SSD Questions for the masses....

Railhead000

Right now I have an FX-6300@3.5 ghz, 16GB ram, GTX-1060 (6GB flavor) and run TMR17 at 1920x1080 resolution (32" monitor) and would like to know if I installed an internal SSD (500GB) and moved TMR17 to it, would there be a decent improvement vs my standard hard drive (1tb).....looking to get rid of some jerkiness issues...................any thoughts appreciated. Also maybe some recommended settings such as draw distance and detail levels for my current set up would also be welcomed. Really enjoying Trainz this go around.

Right now I have an FX-6300@3.5 ghz, 16GB ram, GTX-1060 (6GB flavor) and run TMR17 at 1920x1080 resolution (32" monitor) and would like to know if I installed an internal SSD (500GB) and moved TMR17 to it, would there be a decent improvement vs my standard hard drive (1tb).....looking to get rid of some jerkiness issues...................any thoughts appreciated. Also maybe some recommended settings such as draw distance and detail levels for my current set up would also be welcomed. Really enjoying Trainz this go around.

It might help if you brought the software.

Cheerio Joohn

I can't help you with the Video, because I'm on HP Laptop with built in GPU, but I can tell you what a difference when I maxed to 16GIG RAM and new Samsung 1-Terabyte SSD, that made a huge difference, wasn't cheap but definitely worth the cost!

I don't get as much Stutter, as the Disk and Ram can keep up with Read Rights etc, as the mechanical one working 4200RPM was a a Dog, and my laptop would crash on me, depending on how much editing in Surveyor mode, or how many trains I was running in Driver.........Hope that helps.......

and to counter that on my machine the difference was less than one frame per second going from a conventional hard drive to an SSD.

Cheerio John

I can't help you with the Video, because I'm on HP Laptop with built in GPU, but I can tell you what a difference when I maxed to 16GIG RAM and new Samsung 1-Terabyte SSD, that made a huge difference, wasn't cheap but definitely worth the cost!

I don't get as much Stutter, as the Disk and Ram can keep up with Read Rights etc, as the mechanical one working 4200RPM was a a Dog, and my laptop would crash on me, depending on how much editing in Surveyor mode, or how many trains I was running in Driver.........Hope that helps.......

My ram is at 16GB but it was the SSD I was curious about...........a 500gb ssd is about 140.00 US dollars, not to bad a price.

You'll see significantly improved load times and marginally less pop-ins on long draw distances and heavy routes if not bottlenecked by the GPU.

You'll see significantly improved load times and marginally less pop-ins on long draw distances and heavy routes if not bottlenecked by the GPU.

Right now my draw distance is 4000m on the Brazemore Yard layout, scenery and tree details is set to ultra, post processing is low, shadows at 2048, quality shadows low , water texture level low (no water on this layout), texture detail high, post process high and aliasing is set to 8x...............now for the strange stuff, my fps is anywhere from 25-62fps and the less dense the area is will drop my fps vs increase, I never saw this before in any sim/game I own, but I have no pop in issues only sometimes when my fps is in the 20's will I get the stutter/jerkiness between cars in the consist, I also have v-sync off.
For the most part TMR17 runs smooth and looks great. Its the unnatural movement that spoils it for me but like I said not to often and this is with a 35 unit mixed covered hopper train with 2 SD60ms, 1 SD60 and 1 SD70 locos in the lead....so if a SSD could rid the stutters I would be very happy.

SSD should come down in price as time goes on with more Folks upgrading to them........I couldn't believe the startup and write times with Win10, very pleased with mine!

SSD should come down in price as time goes on with more Folks upgrading to them........I couldn't believe the startup and write times with Win10, very pleased with mine!

I'm not concerned about the price so much, I think 500gb for $140.00 is reasonable, I just want to make sure I can get some improvement with it vs. not.....

I own TMR under Railhead001 but for some reason could not post under that so hence Railhead000, ah technology..............
Contact the Helpdesk and let them merge or fix your account(s ).
Until you have a legal version showing next to your account, you are going to keep getting comments like that and a lot of us will ignore your questions as they assume that you have a pirated version.

Until you have a legal version showing next to your account, you are going to keep getting comments like that and a lot of us will ignore your questions as they assume that you have a pirated version.

I submitted a ticket as suggested and the irony in this is I've been selected as a beta tester for SP2.
Hopefully this can be resolved, I paid $49.99 for TMR17 and do not support pirated software.

Last edited:

And this was the response I got
:

N3V Games (Zec)
7:08 PM

[#VOG-880-xxxxx]: Need to merge accounts

Good Afternoon Railhead001
As Trainz, and your First Class Ticket are registered to the username "Railhead001", you will need to use this account to run Trainz and to access our forums. This account ( Railhead001 ) will have full access to our forums, and show the version registered to it.

Original email sent to N3V

Railhead001:

I have bought TMR17 I believe under username Railhead001 and need to merge itwith Railhead000 in which I post to the forums with.
The purchase was made under my name on the credit cardused for TMR17, I have the following email addresses: xxxx and xxx.
My physical address is xxxxxxxxxwhich is assigned to the credit card used for the purchase.
I also have a first class ticket purchased under Railhead001.
I need to have TMR17 associated with Railhead000 to show I have a legitimatecopy of your product on the forums.
Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, any help would be appreciated.

So looks like it is not going to happen...whether people believe I have a legitimate copy or not is on them at this point.......so for the people who have responded I thank you for your help.

So start using the other account to post.

Maybe you didn't understand the first time, there was/is an issue with me be able to post from it but here for your viewing pleasure from my account:

Full Product Purchases

Trainz Model Railroad 2017

Trainz V1 (2001)

Serial Number: [removed to avoid people abusing it]

Hope that satisfies anyone with doubts.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with having them switch your account, maybe a moderator could be someone to give feedback to helpdesk... instead of giving you grief.

I was able to move all my things to this account. I originally had pkoester.

Finally the issue with me being able to post under my registered version is resolved, happy happy joy joy ! Say good bye to Railhead000 and hello to Railhead001:)

Last edited:
Back