T:ANE Keeps Crashing

So I keep attempting to import the entire library from TS12 into TANE but the local files keeping making the game crash but I did the originals all at once with no issues. What could be the cause? Should I restart my rig? I did install certain folders individually as I was unaware you can do it all at one time. Could that be a huge factor into the problem? I need some help desperately.

ArmoredMonster - What you are attempting to do is definitely NOT recommended due to major incompatibilities between T:ANE and TS12 program file and database structures.
You CAN bring much of your TS12 content over to T:ANE of course, but it is not possible to successfully drag and drop your Local and Original folders in the manner you're attempting above.

Unfortunately it looks like you might need to restore your T:ANE Userdata folders to the state they were in before you imported the TS12 ones. (Hope you had a backup, otherwise you might need to do a fresh install of T:ANE).

You'll also need to remove all of the files that you brought over from TS12 to your T:ANE Userdata folders (in your T:ANE program directory, or Users/Appdata/Local/N3V Games/TANE/... directory) in the meantime.

The officially sanctioned method for bringing TS12 routes and sessions over to T:ANE is outlined on the Support Knowledgebase Q&A here:

https://support.trainzportal.com/in...m-older-trainz-versions--the-official-process

Last edited:
Okay I was able to get the information needed now the only question that I could NOT get answered was what about in the event I were to get a new computer and how could I SAFELY transfer those files from the old computer to the new one.

what about in the event I were to get a new computer and how could I SAFELY transfer those files from the old computer to the new one.
Assuming this is TANE to TANE (not TS12 to TANE):
Install TANE on new computer
Copy data from one PC to new PC to the same directory as it was on the old PC
Run a database repair

Not sure if this is the official way, but it is the way I would try it.

If you want to transfer your Trainz content - and programs - to a new computer, then the process is fairly simple, especially if you have copied all of your TS12, TS2010 and T:ANE folders over to an external disk drive.
(Or keep them on your old computer and use your home Ethernet or Wifi network to transfer them to the new computer.)
Set up the new computer (needs to be 64bit to run T:ANE) and when you're ready to transfer the programs over, create separate folders for each Trainz version on one or more of your target hard disk drives.
Retain the same folder structures, path names and file contents as you had on the old (though they can be transferred to different logical drives, of course.)
TS12 and T:ANE do not really use the Windows registry, so simple copying of the entire file structures over is all you need to do. (Not 100% sure that this is the case with TS2010 though. Someone else here will be able to advise about that).
Then you'll need to set up new desktop or taskbar shortcuts to the executable for each program.
When you start up TS12 and T:ANE again for the first time, you'll need to enter your Trainz user ID and password and perhaps also the Serial Number for the product in the settings dialog boxes if you have the non-DRM version of T:ANE Deluxe.
You'll also need to adjust the performance and display settings in the settings dialogs to suit the new computer's capabilities/ monitor/ and Userdata paths, etc.

Alternatively, you can install each of the Trainz programs you have as fresh installs (by downloading them from your MyTrainz profile online) or from your original installation media.
You'll then need to patch each version up to the latest standards/ Service Packs and HotFixes.
Once done, you can then safely copy over all of your UserData folders from the old machine from each version to their respective installations.
Perform one or more database repairs afterwards and hopefully all will work out well.

If each of your current versions of Trainz is running well and is up to date, then I'd recommend the simple copy-over method I described above, rather than fresh installs, though the latter method might be preferable if your current installations have existing problems.

Okay so I was able to successfully use the Trainz's website advice but was unable to transfer everything over and much of what I did has missing dependencies or faulty. Though the missing assets can be blamed for not being able to bring everything over unfortunately so I'll have to the brunt of the work on my own which is much harder and time consuming but oh well. I got it up to the latest patch being hotfix 4 so I'll see how it works.

Heh! Welcome to the realities of the term "backwardly compatible"! We know what you've recently experienced through trials of our own.
There was much debate, back in the early Kickstarter period, about whether or not T:ANE should plow ahead without the capacity to import legacy assets from previous versions.
Despite the hassles involved in the process - and the repairs needed for many assets imported from lower builds - I am pleased that in the end, the N3V team went out of their way to allow us to bring our old, hard-won routes and sessions over into the new 64-bit program.
The Trainz franchise and users are richer for it.

You cannot import the local files directly due to a file format change in T:ANE.

To import content from TS12:

1) Start up both T:ANE Content Manager and TS12 Content Manager.

2) Exclude Built-in and any DLC content.

3) Open up assets for edit in TS12 CM.

It's highly recommended you do this in small batches of 100 or 200 or so assets.

4) Open up Windows File Explorer.

5) Navigate to where your TS12 is located and go to the User Data/Editing folder.

6) Select all the open folders by pressing CTRL+A

7) Drag the folders into your T:ANE Content Manager.

The process can take some time depending upon how much memory you have and how fast your CPU is as this data needs to be converted.

Once this process is done, repeat as above with another batch of data - commit what was done previously and open up more.

The alternative is to open the content for editing in TS12 then use File-Import content from T:ANE's Content Manager File menu. Personally I find dragging content folders easier.

When all the importing is complete and in T:ANE Content Manager:

1) Revert to original any assets that are open for edit as these are built-ins now in T:ANE.

2) Keep in mind you will have errors so don't panic.

3) Download any missing dependencies.

4) Repeat the part I again and import more if necessary.

Using the process I outlined above, I imported close to 200,000 assets. In the end I reverted a bunch to original, and repaired about 7,500 assets. Today I show no errors in my content other than a few routes I've imported and are missing dependencies.

Speaking of error reporting in T:ANE, the faulty assets in T:ANE are listed in various ways which is confusing. I created a custom Faulty filter to display only Faulty assets and not missing dependencies and not faulty dependencies. This pared down my faulty list to far less than was initially displayed.

And yes, this process takes time. For nearly 200,000 assets not counting the repair stage, the importing took about 3 weeks. The repairing afterwards took around 6 weeks. You are lucky with the CRG and other content creators updating and repairing content, many of the assets that I repaired manually are now available as updates from the DLS. When repairing the assets, check that there isn't a new version available for download (right-click on the list and choose Asset Versions). If there is a new version, by all means download that to save the repairing process.

In the end when repairing the usual tools work fine. I highly recommend you download the following tools:

1) PEV's Tools - Images2TGA (latest version), PM2IM, and AssetX
2) Paint.net or some other graphics editor.
3) A text editor unless you prefer to use Notepad.
4) A Search and Replace utility for bulk text repairs. Search and Replace Master used to be available online, but that might no longer be around. There are others.

The purpose of a text replace utility is to allow multiple assets to be repaired that have the same config.txt error. This proves it's worth when you have 20 assets that have references to a_texture.tga when it should be a_texture.texture.

By far the most errors you will have will be related to typos in the config.txt files, incorrect image references, and missing thumbnails. What you will not be able to repair are LOD errors, or script errors. For these your only solution is to find the updated assets.

For splines, you'll find that there will be a lot of errors initially. These are related to the "default" mesh missing. The default mesh is actually the mesh file in the asset its self. By opening the asset for editing and renaming the mesh.im to default.im, this will repair that problem.

In the end once your repairs and imports are complete, I recommend clearing out the Obsolete content as that will only clutter up things.

And finally, start a new thread in the T:ANE support forum with any errors you do not know how to repair and one of us will assist, though I'm out of commission for a good while with eye issues which have kept me away from the forums most of the day.

You cannot import the local files directly due to a file format change in T:ANE.

To import content from TS12:

1) Start up both T:ANE Content Manager and TS12 Content Manager.

2) Exclude Built-in and any DLC content.

3) Open up assets for edit in TS12 CM.

It's highly recommended you do this in small batches of 100 or 200 or so assets.

4) Open up Windows File Explorer.

5) Navigate to where your TS12 is located and go to the User Data/Editing folder.

6) Select all the open folders by pressing CTRL+A

7) Drag the folders into your T:ANE Content Manager.

The process can take some time depending upon how much memory you have and how fast your CPU is as this data needs to be converted.

Once this process is done, repeat as above with another batch of data - commit what was done previously and open up more.

The alternative is to open the content for editing in TS12 then use File-Import content from T:ANE's Content Manager File menu. Personally I find dragging content folders easier.

When all the importing is complete and in T:ANE Content Manager:

1) Revert to original any assets that are open for edit as these are built-ins now in T:ANE.

2) Keep in mind you will have errors so don't panic.

3) Download any missing dependencies.

4) Repeat the part I again and import more if necessary.

Using the process I outlined above, I imported close to 200,000 assets. In the end I reverted a bunch to original, and repaired about 7,500 assets. Today I show no errors in my content other than a few routes I've imported and are missing dependencies.

Speaking of error reporting in T:ANE, the faulty assets in T:ANE are listed in various ways which is confusing. I created a custom Faulty filter to display only Faulty assets and not missing dependencies and not faulty dependencies. This pared down my faulty list to far less than was initially displayed.

And yes, this process takes time. For nearly 200,000 assets not counting the repair stage, the importing took about 3 weeks. The repairing afterwards took around 6 weeks. You are lucky with the CRG and other content creators updating and repairing content, many of the assets that I repaired manually are now available as updates from the DLS. When repairing the assets, check that there isn't a new version available for download (right-click on the list and choose Asset Versions). If there is a new version, by all means download that to save the repairing process.

In the end when repairing the usual tools work fine. I highly recommend you download the following tools:

1) PEV's Tools - Images2TGA (latest version), PM2IM, and AssetX
2) Paint.net or some other graphics editor.
3) A text editor unless you prefer to use Notepad.
4) A Search and Replace utility for bulk text repairs. Search and Replace Master used to be available online, but that might no longer be around. There are others.

The purpose of a text replace utility is to allow multiple assets to be repaired that have the same config.txt error. This proves it's worth when you have 20 assets that have references to a_texture.tga when it should be a_texture.texture.

By far the most errors you will have will be related to typos in the config.txt files, incorrect image references, and missing thumbnails. What you will not be able to repair are LOD errors, or script errors. For these your only solution is to find the updated assets.

For splines, you'll find that there will be a lot of errors initially. These are related to the "default" mesh missing. The default mesh is actually the mesh file in the asset its self. By opening the asset for editing and renaming the mesh.im to default.im, this will repair that problem.

In the end once your repairs and imports are complete, I recommend clearing out the Obsolete content as that will only clutter up things.

And finally, start a new thread in the T:ANE support forum with any errors you do not know how to repair and one of us will assist, though I'm out of commission for a good while with eye issues which have kept me away from the forums most of the day.

The amount of work and hassle is so daunting though. Even the open the content for editing and dragging them into the content manager is a work of art but I have to fight through it one way or another I guess.

Don't drag use the Import Content Folders function and import the TS12 editing folder, no need to mess around dragging stuff when you can do it in a couple of clicks.

Don't drag use the Import Content Folders function and import the TS12 editing folder, no need to mess around dragging stuff when you can do it in a couple of clicks.

That's not the method I used. I opened all of the non-built-in assets for editing and then went to the editing file and dragged them into the content manager. Obviously not all of them opened for edit unfortunately.

That's not the method I used. I opened all of the non-built-in assets for editing and then went to the editing file and dragged them into the content manager. Obviously not all of them opened for edit unfortunately.

Either method will get your content into T:ANE.

My preference was to drag the content in a small amount at a time. I was also working with early version 1.0, post Alpha early Community Edition (CE) release and pre SP1 versions while doing this. Those versions were very unstable and could crash if you thought about it too hard! I was also importing close to 200,000 assets. Yes, these are non-built-in or DRM assets and represent 13 years of Trainzing since December 2003.

Using the file import method as I mentioned works as well. Do whatever is easiest for you.

The content does need to be opened for edit. I also had assets that for some reason did not open for edit and had to go back and get them afterwards. There are a number of reasons including TS12 CM being glitchy.

Eventually the TS12 built-ins, not routes of course, will be available for download from the DLS. That will definitely be a big help, but we have no ETA on when that will be done.

The other stuff I mentioned in the post above are tips and hints of things I learned along the way and I hope are helpful for you. You'll find that once you get the content in any repairs will be pretty easy.

Back