NYCTA! pics!

The tracks are the newest phase in V2. I realized that the other ones didn't do so well on curves, had an excessive amount of textured faces, and when dragged out, literally disappeared from the map to compensate.

The new tracks use a lot less polygons, and a lot less textures. Instead of getting over a dozen different textures for different faces I simply took one large overhead of the trackbed and mapped it over the entire model, minus the steel girders and other effects, leaving space to add detail where it is necessary. Now that it is symmetrical, instead of being 5 meters it can now be 2.5 meters, allowing for sharper curves and smoother trackage, and even less polygons.

For now though, I don't work with anything bite sized. :p When it is all over and done with, I will reduce them to 2.5 meters, but in this picture, you can clearly see the difference and the amount of reduction that has been made.
MadeWithOverlay.png

had an excessive amount of textured faces, and when dragged out, literally disappeared from the map to compensate.

So, is this why when I add more to the route, stuff disappears and re-appears at random ?

If this helps fixes that problem, you sir as made my day !

Suggestion

BStyles and acelejade, do not take this suggestion the wrong way. I love all of your content, and I have every piece of it that I could find. I do not want you to think of me as one of those people who is constantly begging for new content to come out as fast as it can, and look good in whatever route they are building. I can understand if you do not like it, but again, it is just a suggestion.

I understand you guys have your hands quite full now; BStyles with the NYCTA tunnels and the Bombadier R142 Subway Car, BVE, new tracks and stations from what I can see, acelejade with the BART route, BART A/B/C Car, mainly BART content, and the Tunnels. Well enough talking, here is my suggestion. Through all of the content, I have seen that most of it is for underground. I have seen lots of exterior items, but not many have been released, the only ones being BStyles Elevated packs, and his El Tracks. I have seen some pictures of the Sea Beach and Brighton Lines that has plenty of exterior content.

I am not sure if this content is coming in the near future, or is going to be a part of the NYCTA SuperPack. Again, this is just a suggestion, and I can see that your hands are full with your various projects. After the tunnels are completed, or you are just looking for your next move, this is what I think y'all should do.

Take your time with all the content, I know it is hard work after experimenting with SketchUp, Autodesk Maya, and Adobe Lightroom CS5. This is just my suggestion if you are looking for a next move. Oh, to clarify exterior content, I am talking about the OpenCut content on p 94 from the Sea Beach and Brighton Lines. Keep up the good work guys, I could only dream to make such wonderful creations.

Last edited:
These suggestions are duly noted and are already part of the plans for the super pack. We are focusing on the underground portions first because: a) people like to build massive underground routes because it does not involve a bunch of scenery; b) it's more difficult to model than surface/el pieces (IMHO); c) there is a desperate need to update the stuff Magicland released---that stuff is almost 10 years old. Since the breakthrough BStyles has made with the texturing for tracks, we are implementing that on all of our future releases--so everything you've seen up to this point will be periodically updated, including the OpenCut content on the Brighton & Sea Beach lines.

Thanks for actually taking the time to word your post carefully! It didn't come off as needy as all.

As always, keep your eyes peeled!

-A :wave:

P.S. @aking4125: that's exactly where your problem stems from. That's why the (4) and (6) in the Bronx are on hold for me right now as they are very el heavy.

Last edited:
Hey guys whats up I recently tried to go on the NYC Transit Forums Trainz page and it keeps saying 402 Forbidden. Anyone knows whats going on??

Coming to think of it, I like the way BStyles made the tracks look more realistic, using less polys. That is the combination of Science and Math right there. I am sure people would say the newer tracks have more polys than the older ones, just by looking. This is truly excellent work.

I hear that making Sketchup, your assets will have an absolutely huge amount of polys, (over GMax & Blender) and will adversely effect framerates in Trainz.

I hear that making Sketchup, your assets will have an absolutely huge amount of polys, (over GMax & Blender) and will adversely effect framerates in Trainz.

Well it does, but it depends on what you make. Sketchup uses an extrusion panel, which means that you can take a simple face and make it into a cubed figure(or cylindrical, it depends on what you're trying to make). What I did was I decided to abolish that completely, which is why the newer models came out with less polys than the original. Plus with textures, there are a lot of details that I didn't need to make faces out of.

The R142 seems to run very efficiently so far, but it could be better. A lot of circular faces will become hexagonal or even pentagonal.

Back