T:ANE or TMR17?

austinonevia

Hello, I have been wanting to buy T:ANE for a while, I noticed that TMR17 got released recently. I am mainly looking at either game for the route creation alone, and I am more interested in model railroads than full size ones. The questions I have are: how much content is in TMR17? like how many locomotives, rolling stock and objects compared to the deluxe edition of T:ANE?, and is the gameplay the same between both games? I have read about both games and I can't find the information I am looking for. TMR17 looks cool to me because of the premade table templates that you can build on, can you do that in T:ANE? And how is the framerate of the games on high-end PCs? I'd really appreciate if anyone can give any info about either game. Thanks!

I purchased TMR17 mainly because I did want something more model railroadish since I already on TS2016/17.....and I love one layout in particular, Brazemore Yard which I have begun to modify greatly as you will see in my Layout bashing thread: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad , plenty of details and I really enjoy the operating possibilities on it from passenger to freight to long unit trains. I also like the Frankllin Avenue Industrial as well but smaller locos and rolling stock benefit mostly on this layout for its compact size.
As far as having a high end pc, you should benefit from it...seems having the trees in summer on max setting will give you the most frame rate drop because of their high detail....but with a higher end pc that shouldn't be such an issue. I have an FX-6300, 16GB ram and a 6gb GTX-1060 and I can average mid 30's without stuttering but that will creep in every now and then but can be corrected by the FOV you choose. Running 1920x1080 res on a 32" monitor and like it.

I purchased TMR17 mainly because I did want something more model railroadish since I already on TS2016/17.....and I love one layout in particular, Brazemore Yard which I have begun to modify greatly as you will see in my Layout bashing thread: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad , plenty of details and I really enjoy the operating possibilities on it from passenger to freight to long unit trains. I also like the Frankllin Avenue Industrial as well but smaller locos and rolling stock benefit mostly on this layout for its compact size.
As far as having a high end pc, you should benefit from it...seems having the trees in summer on max setting will give you the most frame rate drop because of their high detail....but with a higher end pc that shouldn't be such an issue. I have an FX-6300, 16GB ram and a 6gb GTX-1060 and I can average mid 30's without stuttering but that will creep in every now and then but can be corrected by the FOV you choose. Running 1920x1080 res on a 32" monitor and like it.
Thanks for the info, I am leaning more towards TMR17. Do you know if the locomotives and rolling stock from the base T:ANE are included in TMR?

" I am mainly looking at either game for the route creation alone, and I am more interested in model railroads than full size ones."

There is considerably more content in T:ANE than TMR17 and, having worked in both, it's just as easy to construct model railroads in T:ANE.

You will find two of my layouts included in TMR17. And all of my T:ANE layouts are on the Download Station, for example:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?136129-Another-model-railroad-Trinity-Bay-Industrial

and

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?135253-Another-narrow-gauge-model-railroad-quot-The-Yuan-Gulch-RRCo-quot

The choice is yours. Whichever you decide I'm sure you will have fun.

Phil

Unfortunately Tane does not have the Brazemore layout, if it did, I would, but it doesn't so I didn't...........but if you know of any similar design I would be interested........and to be honest the routes included in Tane aren't my particular flavor, I like modern era with unit trains either depicting BNSF or CSX/NS and for fallen flags Conrail...and for fictional shortline not many can beat the routes by Ltbligh for TS2016/17 which brings me back to Brazemore Yard, easily molded into something I wanted rather than starting from scratch, I prefer route detailing to building but that's just my preference. Either product is good just depends on what you want to do with it.

Last edited:
TM2017 is a slightly newer version of T:ANE just above SP1 HF4, but not SP2. When T:ANE is brought up to SP2, N3V will make the TM2017 routes available as DLC (Payware) for T:ANE so there is no reason to think that you won't be able to use the TM2017 content since at that point, the version numbers will be in sync. Right now T:ANE is a bit lower so the TM2017 content can't load into T:ANE.

With that in mind, nearly anything on the DLS can be installed in TM2017 just like any other version of Trainz works. If you create a route in T:ANE, you can also install it in TM2017 with the thought that not all content will be portable since there are built-in assets in T:ANE that are not in TM2017 and can't be transferred over.

The same model railroad building techniques can be used in T:ANE as they are in TM2017. In fact Phil Skene (philskene) did just that before he made two routes that are now included in TM2017.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the old Classics versions of Trainz. T:ANE was created in the same vein as a focused product rather than the bigger fuller package and is aimed at those people who want the smaller amount of built-ins and the product is focused towards model railroads instead of the prototype.

The point is at this time the layout/route that has my interest is only available in TMR17, the future is the future, like I said for other than MRR type routes I love TS2016/17, the game engine offers me a lot more. I like TMR17 for the ease of use in customizing which obviously does not exist in TS2016/17. When CSX Heavy Haul is released I will have that as my "Sim" based railroading. I enjoy what I am doing "now" in TMR17 that can't be done in Tane. I have access to the DLS and third party vendors and am customizing the Brazemore Yard layout to fit my needs.............Tane does not contain any routes of interest for me and that is the bottom line for my personal use....for more realistic routes vs mrr types I like TS2016/17 and Tane does not change my opinion on that. But for running operations with AI and continuously without point to point TMR17 is my go to game. If TMR is for a niche market so be it, it fits what I need. My brother bought Tane and I bought TMR. Ask me which one of us is getting more out of what they own and the answer is me, my thread in the TMR forum speaks for itself....enjoy Tane, buy Brazemore when it comes available but for "now' I am definitely enjoying it in TMR.

You will be able to buy all routes currently available in TMR2017 as a download into TANE when SP2 is released. SP2 is currently in beta test, so should be available "soon".

Those pre-made tables to get you a head start in TMR2017 are 4 very basic demo routes I made for TS12. They have been added to TMR2017 as an easy starter, but you can also freely download them from the DLS into TANE. Or there is a topic on the forum that teaches you how to do the "trick".

I considered the available content in TMR2017 or TANE (or any version of Trainz for that matter) never a point of interest, as you will have access to the DLS which offers you over 350.000 freely downloadable assets and on top of that there are dozens of 3rd party websites that offer (free) content. We are talking both routes as structures as rolling stock.
... and if you are missing something, the forum can either help you with locating it or get you started with another part of this hobby: Content Creation.

At this stage I probably would advise you to go with "whichever has the best deal at this moment", unless you are currently interested in specific routes in one of the products you mentioned.

I think i'll go with the deluxe edition of TANE, since it's cheaper at the moment and I'm mainly interested in building layouts from scratch. As long as I can get the table templates and additional locomotives, I think i'll be happy with TANE for now, and then just buying the TMR layouts when they become available. Thanks for all of the information, all of you have been super helpful.

T:ANE is more realistic and the trains are bigger than people. TMR 17 is small scale trains and people are bigger than them.

I'm going A New Era​ because of the realism.

T:ANE is more realistic and the trains are bigger than people. TMR 17 is small scale trains and people are bigger than them.

I'm going A New Era​ because of the realism.

Realism......really ??? I got stuff on my modded Brazemore Layout that can hold a stick to almost anything in Tane............for the love of murgatroyd.....small scale trains ? wow

Guy #1 "Hey I read on the internet that were suppose to be bigger than this train...funny how I am stuck down here...."

Guy #2 "Well it must be true because it was on the internet, even though I seem to be on a walkway...."

"How in carnations did I get inside this cab...............dang fangled internet........."

Last edited:
Back