Cabless Booster

cressjl

I was surprised to see a SD45-2B in a YouTube video, realizing that cabless boosters are still in use even today (BNSF, for example). All that I have in my inventory are F7B, which are fairly common on DLS.

Apparently, US factory-built boosters are as follows, according to Wikipedia:

That's quite a few! I was wondering if there were any members particularly interested in such locomotives to help the Trainz community know what good models are available through payware, freeware, and DLS.

I'm certainly becoming more interested! Thanks.

p-2565-scr_570ed122daab4.jpg

p-2123-bunitatsf.jpg

They're not very common these days.

They're not very common these days.
Yes, I saw that the BNSF still had a GP60B (#346) in operation as of last year. I suppose I never really thought too much about the world of B-units, slugs, snails, and cow-calf setups. It looks like a whole new learning experience is about to happen here.

Only with the vastness of Trainz assets out there would I even care!

Thanks for the screenshots. I'll take a closer look at the units.

I am actually surprised that cabless boosters would not be becoming more popular rather than less, especially in the US. It seems that companies everywhere are looking for ways to cut workers to save costs.

Perhaps they are finding that it is not worth retrofitting locomotives when they can be connected and used in an unmanned configuration? The thought crossed my mind that trade unions may not be happy with the proliferation of cabless boosters either, but I doubt that matters much in this case.

Thanks for tossing out a few ideas around the campfire here...

BNSF rosters about 24 ex-ATSF GP60B cabless boosters, but I am unsure of how many are still in service. Many of these though, see almost daily operation here in the Pacific Northwest.

All of these were taken within the last year.

Apart from the standard built-in GP60B from TS12, I'm unaware of any other one. There are some B30-7As, SD45-2Bs, and others on JR, so they would definitely be worth a look.

Back