Sliding/Swinging Gate Help

brucem56

Hi - I did do some searches here but was unable to find an answer to my problem. I'm trying to use an operating gate on my layout, but I'm not sure how to set it up. If I'm understanding correctly, I need an ATLS Controller and Slave.

What are these set to - ie - for crossings I set it to level crossing 2 way with channel.

Also, do I need triggers, and what settings for these?

Thanks very much for any/all help.

Cheers
Bruce
(Build 61388)

Hi - I did do some searches here but was unable to find an answer to my problem. I'm trying to use an operating gate on my layout, but I'm not sure how to set it up. If I'm understanding correctly, I need an ATLS Controller and Slave.

What are these set to - ie - for crossings I set it to level crossing 2 way with channel.

Also, do I need triggers, and what settings for these?

Thanks very much for any/all help.

Cheers
Bruce
(Build 61388)

I don't know if this is what you are looking for,... they are 'Siding Gates' which open automatically when a train approaches.

I use <kuid:76656:60024> SEN CITY Siding Gate 2 and you just connect your track to either side of the gate. No triggers required.

Cheers,
Roy

Roy - Thanks very much, found that SEN CITY Gate and it works. I'm wondering now is there a way to change the open timing for when it opens/closes? Right now the Train is over 200m away (quite far) when it operates, was hoping would be possible to have it operate when the train is about 50m away.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

Also:
<kuid2:1942:38106:1> Siding Gate
<kuid2:1942:38107:1> Siding Gate 2
<kuid2:75943:2013:1> AS1725-Cyclone Fence - Railway Siding Gate
<kuid:173173:2092> Gated siding
<kuid2:206307:100042:1> YZ 3c Siding Gate
<kuid:206307:100052> YZ 1 Siding Gate 5m, BW, RW
<kuid2:206307:100291:3> YZ 1 Siding Gate, SS, BW
<kuid:234086:101633> MM Quarry Siding Gate 5m Rusty

They're easy to setup.

1) Connect the track to the gate.

2) Run your train.

When the train is driven on the track leading to the gate, the gate swings open.

They look really cool.

You can set up the gate in the same way as a non ATLS level crossing. Don't connect the track to the gate, just pass track over it. Now connect an ATLS slave to the gate track and set up the controller and triggers for ATLS.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

Thanks stagecoach for explaining the ATLS.

Haven't heard of the TRC 3 trigger, but will investigate. Thanks.

Cheers
Bruce

Thanks very much to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

Thanks stagecoach for explaining the ATLS.

Haven't heard of the TRC 3 trigger, but will investigate. Thanks.

Cheers
Bruce
They are done by vincentrh, he also has a nice set of crossing

:D Thank you for this Thread and the list of Gates,

I had one route I downloaded prior to ATLS, and I didn't know they existed, :confused: or how they really worked. This Thread cleared it up for me.

The idea of using the ATLS system in conjunction with the gates is a good one. In the past I've put in simple track derails to cut off crossings and to keep gates closed while freight cars are parked on a spur track.

You can also use the ATLS driver commands instead of triggers. Train drives to gate TM and waits then sends the ATLS driver command for the gate to open, another command will close the gate. You can use a combination of both.

I've seen some maps of Baltimore where its noted that a train arriving at a industry gate would have to send a crew member to another gate. Security at the industry would then send someone to open the rail gate. Probable a lot of wait.

Something of interest concerning gates.

I co-drove a dinner drain in Connecticut that had to traverse a military base (New London, on the Thames River at Groton, CT). When the train approached, the engineer got on his cell phone and called base security. They would appear (sometimes we had to wait) and unlock the gate so we could go through. The exit gate was the same way, only the guards did the radioing to the exit gate.

Then, on the way back, we did it in reverse. It was complicated, but it did work. Something like that might make an interesting bit to add to a military base.

Bill

Back