Becoming A pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see any problem in the manner Vern described N3V's protection of their DLC vs content on the DLS. They have gone overboard locking down the former and - as evidenced in this thread and many similar ones - cannot be bothered with the latter until a big fuss is made. So what you mean Peter, is that payware is deserving of protection while freeware doesn't?

Yes I was simply stating that if it's possible to protect DLC, that same or similar option should be available to freeware creators who desire it.

As Cascade suggests some sort of digital watermark or stamp of the original KUID applied to any item uploaded to the DLS, which cannot be removed by someone attempting to clone, copy or otherwise plagiarise the item. The subsequent check could be built into the DLS upload process and entirely automated. Someone attempts to upload an item with an original KUID watermarked, generates an email (or forum PM) to the original author. If they approve, then the item goes forward in the upload queue as normal. If they don't or fail to reply then the item is rejected. Simple, assuming of course there is the programming ability to incorporate something in the current structure. Doesn't matter if it can't be applied retrospectively but at least we would know from now on, anything uploaded has some measure of protection against the anarchists.

Come on N3V, it's time to be proactive not reactive where your hard working, unpaid and largely unthanked creators who contribute 99% of the add-on content for Trainz are concerned.

So what you mean Peter, is that payware is deserving of protection while freeware doesn't?

No, I fully believe that all content (and software), be it freeware, payware or commercial, is deserving of protection. I was merely making the point that if content creators want additional protection by placing their work onto the DLC and therefore blocking downloaders from modifying it for their own purposes, then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Content creators can also place their work onto the DLS and add a note in the content description (or in the licence tag - if anyone ever looks there) to the effect that it must not be altered in any way but I suspect that some downloaders would not take any notice of this.

With my suggestion there would of course be no issue with users modifying the asset or route for their own use. The checks would come into play when they attempt to upload to the DLS and the watermark triggers the permissions request.

Of course it won't stop the content appearing on unscrupulous 3rd party sites, but that's another issue and one that's not easy to stop. Putting a simple protection measure on content for the DLS should be, however. Just needs a bit of coding thought and the willingness to do it.

Anecdotally N3V seem to have been slightly guilty of this themselves, as some of the *default* textures in TANE prefixed FFR appear to be clones of McGuirel Ultra Textures...

Content creators can also place their work onto the DLS and add a note in the content description (or in the licence tag - if anyone ever looks there) to the effect that it must not be altered in any way but I suspect that some downloaders would not take any notice of this.

I don't actually think that private use or modification is illegal under any circumstance?

I don't actually think that private use or modification is illegal under any circumstance?

If you purchased an item outright, such as a car, then you can modify it to your hearts content - as long as you stay within the laws regarding what is "street legal" or, failing that, drive it on your private property only (and bear the cost of any third party injuries, deaths and/or damage yourself). However, when you "purchase" software you are buying a licence to use the software "as is". The EULA will almost certainly prohibit you from altering the software in any way. If you do then you have broken the licence agreement and are therefore at risk of civil, if not criminal (it would depend on the jurisdiction), legal action. If the EULA says "modify this software to your hearts content" then go for it - but I have yet to come across one that does say that.

Set out on the DLC (MyTrainz) portal are the "Terms and Conditions" that everyone who uses the service has agreed to (regardless of whether or not they have read them). In particiular:-

"The Trainz Portal Service, all content and other subject matter included on or within these Services (‘Trainz Portal Content’) is the property of Trainz Portal or its licensors. Trainz Portal reserves all of its rights with respect to the Trainz Portal Content."

There is also a very detailed description of the procedure for dealing with posted content that is suspected of being in violation of copyright.

I was merely making the point that if content creators want additional protection by placing their work onto the DLC and therefore blocking downloaders from modifying it for their own purposes, then they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Actually, N3V's DLC is completely irrelevant here because the point is that content on the DLS is not taken seriously by N3V, not whether or not protection is afforded to DLC. Secondly, it is beyond absurd to suggest using the DLC system as a solution to the DLS' problems. That's like if I have leaks in the roof and instead of fixing it my landlord tells me to move into a fort instead. 1) Not everyone wants their content to be payware - bloody N3V payware at that, 2) not everyone wants to pay for everything like that other sim. Remember bort85? He was reported dozens of times for blatant and moronically apparent piracy. And yet N3V hid behind their bureaucracy for weeks before he was banned and even longer before his content was removed. There are people who accidentally upload wrongful content and there are immediately obvious malicious users who should be on the receiving end of a one-strike zero-tolerance perma-ban policy.

N3V does not have a bureaucracy. It is managed by one person. Direct issues to him and ask for direct answers.

Nicky, where do I start? Clearly you have issues with the current DLS and DLC as well as with N3V. I can understand that. But I fear that you have let your emotions control your keyboard - like leaving "Anger" in charge in "Inside Out" (its Oscar time).

I do not suggest that the DLC is the solution to the problems with the DLS - it provides a service to creators who want to use it. Part of that service is better copy protection (not perfect protection) as well as a revenue stream. It is not going to be a solution for every creator and not every Trainz user will be interested in buying payware.

Some posters here complain about their inability to modify any of the items they have downloaded from the DLC. It may well be that the content creator agrees with that restriction or simply goes along with it as part of the deal to get a small but deserved revenue stream for their efforts. We don't know. Either way, it is a condition of posting content onto the DLC. If they do not agree with the terms and conditions of the DLC then there are alternatives to hosting payware apart from the DLC just as there are alternatives to hosting Trainz freeware apart from the DLS. No-one is being forced to post their content on the DLS/DLC if they do not want to. Just as no-one is being forced to use the DLC or the DLS to download content.

Could you please explain to me why you think N3V do not take the DLS seriously? After all, it costs them to host the free content they provide. It is also costing a great deal of time and effort (probably unpaid but that is the nature of hobbies) for the CRG to "repair and upgrade" existing DLS content to current standards and their only reward often consists of a lot of flak from some users.

Yes I do remember bort85. I also remember that N3V followed their own guidelines in dealing with him/her - i.e. not banning just on reports from 3rd parties about possible copyright violations but insisting on firm evidence such as a complaint from the original creator. How many times have those reports been in error - i.e. permission had been given and even cases of malicious false reporting. N3V make the effort to contact the creator if a violation is reported by a third party - its all in their terms and conditions. This is ground that has been raked over many times in these forums and not everyone will be satisfied with a system of "due process". Some want instant retribution - a "shoot first" policy.

Neither the DLS or the DLC are perfect. Are there ways that they could be improved? Very probably. Will those improvements suit everyone? Probably not.

This thread (and others) has already generated some interesting discussion on how the rights of creators could be better protected on the DLS and how downloaders of payware content could modify the assets without violating the wishes of the creators (assuming they want their work to be modified). Lets keep that discussion going but lets do it with our feet planted on the ground. Lets share the controls between "Anger" and "Joy" (sorry Oscar again)

YouTube has a "take down" policy for video posts that violate copyright. I would presume that, like N3V, they would require some evidence of the violation first.

Please check Trainz Pro Routes as two of the items they posted yesterday are Credited to either you and?or Steve. Also noticed some Downloads available at UKTS site that are his repaints and the user bame of Hans12.

YouTube has a "take down" policy for video posts that violate copyright. I would presume that, like N3V, they would require some evidence of the violation first.
Posting a photo or movie of a reskinned asset is not a breach of copyright and youtube will ignore such a taken down request. It has to be the actual photo or movie that is being used improperly, not the subject.

It comes down to this: Youngsters, and Oldsters, now a days see that something is up on the internet, and assume it as a "Free For All" where you can copy, post, redistribute, trade, and sell, any item that is up on the internet ... people have no respect anymore ... Not One Bit of RESPECT !

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots. Albert Einstein

Last edited:
That's it... I'm done ... i will NEVER release any thing to the DLS, or elsewhere ... all my projects are pulled, and will never be released, because of Billvu (who is impersonating Steve Lerro) ... and other thieves, other copyists, who are plagiarizing Trainz, stealing other peoples assets, and redistributing them without permission

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back