TUTORIAL: How to use Topo Maps in Trainz

colorado71

TUTORIAL: How to use Topo Maps in Trainz

A. USING OF GLOBAL MAPPER
1. Configuration of Global Mapper
Install Global Mapper on your computer. Download custom_shaders rar from
http://trainz.uv.ro/tutorial/files/custom_shaders.rar
Unpack the archive and copy the file custom_shaders.txt in the installation folder of Global Mapper.
Run Global Mapper and select the option spectrum_trainz from “shader” bar on the program’s tool bar.
2. Georeference your topo map
Select the map (scanned map, satellite image, topo map etc.) you want to reproduce in trainz. You must know the geographical coordinates (latitude and longitude) of two points on it, so you can georeference it with Global Mapper.
From the File Menu of Global Mapper select “Rectify (Georeference) Imagery” click OK and select your image. Open it and the dialog box “Image Rectifier” will appear. Zoom the image over the first point of which coordinates you know, select it, insert its latitudinal and longitudinal position as __/__/___ (for example 21/38/45) and press “add GCP to list.” Proceed in the same manner with the second point. Save the image as GeoTIFF.
3. Select your future trainz map
a) Open the map thus created with GlobalMapper. From the File Menu select “Export Raster and Elevation Data” – “Export GeoTIFF.” In the dialog box which appear select “Export Bounds” and press “Draw a Box.” Select the area of your future trainz map and save it as GeoTIFF.
b) From the File Menu select “Download Online Imagery/Topo/Terrain Maps” (or simple open the DEM map for the area of your image map). Select the server from which you want to download the digital elevation map (http://seamless.usgs.gov/ or http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ for example) and then press OK. From the File Menu select “Export Raster and Elevation Data” – “Export DEM,” then select “Export Bounds” in the dialog box, and finally, press “Reset to Last Exported Bounds.”

B. USING OF MICRODEM
1. Open your DEM in Microdem. Modify Display Parameter, Grid and Map Area as in Wewain’s Tutorial from
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wewain/trainz/Surveyor/Baseboard/Topology/TerrainGeneration/Computer-generatedTerrain.htm
and save the Targa (.tga) file.
2. Open your GeoTIFF image in Microdem and Modify Grid and Map Area in the same manner as in the Wewain’s Tutorial, and save the Targa (.tga) file.

C. USING OF HOG
Put the two .tga files in Hog folder and proceed as in the Wewain’s Tutorial.

D. USING OF IRFANVIEW
If you receive from hog the message “Error: Size don’t match the size of elevation data image,” open the elevation data image .tga file and note the current size from Image – Information.
Open the other file and from Image – Resize/Resample – Set New Size modify the size to match with that of the elevation data image.
Return to the USING OF HOG.

E. IMPORT YOUR NEW MAP IN TRAINZ
Proceed as in the Wewain’s Tutorial.

Note:
For US you ca use topo maps from
http://www.mapcruzin.com/usgs-drg-topo-topographics-maps/usgs-drg-topographic-maps.htm
with homonym 7.5 min dems from
http://www.webgis.com/terr_us75m.html

Last edited:
There are some people who say this method can be used without Microdem, with more good visibility and clarity of the map in Surveyor. I am just a beginner user of GlobalMapper, and also my time is very limited, but I am hopefully that those who will discover the right way will impart it with others.

Last edited:
It is of no use to modify your topo map geotiff in the Microdem. Just rectify its size to match with that of the elevation data image. In this way you will keep unaltered the colors of your topographic map.

Last edited:
For a better clarity of the map's lines in surveyor, open the topographic map's .tga file in the Irfanview and from the Image menu apply "Sharpen" and "Auto adjust colors" functions.

It is of no use to modify your topo map geotiff in the Microdem. Just rectify its size to match with that of the elevation data image. In this way you will keep unaltered the colors of your topographic map.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tutorial.

Have saved it and will look into into it as need to improve on the method I am using for hog and microdem.

Barry

Sure, the rectified maps must be converted to UTM projection. Also for a better view of the map in the Surveyor can be used some photo paint softwares like Corel Photopaint, Adobe Photoshop or free ones, like Paint.Net.

Sure, the rectified maps must be converted to UTM projection. Also for a better view of the map in the Surveyor can be used some photo paint softwares like Corel Photopaint, Adobe Photoshop or free ones, like Paint.Net.

Last edited:
What do you think of maps done with transdem?

All the maps i got from the Irish program use transdem, ehat do you think of it compared with the others. I find the maps quite good, they can easy get out of focus if you like working in 800 x 600 like me proby rather be in a higher res.

Tom

I have not used the Transdem yet. But maybe in a not too far future, I will buy it. However, it is a great challenge for me to try to explore all existent posibilities.

Hi coloradoIs,
Is this the same sort of thing as SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) data, which allows you to download .hgt files?
I have a folder full of these covering S. & W. Wales and the Bristol Area, UK.
I was hoping to use these in my route production.
Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe. However, if you have a rectified topo map (if not, you can geo-rectify it with Global Mapper, as in Tutorial) you can download the digital elevation model for it, directly with Global Mapper, using the option "Download online imagery..." from File menu. Also, if you have just digital elevation model, in some cases (as for USA, for example, maybe also for UK and other countries, i don't know) you can download the topographic overlay by selecting the same option.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe. However, if you have a rectified topo map (if not, you can geo-rectify it with Global Mapper, as in Tutorial) you can download the digital elevation model for it, directly with Global Mapper, using the option "Download online imagery..." from File menu. Also, if you have just digital elevation model, in some cases (as for USA, for example, maybe also for UK and other countries, i don't know) you can download the topographic overlay by selecting the same option.

Thanks 'C'
I'll copy and print out your Tutorial (If you don't mind), and give it a try.
If it is similar to SRTM I might be able to convert my files, otherwise I'll make a new folder.
Thanks again
Pete.

No problem. But the video tutorial from trainz.uv.ro is not mine. As I said, it is created and published by the administrator of Trainz Romania. I am just a beginner user of Global Mapper and there many unknown points for me, also.
I hope you will find the best way and will impart it with others.
Good luck,
Radu

Last edited:
I think the best way to make a topo map visible in Suveryor is to follow the next steps:
-after exporting it from GlobalMapper, open the map in MicrosoftPaint and draw the route with the Line tool;
-open the map in Photoshop and apply the HOG palette from: Image-Mode-Indexed Color-Palette;
-open the map in IrfanView and apply two times the Sharpen function;
-resize the map to match the terrain .tga and save it as .tga (optionally the Sharpen tool can be applied again, if it is necessary);
-save the map as a separate .tga file and open it in Photoshop to create the filter file;
-put all the three files in HOG folder and create the mapfile.gnd.

G'day scorpio48,

Global Mapper will open ALL SRTM data files even if they are still in their *.zip format or if they have been extracted to the *.hgt format. Use the "Open Data Files" option from the Files Menu or click on the 'Open' icon from the Toolbar. You can then set the 'filter' of the Open Dialogue Box that displays the available files to any of the readable files types (or leave it set for "All Files") so as to select (by double-clicking) the file you wish to open.

Jerker {:)}

...holy two-cows...!

:cool: ...wait a minute...I Googled Global Mapper off your posts...

How much does it cost?

Back