FEC Key West extension modern day

Pompano to the keys is one major haul. Too bad they didn't have rail passenger service for you!

nikos1, what can I say? You amaze us with the detail of your first screen shots; then you move the camera back and "blow our socks off!"

I know a whole bunch of people that look forward to running this route.

GREAT JOB!

Richard

The Keys are a bit busier and more crowded than I remember! :D (Must be because of the RailRoad!)

This is a route that would be nice to have, and to run! I use to work at the hospitals in Tavernier, Marathon, and Key West. (Lived in Pompano) I had to drive the entire route fairly often! Loved it in the Keys!

Keep up the good work!

Terry

Thanks everyone for your comments, hopefully it will help me actually finish a route for once:p
not really any showable preogress recently, just some work laying roads and track.
BUT
the route now has a model of a very special FEC locomotive :)
2293.jpg

2294.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments, hopefully it will help me actually finish a route for once:p
not really any showable preogress recently, just some work laying roads and track.
BUT
the route now has a model of a very special FEC locomotive :)
2293.jpg

2294.jpg
What so special about it apart from the paint scheme?

(I had to ask didn't I...:hehe:)

Rugrat:udrool:

Hi ya'll:

The special is its in older FEC colors (long since retired) and numbered 2000 for the bi-centennial. I live in Jupiter, FL and there is a passing siding about a mile to the north. This engine would take the local 20 car cut and drop them off at the siding for the long haul train to Jacksonville then return to West Palm Beach. One day it stopped across the street (A1A) from a place called "The Dune Dog Drive-in" (geat grub) and one of the crew got out crossed the street and ordered 4 chili dogs to go. Every kid in the place (including me and I was around 60 at the time) tried to talk his ears off about Trains.

Ben

UPDATE TIME!
a bit of switching at the Navy docks
2413.jpg

2414.jpg

2429.jpg

rare foreign power makes a appearance on a northbound stacker
2416.jpg

over a tidal creek and through a neighborhood
2417.jpg

2418.jpg

2419.jpg

through suburbia
2420.jpg

continued

One of FEC's last GP9's is assigned to the Key West switch job, over time though its jobs have diminished with now only a few customers left. here we see it switching the home depot spur.
2421.jpg

2422.jpg

nice view from the Arbys drive through
2423.jpg

2424.jpg

shoving home
2425.jpg

2426.jpg

2427.jpg

in the yard
2428.jpg

thats all for now, i hope to get started on some of the big bridges soon, and Bendorsey has made some nice models of the Spandrel Arch bridges (thanks Ben!), mabye with only water my FPS will be in the double digits :eek:

Last edited:
Hi Ya'll:

This may be a slight hijacking of this thread but I don't think nikos will mind.

I've got all the parts made and tested for the 7-mile bridge between Little Duck Key and Knights Key except the curved section over Pigeon Key. I know how it was made but I can't seem to find out by how many degrees it curved. If any one has the info please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

Are you going to have the bridge, (as it is today and yesteryear) at BAHIA HONDA KEY? Use to drive by it a lot and thought it was an interesting and unique bridge for the Keys! Always thought it would be "spooky" driving that when they first turned it into a roadway bridge. It stands so high, (comparitively) and was pretty narrow. My eyes would have looked like this! :eek:

Here is a couple of views of it!

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Terry:

Meaning no offense but I think you have your bridges mixed up. The 7-mile bridge is different from the Bahia-Honda Bridge.

There were 4 really long bridges:

1. The Long Key crossing between Lower Matecumbe Key and Long Key. This was made up of 2 spandrel arch viaducts (0.85 and 1.72 miles long) separated by 1.02 miles of fill called Craig Key (it wasn't there originally). There was a bascule bridge roughly in the middle of the 1.72 mile section. I've already made the spandrel arch (50 ft wide openings). Need info on the bascule span tho (hint hint hint).

2. The 7-mile Bridge (I'm making it as it was originally built for RR use). 2 splines and 5 fixed sections to be assembled in Surveyor by the downloader. This includes 2 versions of the Moser Channel draw bridge (animated).

3. The Bahia-Honda Bridge approx 3333 ft long made of different length thru truss spans. I probabaly will make this in 2 versions. As a RR bridge with thru trusses and later as a highway bridge with the roadway on top (yup, its a long way down).

4. The Spanish Harbor Viaduct (approx 5000 ft of spandrel arches with 35 ft openings). I've already made a spline for this.

I've never been over the Bahia-Honda bridge as a road bridge. My wife was born in Key West so I'm sure she has. I do know going over the old 7-mile (auto) bridge was scary. To this day I do not know how 2 Greyhound busses could pass without swapping paint. IT WAS NARROW!!! makes a great fishing pier today.

Hope this answers your question.

Ben

P.S. Thanx for the pics. I didn't have anything on the Bahia-Honda Bridge after it was converted to highway use. They will help a lot.

Last edited:
No, don't have them mixed up. Never implied that it was anything other than the Bahia-Honda bridge in my post. That is why I supplied the images. (With so many, it's easy to get them mixed up at times! ;) )

I'm familiar with all of the bridges from Key Largo to Key West. Although it has been some time since I've been there, I use to love going to Key West because of the picturesque bridges and islands. Worked at the hospitals from Key Largo on down. (only 3 on the whole chain!).

Anyway, you mentioned the Bahia-Honda in item 3 on your reply. That is exactly what I was talking about and it's good to hear you going to keep it as it "is". (the old original bridge of course!)

The original R.R. bridge went into service as a bridge for automobiles in 1938 and a new bridge replaced it in 1972. I'm sure it wasn't as "wide" at the top when all it had was R.R. tracks and probably was a pretty hairy ride!!! Would be interesting to replicate that for Trainz!!!

Not sure how tall it is either. I think I read that it was 65 ft up, not sure if that includes the "hump" or not.

Wish I could help with your original question about the curve on the 7 mile bridge. Again, it's been about 6 years since I've been down there. I frankly don't even remember a curve on that bridge. (Not implying your wrong here, just a memory lapse :D )

Hi Terry:

My bad. I went back and re-read your post. Guess I was so focused on the 7-mile bridge your asking about the Bahia-Honda Bridge didn't register (does this make me a monomaniac, lol)?

I know the bridge curved at Pigeon key as I have a book on the construction of the entire Key West extension. The Pigeon Key section consisted of 19 sixty ft long deck plate girders to make the curve easier (the normal dpgs were 80 ft long). The piers were different too (plain and square). There was even a station there (tho it probably wasn't much more then a platform). After conversion to auto use there was a ramp down to the key and I'm pretty certain the new 4-lane bridge has a ramp as well.

Whats really intersting is how many small passages between the Atlantic and the Gulf were just blocked up with fill. Most were 50 to 100 ft wide. Initially trestles were used then just covered with fill at a later date. Didn't make the locals very happy either as you can guess.

If someone knows how to use google earth (I don't), the old spans are still there (converted to fishing piers). Might show up and you could perhaps measure then angular difference between the sections north and south of pigeon key? Just a thought.

Ben

@ bendorsey, I would first like to thank you for constructing these wonderful assets! To help you with the seven mile bridge section ive gone into goggle earth to get some measurements, the smallest section connected to the pigeon key island is 1.88 miles in length after that it takes a slight turn on the island maybe 60 to 70 degree turn and starts the 4.79 mile bridge to little duck key.
pigeonkeyislandce8.jpg
heres a photo of the bridge support if you need it
sevenmilebridgepksc7.jpg

I hope this was helpful anything else i can help with i would be glad to help:)
@ Nikos I love the urban shopping areas you modeled! were did you find the home depot store i could really use one of those.

Last edited:
You can't trust Google Earth to be directly overhead for their photos. It appears to be a 50 foot deveation over 500 feet across the island.

It is a shift in direction from 72 degrees to 84 degrees across Pigeon Key.

Best guess based on the image.

Richard

FECHQ1.jpg

Hi Ya'll:

This may be a slight hijacking of this thread but I don't think nikos will mind.

I've got all the parts made and tested for the 7-mile bridge between Little Duck Key and Knights Key except the curved section over Pigeon Key. I know how it was made but I can't seem to find out by how many degrees it curved. If any one has the info please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

Back