High Cabs

stouthm

Get over it
I tried placing a interior in a ES44AC loco and it's really high when looking out the window. I tried interiors from Mr. Snow and Mr. Akridge with the same results. This was for a NS loco. Any suggestions or a fix for this problem? Thanks.

I think there was something about this issue in the JR section a couple of years ago, you could try searching there.

The height of the interior of a locomotive is dependent on the height of the attachment point in the mesh of the original model. There is no fix unless you have the mesh to adjust the attachment point. Your best chance is to find another loco that is very similar to the original that you want the new interior for.

Thank you both for replying. Jack, I thought that was going to be my only option. I'll look into it and if I find a solution I'll post it here in case others are having the same problem.

Hi Jack --

"The height of the interior of a locomotive is dependent on the height of the attachment point in the mesh of the original model. There is no fix unless you have the mesh to adjust the attachment point."

True. But it is possible to modify the height of the cab by editing the cab itself. Edit thus:

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "cab.im"
auto-create 1
position 0,0,-0.04
}
}
_____

where x = sideways
y = longitudinal
z =vertical

In your case you will need to modify the z value by trial and error.

The same can be used for bogeys, pantographs, ... .

Phil

Hi Jack --

"The height of the interior of a locomotive is dependent on the height of the attachment point in the mesh of the original model. There is no fix unless you have the mesh to adjust the attachment point."

True. But it is possible to modify the height of the cab by editing the cab itself. Edit thus:

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "cab.im"
auto-create 1
position 0,0,-0.04
}
}
_____

where x = sideways
y = longitudinal
z =vertical

In your case you will need to modify the z value by trial and error.

The same can be used for bogeys, pantographs, ... .

Phil

Not clear to me where do I put the X or Y or the important Z. Had this problem for years and this solution would be nice and easy.

Sorry. It should have read:

position x,y,z

So in this particular case it's the third variable that need to be altered. Whether positive or negative I'm not sure.

Phil

Thanks for chiming in here. Phil, I tried various configurations of your suggestion and nothing works or I get a cannot load "cab-im" mesh message. I did find that Don (don49plm) has made interiors for SD70ACe locos and whereas the other interiors from Dave Snow, David Akridge and btvfd are too high Don's are too low. Pick your poison. Unless you can show me how to fix this I will choose or the other. Thanks.

Well, I was using the above as an example. You might not see "cab.im". It might be something completely different. But the process should be the same - edit the config.txt, find the mesh-table entry, add the position tag and fiddle with the values.

Can you copy and paste here the mesh-table that you have for the cab you want to adjust? Which cab is it?

Hi Phil, the cab I was fiddling with is from don49plm (kuid:387111:100279) or (kuid:578474:100227) which seems to be the standard for most ES44AC and SD70 ACe locos. Thanks for your input.

Hi stouthm --

OK I've tried those two cabs on a locomotive and the method shown above does not work. Those two cabs are cab shells and when I try to alter the height of the cab the displays appear but not the cab shell itself. So it looks as if the displays are suspended in empty space. Maybe someone else can help here?

Now there are two possibilities:

Either:
The attachment point on the locomotive mesh is not at the "standard" height.
If this is so it is possible to make a new a.cabfront attachment point with PEV's Attachment Maker.
Then open the original locomotive mesh in a hex editor and change a.cabfront to say a.cabfronx. Note - this has to be same number of characters.
This will then give you the correct height, assuming a) you have added the correct entries to the locomotive's config.txt file and b) placed the a.cabfront at the correct height on the attachment mesh.
Well, maybe. This is not for the faint hearted and I've had both success and failures using this method. Actually, more failures than success.

Or:
The cabs you are trying to use are not set to the correct height.
Have you tried other default cabs? Are they at the correct height?

If those two cabs you are attempting to use are not at the correct height you could try substituting one of the JointedRail cabs. The one shown in this video for example:

The cab itself is freeware. Go to JointedRail / Dependencies / Cabs TS12/TANE / EMD Widecab Type 1 (TS12)

From memory there may be some additional cab dependencies you might also need to download.

In the locomotive you will need to edit the config.txt file:

interior <kuid2:45324:90200:1>

extensions
{
custom_shell "1"
}

And to the kuid table add:
shell <kuid:175455:100071>

You could also try other JointedRail cabs. Just substitute the appropriate kuids in the above.

Good luck!~!

Phil

Phil, I'm getting the message that there is no such kuid as 175455:100071. So rather than waste your time I'll go with what is available. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Ok, I found it. Will continue fiddling with this.

Last edited:
Having a similar problem myself with older style u boats, found one that I like but sat to high. Did not know that the JR cabs where freeware as use them on other locomotives without asking permission.
Will have to try GE STANDARD CAB 2 or GE STANDARD CAB. Now if I can just find a good cab for SW units.

Last edited:
stouthm --

"Ok, I found it. Will continue fiddling with this."

I do have a copy of kuid:
175455:100071 but I can't remember the original source. For the benefit of others, where did you find it?

Phil

Back