Trainz: A New Era Pre-Orders Have Now Arrived! - Visit our Information Page to find out more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: How to use Topo Maps in Trainz

Default TUTORIAL: How to use Topo Maps in Trainz

TUTORIAL: How to use Topo Maps in Trainz

A. USING OF GLOBAL MAPPER
    1. Configuration of Global Mapper
    Install Global Mapper on your computer. Download custom_shaders rar from
    http://trainz.uv.ro/tutorial/files/custom_shaders.rar
    Unpack the archive and copy the file custom_shaders.txt in the installation folder of Global Mapper.
    Run Global Mapper and select the option spectrum_trainz from “shader” bar on the program’s tool bar.
    2. Georeference your topo map
    Select the map (scanned map, satellite image, topo map etc.) you want to reproduce in trainz. You must know the geographical coordinates (latitude and longitude) of two points on it, so you can georeference it with Global Mapper.
    From the File Menu of Global Mapper select “Rectify (Georeference) Imagery” click OK and select your image. Open it and the dialog box “Image Rectifier” will appear. Zoom the image over the first point of which coordinates you know, select it, insert its latitudinal and longitudinal position as __/__/___ (for example 21/38/45) and press “add GCP to list.” Proceed in the same manner with the second point. Save the image as GeoTIFF.
    3. Select your future trainz map
    a) Open the map thus created with GlobalMapper. From the File Menu select “Export Raster and Elevation Data” – “Export GeoTIFF.” In the dialog box which appear select “Export Bounds” and press “Draw a Box.” Select the area of your future trainz map and save it as GeoTIFF.
    b) From the File Menu select “Download Online Imagery/Topo/Terrain Maps” (or simple open the DEM map for the area of your image map). Select the server from which you want to download the digital elevation map (http://seamless.usgs.gov/ or http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ for example) and then press OK. From the File Menu select “Export Raster and Elevation Data” – “Export DEM,” then select “Export Bounds” in the dialog box, and finally, press “Reset to Last Exported Bounds.”

B. USING OF MICRODEM
    1. Open your DEM in Microdem. Modify Display Parameter, Grid and Map Area as in Wewain’s Tutorial from
    http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wewain/trainz/Surveyor/Baseboard/Topology/TerrainGeneration/Computer-generatedTerrain.htm
    and save the Targa (.tga) file.
    2. Open your GeoTIFF image in Microdem and Modify Grid and Map Area in the same manner as in the Wewain’s Tutorial, and save the Targa (.tga) file.

C. USING OF HOG
    Put the two .tga files in Hog folder and proceed as in the Wewain’s Tutorial.

D. USING OF IRFANVIEW
    If you receive from hog the message “Error: Size don’t match the size of elevation data image,” open the elevation data image .tga file and note the current size from Image – Information.
    Open the other file and from Image – Resize/Resample – Set New Size modify the size to match with that of the elevation data image.
    Return to the USING OF HOG.

E. IMPORT YOUR NEW MAP IN TRAINZ
    Proceed as in the Wewain’s Tutorial.

Note:
    For US you ca use topo maps from
    http://www.mapcruzin.com/usgs-drg-to...aphic-maps.htm
    with homonym 7.5 min dems from
    http://www.webgis.com/terr_us75m.html
    Last edited by colorado71; July 19th, 2008 at 02:35 AM.

Copied, pasted and saved! Thank you!

There are some people who say this method can be used without Microdem, with more good visibility and clarity of the map in Surveyor. I am just a beginner user of GlobalMapper, and also my time is very limited, but I am hopefully that those who will discover the right way will impart it with others.
    Last edited by colorado71; July 17th, 2008 at 12:03 PM.

Okay, I printed it out.
    When I get more time I'll have to try it out.

Claude

It is of no use to modify your topo map geotiff in the Microdem. Just rectify its size to match with that of the elevation data image. In this way you will keep unaltered the colors of your topographic map.
    Last edited by colorado71; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:55 AM.

For a better clarity of the map's lines in surveyor, open the topographic map's .tga file in the Irfanview and from the Image menu apply "Sharpen" and "Auto adjust colors" functions.

It is of no use to modify your topo map geotiff in the Microdem. Just rectify its size to match with that of the elevation data image. In this way you will keep unaltered the colors of your topographic map.
    Last edited by colorado71; August 8th, 2008 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Have saved it and will look into into it as need to improve on the method I am using for hog and microdem.

Barry

Sure, the rectified maps must be converted to UTM projection. Also for a better view of the map in the Surveyor can be used some photo paint softwares like Corel Photopaint, Adobe Photoshop or free ones, like Paint.Net.

Sure, the rectified maps must be converted to UTM projection. Also for a better view of the map in the Surveyor can be used some photo paint softwares like Corel Photopaint, Adobe Photoshop or free ones, like Paint.Net.
    Last edited by colorado71; August 29th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Default What do you think of maps done with transdem?

All the maps i got from the Irish program use transdem, ehat do you think of it compared with the others. I find the maps quite good, they can easy get out of focus if you like working in 800 x 600 like me proby rather be in a higher res.

Tom
    Toshiba A8 AMD 1.9 Quad, 12gb mem, Radeon Dual Video 640GB HD 06 ,TC3 & 09 + CCC & 12 + on main computer, UTC & 04 On Netbook

I have not used the Transdem yet. But maybe in a not too far future, I will buy it. However, it is a great challenge for me to try to explore all existent posibilities.

Now there is a video tutorial on how to create a trainz map using Global Mapper, made by the administrator of Trainz Romania and published at
    http://trainz.uv.ro/tutorial/tut_gm_01.html
    On this web site I found for the first time idea of using Global Mapper to create a trainz map.
    At the address
    http://trainz.uv.ro/tutorial/tut_gm_02.html
    on the top of the page can be find the download links for the files used in the tutorial.

Hi coloradoIs,
    Is this the same sort of thing as SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) data, which allows you to download .hgt files?
    I have a folder full of these covering S. & W. Wales and the Bristol Area, UK.
    I was hoping to use these in my route production.
    Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by scorpio48; September 3rd, 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Typo

I don't know. Maybe. However, if you have a rectified topo map (if not, you can geo-rectify it with Global Mapper, as in Tutorial) you can download the digital elevation model for it, directly with Global Mapper, using the option "Download online imagery..." from File menu. Also, if you have just digital elevation model, in some cases (as for USA, for example, maybe also for UK and other countries, i don't know) you can download the topographic overlay by selecting the same option.
    Last edited by colorado71; September 3rd, 2008 at 09:27 AM.