Need high quality logos?

A Collector of things
I've got you covered!

Decided I'd plug a new service I'm offering to the Trainz Community.

As a content creator, I often find myself needing a logo for a reskin or something of the nature, so I go to google and find the exact logo I need, but it's something way to small, like, 200px x 100px, and too low quality to be of any significant use to my reskin.

If this sounds like you, then hop on over to my website, http://thelogoshop.weebly.com/ , and I'll have one to you within a day, if not sooner! It's free, and easy. Anything from Airlines to Railroads and everything in between.

Hope you guys enjoy,
Gerald M. (210009222)

Last edited:
Most logos are available in a vector format pretty easily online, if you know what to search for & where to search. If you're only finding tiny logos, something tells me you've got some odd search settings set up. Just searching for "company logo" on Google Image usually returns some basic raster images that are bigger then that & could be use-able.

Do you have any examples of the logos you've done so far? The only one I saw was a very blurry GN BSB logo on the homepage; doesn't fill me with any confidence in your product.

peter

Edit: It would seem you've uploaded some examples, since I wrote this.

-Click for larger photos

Here are two examples of the logos. The actual files are 8000x4500, 186KB svgs, providing the highest quality possible.
All logos have the choice of being white on a colored background, colored on a white background, white with transparency, or colored with transparency, depending on the specific logo.

Each logo shown on my website has been recreated from actual documentation, as shown below, for the highest accuracy.

-Click for larger photos

Thanks a ton Gerald. This will be a huge help for reskinning when I get my PC working as usual again.

Matt

Hope you get your computer working Matt

Well it works, but its motherboard may be on the way out, causing crashes and across-the-board performance issues. I'd rather stick to my old Macbook and not use Trainz for a while than risk doing anymore damage. Hopefully my tax refund will cover the replacement.

Matt

I think you should explore the legality of doing this. Company logos are normally copyright and as you are reproducing and distributing exact copies, you could be infringing upon the rights of the originating company.

Think about it. Search the forum for discussions on this. This subject came up in relation to content made with well known logos. Probably, most companies wouldn't care but even action by just one could be expensive.

Peter

I think you should explore the legality of doing this. Company logos are normally copyright and as you are reproducing and distributing exact copies, you could be infringing upon the rights of the originating company.

Think about it. Search the forum for discussions on this. This subject came up in relation to content made with well known logos. Probably, most companies wouldn't care but even action by just one could be expensive.

Peter

There's a Disclaimer on the website. Read through it and it explains everything..

"All items on this website are protected under US Federal Law for Historical and Educational Purposes, as per the Fair Use Act of 1976"

Last edited:
There's a Disclaimer on the website. Read through it and it explains everything..

I'm not making any money from doing this, so it isn't infringing on any copyrights.

The only difference that makes is that it is a civil offence instead of a criminal offence, so you won't go to jail for it. But that difference is pretty much irrelevant because the companies concerned will be much more interested in pursuing you than the law authorities are. It's probably not copyright you need to be worried about, it's trademarks. And the disclaimer is worthless. Why anyone would take that risk is a mystery.

The only difference that makes is that it is a civil offence instead of a criminal offence, so you won't go to jail for it. But that difference is pretty much irrelevant because the companies concerned will be much more interested in pursuing you than the law authorities are. It's probably not copyright you need to be worried about, it's trademarks. And the disclaimer is worthless. Why anyone would take that risk is a mystery.

Everything on the website is protected under the Fair use act of 1976, for Historical and Educational purposes only.

Everything on the website is protected under the Fair use act of 1976, for Historical and Educational purposes only.

Claiming what you are doing with a statement that it is "Fair Use" doesn't actually make it fair use, that's something for the courts to decide.

Fair use only explicitly covers use for the following purposes: criticism, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research purposes; "Historical" isn't one of them, and so would have to be decided in the courts.

In a court of law, they will consider the following things:
  1. the purpose and character of the use (commercial or educational, transformative or reproductive);
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work (fictional or factual, the degree of creativity);
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion of the original work used; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the market (or potential market) for the original work.

In my opinion, your logo redistribution would fail to exceed the criteria for almost all of those points.
  1. You're remaking logos for people to use on their products, it's not a critique, news, and your not educating anyone about them. You are reproducing them, and their use could be pretty easily seen as a very short step away from commercial use.
  2. It's a straight reproduction, so zero degrees of creativity.
  3. Pretty much the same as the 2nd point, it's close to 100% someone else's creative work.
  4. The only leg I see you having is here, the market for your logos is pretty small.

But I'm not a lawyer or judge, so it's not my say.

peter

These are great. I urge you to continue to make more. Large, high quality railroad logos, heralds, text, etc are not only useful to us, but also for people modeling, making signs, historical reference etc.

The Southern Pacific logo however will not show up for me, I don't know if its a problem on my end or yours but just a heads up.

The Southern Pacific logo however will not show up for me, I don't know if its a problem on my end or yours but just a heads up.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with how the SP War-Time logo turned out, so I am re-doing it. Not sure why Weebly decided to keep the text up though, as I deleted it in the editor.

Strange...

I'll keep doing this until I meet opposition, which is highly unlikely, as the majority of the railroads I will be making logos for have been gone for several decades.

New Addition today:

Later Northern Pacific Logo with "The Main Street of the Northwest" wordmark

Find it now on The Logo Shop.

Last edited:
To be safe, your best bet is to contact the holding companies such as the Union Pacific, BNSF, Norfolk Southern, CSX, etc., and ask permission to use these logos for the purpose that you are using them for. Companies have a book, usually a really, really thick one too, which spells out how and where the logo is to be used, what the specific colors are and usually the size and proportions. I used to joke about this as the book that says how not to use their logos. :)

I say this as a someone who worked in the graphics and printing industry and have dealt with copyrights before. As with anything that has something to do with copyrights, your best bet is to err on the safe side so asking permission is the way to go. The worst thing you need is for a big company with its bevy of lawyers chasing you down because you have not only not asked permission to use the logo, but also used the logo improperly.

In the end they will most likely give you permission to use them and source files for you to produce them at their proper sizes and quality.

Back