Britain's most interesting Railways

THOMAS2000

Hi guys, thought i would start a thing going and ask, in your opinion-What are Britain's most interesting Railways?
Points can be for Rare rolling stock, unique infastructure, or just personal views and how it could be incorporated into Trainz
(If this already exists then, as usual, my apologies)

I can start. Mine would probably be the Northern City Line, London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_City_Line
It used to be a London Underground Line and originally going to be an extension of the Northern line. Due to WW2 this never happened and so became a very isolated part of the network before it was handed over to NSE in 1976. Because of its unique loading gauge NSE had to introduce a new multiple unit, the 313. (Model produced by zxr4000) Furthermore, this was the last time the line was modernised and so to this day, it is an almost creepy reminder of days gone by. Now, STEAM has this, but i am unaware of this existing in Trainz. i also know glbotu produced the London Network but his version was very basic. Perhaps someone could produce a modernised version of the bottom end of the default ECML route (circa 2008) with extensions to Moorgate and Hertford Norh? :)

What are yours?

To be fair I'm surprised the London Underground, The New York Subway and the German U-Bahn haven't been included into Trainz as official content by N3V, not to mention things like the Shinkansen & Eurostar. Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic representations out there by gifted content creators but nothing official which is a shame considering their popularity? Generally speaking I get fed up with the lack of modern day UK content and modern content in general, but anyway again thanks to gifted content creators there is some pretty good stuff in this game.

As for the Underground, as well as the open parts of the line, the closed stations always fascinated me too although some of them have been bricked up now. There are still a number of 'ghost' tube stations in London some of which I believe you can tour? There are some fantastic assets for The Tube available for Trainz although there is still quite a bit missing too.

For me one of the most interesting lines is part of the WMCL from Watford Junction to London Euston which had an experimental signalling system in place (which is in the process of being changed) and there is a fantastic semi-accurate model of the route on the DLS which is worth the download. My other personal favourites are the HS1 which of course brought TVM 430 Cab Signalling into this country and finally the South Wales Main Line (which is a branch of the Great Western Main Line) connects Swansea, Cardiff & the rest of South Wales with Bristol & all stations to London. I like this one because it's my native route. Again there are some representations in this game, but sadly the best one is in the simulator which must not be named lol!

Glasgow Underground, aka the Clockwork Orange!

The only way this could ever be represented in Trainz is by means of compromise as so much of the network is unique, from the 4ft gauge infrastructure to the very small trains. And, if showing pre-modernisation those very cramped and narrow island platforms. I would have bottled it and waited on the stairs until the train came in!

Still under the ground, the Post Office Railway has always been quite fascinating, then there's the Merseyrail network.

On the subject of the Northern Line, I occasionally thought about doing the planned (but never built) Northern Heights extension out to Bushey Heath.

To be fair I'm surprised the London Underground, The New York Subway and the German U-Bahn haven't been included into Trainz as official content by N3V, not to mention things like the Shinkansen & Eurostar. Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic representations out there by gifted content creators but nothing official which is a shame considering their popularity? Generally speaking I get fed up with the lack of modern day UK content and modern content in general, but anyway again thanks to gifted content creators there is some pretty good stuff in this game.

I have to completely agree with you dude, i suppose it doesnt help that Auran is an australian based game, but even then there isnt a great deal of contentfor that region either. As you say, the uh... other simulator has much more but i have always stuck to Trainz as it has a lot more content, less strick rules and there is no more added prices. In the case of HS1, I have in fact started to create it. Hopefully be able to publish more later:)

Glasgow Underground, aka the Clockwork Orange!

The only way this could ever be represented in Trainz is by means of compromise as so much of the network is unique, from the 4ft gauge infrastructure to the very small trains. And, if showing pre-modernisation those very cramped and narrow island platforms. I would have bottled it and waited on the stairs until the train came in!

Still under the ground, the Post Office Railway has always been quite fascinating, then there's the Merseyrail network.

On the subject of the Northern Line, I occasionally thought about doing the planned (but never built) Northern Heights extension out to Bushey Heath.
Wasnt that a horror movie from the 70's? :hehe:
Yeah, that would need a lot of custom content. Although it is only, in theory, a circle i suppose you could have add ons such as engineer trains.I know a chunk of the Merseyrail network has been produced by gparker but that was in the 1950's. Perhaps an update with extension to Chester and the inclusion of the Wirral loop? It is always interesting to think what mightve been if WW2 hadnt got in the way as who is to say that Verney would have been a limit. For all we know, London could have continued to grwo, swallowing up the likes of Milton Keynes, Hertford, Sevenoaks, Guildford, Reading and others...

I have to completely agree with you dude, i suppose it doesnt help that Auran is an australian based game, but even then there isnt a great deal of contentfor that region either.

Most of the decent Australian stuff I have seen comes from third party websites anyway. I think the main focus of this game has been to reach out to the American market as that's where the majority of the built in stuff seems to come from? Don't hold me to it though as I haven't made a proper comparison.

As you say, the uh... other simulator has much more but i have always stuck to Trainz as it has a lot more content, less strick rules and there is no more added prices.

The thing that bugged me about the "other" simulator is that the DLC is absolutely extortionate and I also find that the route building on that game is a LOT harder and far less diverse. It sucks though because I also find that some of the models are a lot more realistic in that game in places but there's enough in T:ANE to keep me happy.

In the case of HS1, I have in fact started to create it. Hopefully be able to publish more later:)

I look forward to seeing what can be done with the HS1. There's some very good TVM 430 Signals on the DLS and there is an amazing cab of a TGV that has working cab signalling built into it by the same author. If you don't mind playing around with the config files, then it's quite easy to swap the cab over to say one of the Eurostar models and use that. Of course it HAS to be for private use and you wouldn't be able to release that train with your route, but it's something that can definitely be made to work.

Most of the decent Australian stuff I have seen comes from third party websites anyway. I think the main focus of this game has been to reach out to the American market as that's where the majority of the built in stuff seems to come from? Don't hold me to it though as I haven't made a proper comparison.

Indeed, it seems to be the way for the media world. All big films must be set in NYC or that state to become recognised (e.g GhostBusters, Independance Day). Similarly there are multiple USA routes in Trainz, USA City and Country, CSX Saginaw Subdivision, Hallam Metro etc

[/QUOTE]The thing that bugged me about the "other" simulator is that the DLC is absolutely extortionate and I also find that the route building on that game is a LOT harder and far less diverse. It sucks though because I also find that some of the models are a lot more realistic in that game in places but there's enough in T:ANE to keep me happy.[/QUOTE]

I have tried multiple times trying to create a route with STEAM but to no avail. I think that is what lures me back to Trainz without fail, the ability to build routes with moderate ease. Once you know how, you can create mega routes. That being said there are only things now that i have recently discovered Such as the Replace Asset Button and TransDEM (Still trying to get my head round the latter)

[/QUOTE]I look forward to seeing what can be done with the HS1. There's some very good TVM 430 Signals on the DLS and there is an amazing cab of a TGV that has working cab signalling built into it by the same author. If you don't mind playing around with the config files, then it's quite easy to swap the cab over to say one of the Eurostar models and use that. Of course it HAS to be for private use and you wouldn't be able to release that train with your route, but it's something that can definitely be made to work.[/QUOTE]

Woah! Dont go overboard man! :hehe: Sounds really interesting, i guess i could give it a shot. While you still have these views, i must warn you, it wont be a super detailed route or anything, just enough to look right, if you know what i mean.

Yes everyone lives under the pretense that America is the greatest nation to have ever lived, but in their defense most people probably don't really think the UK is anything more than London lol :hehe: Sometimes I imagine their view of Britain is the whole place looks like Coruscant from Star Wars lol!

Yes I found the bulk replace button recently and it's a very useful tool! Saves hours of tinkering around pointlessly. TransDem I keep umming and arring about getting. My understanding is that it's a tool that accurately conveys elevation and land onto a baseboard? But it can be programmed to show roads, rails and waterways etc? From the demo that I've seen of it, it looks REALLY complicated to use which is what puts me off spending money on it. I wish there was a way instead that I could for example type the co-ordinates into the world origin section and then using the scale I have told it to use, automatically generate this information onto my baseboards. But then I suppose that would require tying it in with google earth or something like that?

I know the HS1 will be a very long route to undertake. It's not easy creating real routes sometimes and obviously you're bound by the limitations of the game too. Whatever you manage to accomplish, I'm sure it will still look great.

I know the HS1 will be a very long route to undertake. It's not easy creating real routes sometimes and obviously you're bound by the limitations of the game too. Whatever you manage to accomplish, I'm sure it will still look great.
Detailed routes take years to construct and N3V rely on Content Creators to construct routes for them which are then on-sold as payware or issued as freeware. Underground routes are extremely difficult to create and require particular skills. Aside from that, most drivers would find driving continuously through a tunnel to be a very boring experience. So you would need a content creator that would be interested in constructing an underground route and then, in order for N3V to market that route, N3V would need to understand whether sufficient interest exists to make it a viable and sell-able product.
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes I am well aware that detailed routes can take an incredibly long time. Look at the ECML for example? Yes I can imagine there'd be a very unique set of challenges creating an underground route and as you said making it interesting so it's not all tunnel walls. Fortunately on the London Underground there are a lot of interesting points and features both above and below ground which could make a route interesting but of course it comes down to whether or not a person would be willing or able to model those features. Sadly I am clueless when it comes to modelling or otherwise there's a great deal of asset creating I would like to do but having a look at GMAX and some of the other software, it just looks really complicated.

Thank you for your advice though. It's nice to hear input from various members of the Trainz community.

Ben

Hi guys, thought i would start a thing going and ask, in your opinion-What are Britain's most interesting Railways?
Points can be for Rare rolling stock, unique infastructure, or just personal views and how it could be incorporated into Trainz
(If this already exists then, as usual, my apologies)

I can start. Mine would probably be the Northern City Line, London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_City_Line
It used to be a London Underground Line and originally going to be an extension of the Northern line. Due to WW2 this never happened and so became a very isolated part of the network before it was handed over to NSE in 1976. Because of its unique loading gauge NSE had to introduce a new multiple unit, the 313. (Model produced by zxr4000) Furthermore, this was the last time the line was modernised and so to this day, it is an almost creepy reminder of days gone by. Now, STEAM has this, but i am unaware of this existing in Trainz. i also know glbotu produced the London Network but his version was very basic. Perhaps someone could produce a modernised version of the bottom end of the default ECML route (circa 2008) with extensions to Moorgate and Hertford Norh? :)

What are yours?
Well I added the Widened Lines from Kings Cross to Moorgate to the ECML (TANE version) if that interests you.

Wood Green to Hertford North is in ECML for TANE but only basic tracks, we're waiting for someone to flesh it out.

I agree, Drayton Park on the NCL is one weird station. The trains change from catenary to fourth-rail power, IIRC.

Mick

Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace

Another interesting line, but now disappeared, was the Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace branch of LNER, which I have been modelling for ten years and is still not finished. It was going to be part of the Northern Line of LU, but the work was abandoned during WW2. So there were bits of it with four rail track, LU lineside cabling, lowered platforms (or raised?) and electric signalling, although it was only ever served by push-pull steam trains.
Except for some movement of LU stock by battery locos. All fascinating stuff. I lived right next to it, so I know it in great detail.

Mick

Well I added the Widened Lines from Kings Cross to Moorgate to the ECML (TANE version) if that interests you.

Wood Green to Hertford North is in ECML for TANE but only basic tracks, we're waiting for someone to flesh it out.

To be fair, it's nice to see that so much has been added to the route.

I agree, Drayton Park on the NCL is one weird station. The trains change from catenary to fourth-rail power, IIRC.

Interesting. I guess that's kind of similar to where Southern trains stop just after they pass Willesden Depot on the WMCL to change from OHLE to 3rd Rail on the way to Clapham Junction?

Yes everyone lives under the pretense that America is the greatest nation to have ever lived, but in their defense most people probably don't really think the UK is anything more than London lol :hehe: Sometimes I imagine their view of Britain is the whole place looks like Coruscant from Star Wars lol!

Yes I found the bulk replace button recently and it's a very useful tool! Saves hours of tinkering around pointlessly. TransDem I keep umming and arring about getting. My understanding is that it's a tool that accurately conveys elevation and land onto a baseboard? But it can be programmed to show roads, rails and waterways etc? From the demo that I've seen of it, it looks REALLY complicated to use which is what puts me off spending money on it. I wish there was a way instead that I could for example type the co-ordinates into the world origin section and then using the scale I have told it to use, automatically generate this information onto my baseboards. But then I suppose that would require tying it in with google earth or something like that?

cough Green britain! cough :hehe:

In regards to TransDEM there is a free version available. It is one of the earler versions and so is, understandably, slightly les high tec. Im not even sure if it actually works, cos i cant find it on my desktop. The link is http://transdem-trainz-edition.software.informer.com/2.1/ If this is not allowed, please tell me.

Detailed routes take years to construct and N3V rely on Content Creators to construct routes for them which are then on-sold as payware or issued as freeware. Underground routes are extremely difficult to create and require particular skills. Aside from that, most drivers would find driving continuously through a tunnel to be a very boring experience. So you would need a content creator that would be interested in constructing an underground route and then, in order for N3V to market that route, N3V would need to understand whether sufficient interest exists to make it a viable and sell-able product.
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
I would never try to sell my routes. I have my own website where i upload them, but with no intention on selling them- there is too much copyright involved. As i say, as long as it looks good, im not too fussed :)

Mick
Hi Mick
Damn it.... I appreciate that it is TS2010 that i use but why does all of the good stuff have to be uploaded to TANE standards? From what i've heard TANE is very unreliable with about half as much content as the older simulators. Or has this changed?

If so, then certainly i would be interested. The Ally Pally Branch sounds fascinating by the way :)

Thanks, Simon

I would throw in 3 candidates from further north.
1. The Stainmore Line over the Pennines between Barnard Castle and Tebay - fantastic viaducts and moorland setting with heavy freight, double heading etc.
2. The North British Wansbeck line in Northumberland between Morpeth on the ECML and Bellingham.
3. The North Sunderland Railway between Chathill on the ECML and Seahouses on the coast. A tiny privately run railway.

I am quite well advanced with my TANE adaptation of the latter, but have only got as far as Transdem / Google Earth maps for the first 2.

Ian

Last edited:
Another interesting line, but now disappeared, was the Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace branch of LNER, which I have been modelling for ten years and is still not finished. It was going to be part of the Northern Line of LU, but the work was abandoned during WW2. So there were bits of it with four rail track, LU lineside cabling, lowered platforms (or raised?) and electric signalling, although it was only ever served by push-pull steam trains.
Except for some movement of LU stock by battery locos. All fascinating stuff. I lived right next to it, so I know it in great detail.

Mick

Mick this sounds extraordinary! I can imagine it would be quite interesting to see all those variations on one segment of line. As much as I like newer age stuff, I also find some of the much older stuff fascinating too. I also quite enjoy reading and discovering various abandoned railways and stuff. There's a site online http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php that allows you to see all the abandoned railway and stations and such. If you don't mind having a fiddle with the legend and the settings on the page then it's incredibly easy to use.

cough Green britain! cough :hehe:

In regards to TransDEM there is a free version available. It is one of the earler versions and so is, understandably, slightly les high tec. Im not even sure if it actually works, cos i cant find it on my desktop. The link is http://transdem-trainz-edition.software.informer.com/2.1/ If this is not allowed, please tell me.

Thomas, thanks for this - I will download it and see if I can make heads or tails of it. It would be nice if it does work just so I can see what all the fuss is about. I am kind of surprised that the creator doesn't have a demo version of the product to try out but then I equally understand his reasons for not having one.

Hi Bob
I would never try to sell my routes. I have my own website where i upload them, but with no intention on selling them- there is too much copyright involved. As i say, as long as it looks good, im not too fussed :)

Unless they're for private use, I would be interested in viewing your website and checking out some of your work?

Last edited:
Back