Which Version to get?

2stepsteve

Hi all sorry for the maybe obvious question.. I can't seem to get a straight answer..

I used to play trainz many years ago and would like to start again with it. I'm really confused with all the versions that are on sale.. 2006, 2007, ultimate.. ahh.

I live in the UK could you please tell me what is the best version to get?

Many thanks

... I don't think I could wait the time it takes to deliver from auran :)
You may want to try if you don't want the Just Trains release which requires the disk to be in the drive while running the program....as far as which version, there is a wealth of info on this forum about each that should help you decide....or you can let someone decide for you...your choice...:cool:

I may be shot down but I like to speak my mind :).. I don't get Auran with the amount of verisons of trainz that are out there. I can't be the only one that thinks it is abit crazy and confusing. I think it should be clear cut what the current most up to date version is and what is exactly on the CD/DVD instead of fumbling around with different packaged names on the front of the box..

I don't mean to dig.. but it does seem like abit of a confused mess. It is hard work for a new person to understand what is going on with trainz.. and believe me i'm not one that doesnt even attempted to do his own homework, i've read posts and googled and wiki'ed.. and i'm still very confused.

I'm still aren't even sure of the difference between 2004 and 2006.. addons are they compatible..

Last edited:
I may be shot down but I like to speak my mind :).. I don't get Auran with the amount of verisons of trainz that are out there. I can't be the only one that thinks it is abit crazy and confusing. I think it should be clear cut what the current most up to date version is and what is exactly on the CD/DVD instead of fumbling around with different packaged names on the front of the box..

I don't mean to dig.. but it is hard work for a new person to understand what is going on with trainz.. and believe me i'm not one that doesnt even attempted to do his own homework, i've read a few posts and googled and wiki'ed.. and i'm still very confused.

I've already been shot down, but I'm still flying :wave:. As I stated in another thread, TRS2004 is the best buy. It seems to the be stabler of all the versions up that point. TRS2006 is iffy at best. As for Trainz Classic, Ultimate Trainz Collection, etc, these are no more than an amalgam of previous releases at a higher price.

I see :) thanks for that CasyJ.. So TRS2004 and TRS2006 have no grapical changed or improvements on the engine?

Hehe good to see ur still flying :D

I see :) thanks for that CasyJ.. So TRS2004 and TRS2006 have no grapical changed or improvements on the engine?

That depends.
The official statement was something like: "2004 uses some content that was made incorrectly and that may cause problems such as crashes or lower frame rates as the game engine exhausts itself working around aforementioned incorrectly made assets."

Now 2006 comes with a utility called Content Manager Plus, which will not let you install faulty assets, so you must fix them as they are installed. The assets can be fixed for 2004, and Trainz Objects is a great utility to help you do this, but 2004 will allow you to install and use "faulty" content without fixing it.

If you accept that line of reasoning, then by repairing the content when it is installed into 2004 or 2006, you may increase playability and frame rates. Some find 2006 stable on their machines, some find 2004 stable...it's a crap shoot.

Trainz Classics also uses CMP, and the bulk of the complaints about TC and 2006 stem from it, as it does take some getting used to.

The odd thing is, the built in content of 2004 was carried into 2006, and some into TC. Most of it was not repaired, but CMP was given orders to overlook the faults in built in content. TC is reported to run the best out of all the versions due to improved coding, but it hobbled by a general lack of content, the fact that the default content is either not present, or must be unlocked, and the intentional future evolution of the program means there is no "code lock". TC does have new features, such as one way roads, and headlamps on automobiles.

I have all versions of Trainz, but use 2006, only because I like to see the AI run with headlamps on all the time. I spent many hours repairing up wards of 7000 items when I transferred my content from 2004, but I feel it's been worth it.

Most content is for 2004, but will work in 2006 once tweaked. Some content requires no tweaking at all. I was assured by Rob, previously of Auran that content repaired for 2006 will transfer easily into TC and not require a great deal of tweaking. When TC reaches the end of it's incarnations I may move the content into whatever the final product is, so I feel I'm positioned well, with all of the content from 2004 in 2006 repaired and ready to move forward.

If you are not confused now, you never will be!

Doubtless someone will be along shortly to correct me, disallow my statements and assert their own, or otherwise contradict everything I have posted. That just seems to be the nature of these forums.:p

Doesn't matter, this thread will soon be filled with advocates of each version trumpeting their choice, as I said each person has had different experiences, so perhaps by reading them all you will be able to make a decision.

Ed

In Britain, both TRS2004 and TRS2006 are available for around five pounds each including delivery. Try amazon.co.uk and play.com. However, with so many versions of Trainz and so many names for them be sure that the product name and pack shot clearly state Trainz Railway Simulator 2004 or Trainz Railway Simulator 2006 as you wish. Avoid anything which just says "Trainz" or includes the word "Ultimate".

TRS2004 is likely but not certain to come ready-patched to SP4; likewise TRS2006 to SP1. Both are very likely to be the versions initially distributed by Just Trains (aka Just Flight) but now also re-distributed by budget software companies, and therefore cannot be copied and must be in the drive when the program starts. If you want to avoid that, order the Australian/US version from Auran but it will be more expensive and take longer to be delivered.

John

Hello 2stepsteve, in a couple of months time a new Trainz Classic (TC3) will be released based on the Settle and Carlisle line, here in the UK. This is a stand alone version, HOWEVER, it would be beneficial to have TRS2006 installed on your machine firstly to aquaint yourself with the CMP and secondly for the extra assets that you can use.
Having read many other threads and posts on this forum, regarding your question, that has been asked by others before you, it appears that for the creators amongst us Trainzers, TRS2004 is a more stable platform to use, but as a non-creator myself, I use TRS2006 as I prefer the better graphics and the extra built-in layouts ( including a monorail route ). At the end of the day you need to ask yourself if you want to just play Trainz, or become a creator. Of course, you could even have both versions installed.....:hehe:

As already pointed out, 3 reasons to purchase Auran's versions. 1) It gives them some money to invest in future technology and running this forum and the DLS. 2) If you obtain the DVD you do not need to have it sitting in your DVD hard-drive all day long whenever you play the game, as after your initial installation, you can then archive it in the box somewhere. 3) The game is delivered to you from somewhere in Kent, so with you living in the UK, it won't take too long for it to be delivered now that the Christmas post has got through, don't be confused that it has to come all the way from Australia.....:hehe:

Happy Trainzing.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

If you're going to get Trainz Classics, I would highly recommend looking for a package that includes TC and TRS2006 together. This will allow you to transfer over the built-in content from TRS2006 that was not included in TC.

If you only get TC, expect a lot of routes on the DLS to not work due to dependency on assets that were built-in to TRS06 that didn't cross over into TC.

Thanks Eupod that has cleared up quite alot! Think info that is being supplied in this post should be pinned up someone so people like me can straight away see what the state of play is with the different versions..

That is good to know ex-railwayman that it comes from kent, I think i'll order from auran then :).

So finally if I want to dip into both TRS2004 and TRS2006, would Trainz Collection DVD be the one to get? Or should I get the seperate titles?

Hi the best value is the TRAINZ Collection it contains the items below and is £ 19.99
If you purchase TRS2006 on its own it is £ 19.99 and TRS2004 on its own is
£ 11.95.
So you can see that you get all these included see list below.

Code: TRAINZ25

This massive collection includes:

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006
Trainz Routes 1, 2, 3 and 4
Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004
Trainz Ultimate Collection
Trainz Paintshed

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006
TRS2006 takes you to the next level with over 25 complete routes and more than 50 immersive Driver activities. Communicate online with other users in game with Trainz iChat*, and expand your collection with over 80,000 additional items available to download free*. TRS2006 raises the bar for realism and immersion in operating a virtual railroad. TRS2006 is the most complete railroad simulation ever made!
*Internet Connection Required
Information:www.railroadsimluator.com

Trainz Routes 1 - 4 for TRS2006
Expand your TRS2006 experience with these expansion packs. 20 new routes will add hours of entertainment and enjoyment, simply add a train and get ready to hi-ball.
Information:Trainz Routes Volume 1
Information:Trainz Routes Volume 2
Information:Trainz Routes Volume 3
Information:Trainz Routes Volume 4

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004
TRS 2004 set a new standard in virtual railroading experience. Covering all aspects of railroad simulation, you can role play from a Builder to the final stages of exploring your creations and that of others. Control industries and multiple trains to lose yourself in the Trainz as you continue to develop your bustling rail network.
Information:www.auran.com/TRS2004

Ultimate Trainz Collection (UTC)
Trainz Railroad Simulator is the most detailed and immersive railroad experience ever, letting you control almost every aspect of a working railroad. Let your imagination run free as you create stunning 3D worlds, take charge of thousands of tons of heavy freight or simply keep your passengers happy as you take on the challenges of a real train engineer. Add to the excitement by controlling multiple locomotives, coordinating activities, switching junctions and ensuring each train arrives safely at its destination.

Ultimate Trainz Collection contains 2 CDs jam packed with content including Trainz Railroad Simulator, Paint Shed (UTC Edition) and tons of special Bonus Content including new locos, new scenery objects and new scenarios.
Information:Ultimate Trainz Collection

Trainz Paintshed (for UTC and TRS2004)
Bring your ideas to life and expand your collection to new limits. Paint Shed allows you the freedom to design and create your very own unique railroad paint schemes or authentically repaint your favorite trains from throughout the world. Included is a whole new set of locomotives and freight cars and an easy 5 step paint program. With Trainz Paint Shed you'll have a yard full of customized locos and rolling stock before you know it.
Information:Trainz Paintshed
http://www.auran.com/auran/shop_f.htm?a=1&CurrentPage=1&OpenProductID=174&#

Thanks. The only difference in the graphics between the two is that 2006 runs choppier on my ancient graphics hardware, but I don't notice any significant improvements in quality.

Would just like to thank everyone that posted in this thread for helping me out.

I have just ordered from Auran and hope to be having fun very soon :D

^ I'm in the same boat as Steve. I've still got my UTC/Paintshed discs (I threw out the old Trainz through SP 1.3).

I still can't get UTC to install custom content correctly, even with the prescribed updates. It also took three evenings of installing and reinstalling to get it to run.

I did install TRS 2004, and enjoyed it. I'm at a loss on which one to get. I've still got two CD's of downloaded content UTC and earlier, will any of it work?

If I were you mcjaco, I would stay with TRS2004 for the time being. A huge majority of the UTC content will work in TRS2006, BUT, only after having gone through the config txt of virtually every one of them to correct it before it can be used, due to errors of spelling, punctuation, mesh tables askew, missing tga files, jpg files, bmp's and a host of other anomalies, that were never picked up by the TRS2004 engine. If you want to update to TRS2006 in the future then I can heartily recommend doing so, but with the plight you seem to be in at present, stay with what you know....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :)

Thanks. I should have mentioned it was the TRS2004 demo.

I think I'll be looking into TRS 2004, or just getting the Trainz Collection at this point.

Back