the $100,000-200,000 it would likely cost to hire the staff (1-2 devs) to port the project and maintain it.

My guess is, there isn't.

Works really fine with Crossover on Mac despite is declared as completely incompatible. Content Manager is a problem.
Couldn't the developer team join Crossover's developer team and fix those glitches with little effort for both?

Warning *Apple related speculation*

While I don't think the iPad has the processing power to run TS2010, I wonder if it would have the power to run TRS04?

Simple heres what mac software is good for surfing the web and and other processes but macs are not I repeat not gaming material. Windows is better for games not siding with windows. The problem is that beause so little own macs and there cost causes companies to say well look why make things for mac when windows is what most people use so for mac software to come out I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. FYI I have had problems with apple before they claim there perfect yea right!

Simple heres what mac software is good for surfing the web and and other processes but macs are not I repeat not gaming material. Windows is better for games not siding with windows. The problem is that beause so little own macs and there cost causes companies to say well look why make things for mac when windows is what most people use so for mac software to come out I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. FYI I have had problems with apple before they claim there perfect yea right!

Ah, time machine back to 2005--both in terms of market share and capability. :hehe: Thanks for the laugh! http://trainzportal.com/product_trainz_ipad.php http://trainzportal.com/product_trainz_mac.php

To each his own.

Back