UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

Another post from me, my other project which I am currently seeming to take more interest in. My recent project is based on the area of Dodworth. I've used Google Maps for referencing of the area and I'm hoping to further the line on to Barnsley and the rest of the Penistone line towards Huddersfield. This is a WIP and I've just started this about 2 days ago so there isnt mainly any textures, buildings etc. down yet. Bare with me! Anyway, Enjoy!:cool:

Decided to have a go at content creation (sort of).
mast.png

If anyone lives in Manchester, Bolton, Wigan or Preston, you'll probably recognise this. I needed a tall transmitter, which I found to my disappointment there wasn't any. I took the 3d Model of the Winter Hill transmitter from the Google SketchUp warehouse and made a few modifications (such as retexturing and adjusting the colours), then exported into Trainz, and it doesn't look too bad. The Guy wires need sorting out and at present are just a grey cable-like spline. Once I've double checked the licence terms regarding models on the SketchUp warehouse I'll make it my first ever DLS upload. I'll have a version with and without the guy wires.

From the rest of the route: Part of my South Coast Mainline, where the track starts gaining altitude and starts winding around valleys more.
scml.png

As posted in another thread, but more appropriate to this one. And it is STILL not in Trainz just yet.

I'm not happy with it, the lamp holders seem to be wrong (I'm tempted to model a BARDIC and stick it on one of them), the bottom 2 lights seem to be in the wrong place and I know there is no air pipes yet.

Decided to have a go at content creation (sort of).
If anyone lives in Manchester, Bolton, Wigan or Preston, you'll probably recognise this. I needed a tall transmitter, which I found to my disappointment there wasn't any. I took the 3d Model of the Winter Hill transmitter from the Google SketchUp warehouse and made a few modifications (such as retexturing and adjusting the colours), then exported into Trainz, and it doesn't look too bad. The Guy wires need sorting out and at present are just a grey cable-like spline. Once I've double checked the licence terms regarding models on the SketchUp warehouse I'll make it my first ever DLS upload. I'll have a version with and without the guy wires.

hmm, it's Sketchup, so how many polys is it?

Paul

Last edited:
Wow...Nexus...that last one is truly stunning. I think Trainz has actually managed to overtake RailSim in the graphics department.
Now let's go back in time to the early 60's...who can guess the locations (hint- they are in close proximity to each other!)
84d16013183ed0cec36a49240898d9e6.jpg

90c2ae356b5ed9c67a2c0fd8f1ecaa7f.jpg

047a89171a4402aa52974c80fa54d40b.jpg

I'm not from the UK, so I'm gonna say,

"I have never seen a Southern electric locomotive with a panto in the middle."

Am I right?

Its a Class 70 locomotive, (not to be confused with the diesel variant.) In this case, its CC3 or later when it was built, numbered 20003. It had a pantograph for using in sidings as the third rail was considered too dangerous, but ended up more often than not running under the third rail. There are 2 other similiar locos, numbered CC1 and CC2 which were built around the 1940s by the Southern Railway, whereas CC3 was built by British Railways and originally appeared in "freight black". Curiously, it never wore BR Blue with yellow ends and was withdrawn earlier than the other 2. It did however wear 2 variants of BR Green, gained a headcode box at some point in its life and a few other mods.

For the record, they are nicknamed Boosters because the way the traction equipment works. Rather than the 3rd rail driving resistor grids which then drive traction motors which then power the train like a multiple unit (which can get away with it as there is usually a great big whopping bus bar going between the coaches carrying current set at a nominal voltage of 750v), the third rail drives a massive flywheel through an equally massive motor. The idea of this, is when the locos encounter a gap, the flywheel takes over, powering the train for a short distance, giving it an extra "boost" past the third rail gap. And you thought you needed a diesel engine to do that.

I also have a model which typical of me, still hasn't completed yet, but its far closer to completion than my latest one.

More information about them can be found here: http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_oth/coCoElectric.aspx

Last edited:
-

Wow...Nexus...that last one is truly stunning. I think Trainz has actually managed to overtake RailSim in the graphics department.
Now let's go back in time to the early 60's...who can guess the locations (hint- they are in close proximity to each other!)

I'm going to take a guess, I'm guessing all 3 locations are around London as thats where the 4 track main lines are. The era depicted rules out the Kent coast as that was electrified around 1958 - 1960. I wouldn't say the South Western Main Line (I know that all too well now) and CC3 was found more commonly on the central divison, so I'm guessing somewhere around Croydon, for the first shot, I'm guessing is a depiction of the junction north of Norwood Junction, second a depiction of NWJ itself, third I'm going to take a wild stab, Anerley, going with the Croydon theme.

Last edited:
ot it! It is indeed the SWML between Woking and Pirbright Junction. The top screenshot shows CC3 coming off the Alton line, then passing through Brookwood and finally arriving in Woking. Bear in mind that it is a WIP and the track arrangement at Woking is incorrect as I'm using a placeholder station building for now.

PFX: Wow! Had to take a second look at that photo/screenshot! The detail of the trackwork is amazing. Can I ask about all elements of it please? The track, the 3rd rail, the paved cover, the ballast...

Thanks,
Paulper

Thanks Paulper.

I'll own up to the light corona having been added using a bit of photo manipulation but the track is a combination of a number of assets as follows.

The section with the points is Protrack F Sandstone/Concrete by andi06 - kuid:122285:80106

The 3rd rail track is NEX LP UK FB Conc Dmac DkGrey 3rd by nexusdj - kuid:45317:105704

The additional 3rd rail on the Protrack is a spline, UK 3rd rail spline with LOD, again by nexusdj - kuid:45317:103700

The electrical cable between the 3rd rails is Hose industrial 50mm 01 by dinorius_redundicus - kuid2:68213:37009:1

The ballast texture is Protrack NSWGR clean stone ballast to ground transition by elstoko - kuid2:368725:55007:1

Hope that helps?
Innis

Last edited:
Good to see a profusion of Southern third rail on here. Damn Nathan you may have beaten me to it, I too have started working on that area, the DEMs have all been sorted and some of the buildings have been started. Aldershot Station building ....

30539487811_a08e7187da_c.jpg

Here is something more Northern.
30510537652_e4edc6fb99_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking station building there...I'm not doing the Alton Line, so I don't think our routes will clash too much :p:D
Here's Farnborough:
968dad72d460636dff32db740f518b7d.jpg

Your attempt will probably be better than mine anyway, I didn't bother with a DEM. I'm doing it off Google Earth, photos, and the payware MSTS version!

Back