NYCTA! pics!

I think it should all be on one route because most subway lines in NYC are close to eachother. If they were several miles from eachother, then that could probably be done.

My NYCTA Mega-Route will be all one route. I'm still debating what to do with it--as far as what tunnels to use and stuff. Back when I was working on the first version of the route with JeffMorris' stations and the U-Bahn tunnels and tracks, the size was really small.

Hey ace nice shots did you by any chance fix the gap problem?
For the stations? Yes. I re-released them a few weeks back.

Which is exactly what's happening, I think. You could still make the 2 GB map, it would just have to be posted as a zipped archive rather than a CDP due to file size restrictions on the CDP format.

* To publish as a ZIP file:
1) Open the asset for edit in Explorer.
2) Go up one level; the asset folder should be selected.
3) Send the folder to a compressed (ZIP) folder.
4) Upload to a site that allows files of that size.

* To publish as a RAR file:
1) Download and install WinRAR if you have not yet done so.
2) Make a note of your host site's file size limit.
3) Make sure that in your WinRAR context menu settings (Options > Settings > Integration > Context menu items...) that you have "Add to archive..." checked.
4) Perform steps 1 and 2 as indicated for ZIP files.
5) Right-click on the asset folder and select WinRAR > Add to archive...
6) Name the archive and have it "Split to volumes, size" whatever your host site permits. You can choose in this step to publish as a ZIP file.
7) Upload all archive files to the host site.
Thanks for this--I knew how to do this already, but it's good to not have to rack my brain in case I forget!

I think it would make sense to separate the IRT and BMT as different maps/routes...

Officially (I use that term in this sense loosely), I am in charge of the A Division and BStyles is tackling B Division, for the release of the routes when they're completed. On the side, I am working on the entire NYCTA system, but as stated above, I have an old CDP from October 2011 that I just uploaded, but with different assets. I'll have to check and see just how big the CDP/route/session is once I get a significant portion of the system done. I haven't started building on that yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what the size is once I complete all of Manhattan--that should give some perspective on what the rest of the route is going to be like.

Pics below!

-A :wave:

We're Movin' On Up!!

And as promised---progress!
75px-NYCS-bull-trans-1_svg.png
service now extended to 168 St full time. Tracks north of 168 (not built yet!) used for layups and the single crossover for switching. Some trains lay up at 137 as well.

IRTProgress2013-4.jpg

168 St, overhead view (notice the elevations)
trainz2013-02-0521-24-30-25.png

145 St, Downtown Platform
trainz2013-02-0521-25-08-32.png

137 St Yard:

View from 145 St
trainz2013-02-0521-25-24-35.png

View from 137 St
trainz2013-02-0521-25-48-80.png

Platform View @ 137
trainz2013-02-0521-25-39-48.png

Enjoy!

-A
ph34r.png

Last one of the night:

Layups north of 168 St with appropriate home signals. Left one is G-Y-R on the top head, and only Y-R on the bottom (diverge moves only), and the right is G-Y-R on top, and only G-R on bottom (no diverge move available since it's a trailing point switch). Eventually these tracks will go further up and into the Bronx, which I hope to get to tomorrow afternoon!

trainz2013-02-0522-08-39-25.png

Enjoy and have a great night folks!

-A
ph34r.png

Well, we aren't in the Bronx yet, but at least the (1) has reached it's final (northerly) Manhattan stop. Service now runs from 215 St to 34 St, all times. Trains can lay up on the middle track or downtown track via switches north of 215. Also, to ease congestion, one-third of the trains terminate at Dyckman St, and use that middle track for storage, all the way up to 215 St, so there's plenty of room!

Service Update
IRTProgress2013-5.jpg

I re-did the Manhattan Valley Viaduct using Ish6's excellent subway items
trainz2013-02-0711-39-01-51.png

trainz2013-02-0711-35-11-75.png

Dyckman St & Fort George Tunnel
trainz2013-02-0712-43-28-30.png

Credit for the tracks goes to Samplaire! Go check them out!
trainz2013-02-0712-44-01-75.png

207 St, and B-Div yard lead
trainz2013-02-0713-10-48-64.png

trainz2013-02-0713-25-55-19.png

207 to Dyckman, looking south
trainz2013-02-0712-44-13-10.png

215 St and layups
trainz2013-02-0713-25-47-76.png

Enjoy! Tonight, and into tomorrow, construction will begin south of 34 St, to Chambers St. Weekend work will add (2) service as an express between 96 and 14, and have all trains terminate there so the line can be built from Chambers, south to the Ferry, and to the East River tunnels into Brooklyn.

-A
ph34r.png

Acelejalde. That is some amazing work. I ride the one line every now and then and all everything looks correct. Awesome job:)

Thank you! I decided to forego some details, like that wild intersection at the Dyckman St station (I think like five roads converge there??); I also am not sure if I'm going to include the 207 St yard in its entirety, since it's a B Division yard, and I'm not even really sure how many A Division trains use it. If I decide to go forward with the Mega route, and use the IRT route as a jump start, then maybe I'll end up building the yard. I just need to make sure not to kill my FPS. Still debating!

I know some of the trains that use that yard. The R62 1 train, an R142A and R142 set here and there. One time, I saw the R62's from the 7 line go into that yard. Further north, there is another yard around Vancortlandt Park that the R62 1 and 3 trains use. Last week before I had to rework the Major Tri State Area, I put the 207th street yard in the route. Alot of track work in the yards. I used the SAM track for the yard and the frames stayed above 70 so making the yard should not kill frame rates.

Thank you! I decided to forego some details, like that wild intersection at the Dyckman St station (I think like five roads converge there??); I also am not sure if I'm going to include the 207 St yard in its entirety, since it's a B Division yard, and I'm not even really sure how many A Division trains use it. If I decide to go forward with the Mega route, and use the IRT route as a jump start, then maybe I'll end up building the yard. I just need to make sure not to kill my FPS. Still debating!

You should make a backup of u route before u PC CRASHES again.

Already ten steps ahead of you Mikey, but thanks for the reminder. At Malik, thanks for the information. All A-Division yards in their entirety will be included on this route--I was iffy on 207 because technically it's a B-Division yard.

I know that 207th Street and Coney Island Yards have overhauling shops. I think that IRT subway cars usually go to those yards for major work. I'm not sure if IRT subway trains are stored in 207th Street Yard.

Hey Ace ive been away from subways for while could you post the link to the fixed stations again cuz i cant find the link?

Hey Ace ive been away from subways for while could you post the link to the fixed stations again cuz i cant find the link?

This post should help: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...Pack-Development-Thread&p=1087873#post1087873

To acelejade: about the 'other' shots in the last page of the thread, that is the most HUGE-IST subway yard I have ever seen!!!!! You can fit like a 2x12-car R46s in there! PS. Because of the details (bio) says u live in NY, I hope you'll be safe in the snowstorm of 'Nemo'. You could get a power outage.

Last edited:
Good Morning All,

Looking through the thread I have seen some awesome route and content makling guys --- well done !! :udrool:

Suggestion for the layout makers~

A long time ago I did an elevated route using my contents, and what I did to the surround elevated track is used Dave's contents, forum name dmdrake -- He has the best contents that can be use to cover the surrounding elevated tracks -- he made NYC, Chicago and other low-rise buildings that will cater to any elevated type of route, etc! -- and also low-rise spline buildings which can be stretch for a fast pace in surrounding the tracks!

Regards
Ish

Thanks Ish for the suggestion. I have been looking ahead for some scenery objects, because once the Lenox branch is done and I finish downtown, everything else on the route will be all elevated: (1) to 242 St, the Bronx (4) & (6), and the (7), so I'm gonna need to make it look pretty!

Also, are you still working on any NYCTA stuff? Your stuff (along with Jeff's) is fantastic and is a precursor to the content B & I are currently putting out.

Thanks Ish for the suggestion. I have been looking ahead for some scenery objects, because once the Lenox branch is done and I finish downtown, everything else on the route will be all elevated: (1) to 242 St, the Bronx (4) & (6), and the (7), so I'm gonna need to make it look pretty!

Also, are you still working on any NYCTA stuff? Your stuff (along with Jeff's) is fantastic and is a precursor to the content B & I are currently putting out.

Good Morning A

Sorry -- no -- I stop working on NYCTA contents ages ago --- the stuff that you and B are making are awesome, much better then mine, especially for today's Trainz --- my stuff is old since it was designed from a Trainz 4 point of view, etc

As for the suggestion, yeah, check out Dave's contents to be use with elevated tracks, etc --- it's perfect!!!! He has also made dozens of splines which can make the work go faster in setting it all up on boards --- Another trick is to use streets and intersections under the elevated tracks at least once on each board .... but you DO NOT expand outward -- Just under the EL to keep the illusion .... an extra tip -- optional but what I did was to also use billboards sceneries for the baseboard edges ---- so the only area that is not cover with contents sit just behind the spline buildings, and that can be painted black if you like --- if the driver stays in cab mode it will look very real and the board will look crowded with contents when it is actually not --- oh, one last thing, add lots of people to the side walks below so you as the Cab drive you can see the people down below -- lol ...

I did all this at a time when there wasn't that much contents, and it worked well, so with so much contents today, and better good looking streets It really should look great --- And let me add that it's quite a fast pace once you said it all up in one board, the second, third, etc becomes natural in setting the sceneries!

Hope all this is helpful in further developing the NYCTA!!!

Ish

Is anyone building the newer stock trains (R142, R160, R188)? I know there are some already on the DLS but their bogeys lack third rail shoes.

Back