Thread: Some things to add to CM

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Default Some things to add to CM

The following should be added to CM's Preview Asset.

1. Show content with "auto-cerate 0".

2. Horn.

3. Lights.

4. Panto.

5. Night mode.

6. Run at slow speed.

All con be just off/on.
    Last edited by whitepass; January 7th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.

Agree with some points, disagree with others. It probably helps if I explain how what I see the "preview asset" functionality to be. Specifically, it's a "quick look" mechanism to see how an asset will look in-game and provide a level of diagnostic feedback. It will never replace using the actual asset in game, and so we have to accept that there will be certain things that can be done and certain things not.

For example, contrast "Preview Asset" and "Test Track". One offers a general view of the model, with the ability to see statistics about the rendering costs, but tells you nothing about physical performance. The other focuses on train physics and allows you to run your asset(s) in a repeatable test environment while tweaking physics parameters.

For any given task, we could take a look at "Preview Asset" and say to ourselves: "I could add just one or two functions to this UI and it would make my life easier." And we'd be right. But it's important to remember that there are many different such tasks, each with their own UI requirements, so it's not really feasible to make a clean UI that encompasses everything.

So with that in mind, I'll break the UI down into broad functional areas:

* Driver - for driving trains in a free-form environment.
    * Test Track - for driving trains in a repeatable test environment and profiling physics.
    * Driver - for playing sessions.
    * Surveyor - for editing routes.
    * Surveyor - for testing individual models in a variety of in-game conditions.
    * Content Manager - for manipulating lists of assets.
    * Content Manager - for viewing or editing assets (at the config file level).
    * Content Manager - for viewing or editing other individual resources (textures, meshes, sounds, etc.)

An then to address your points by number:

1. CM (mesh preview).
    2. CM (sound preview) or Driver (in-game use of Horn).
    3. Driver (in-game use of Lights).
    4. CM (mesh preview) or Driver (in-game use of pantograph).
    5. Asset Preview (additional mode selection like the LOD settings we have currently) or Surveyor (Environment settings).
    6. Not entirely sure what you're looking for here; obviously some form of slow time but I'm not sure to what purpose.

Specifically, "Asset Preview" is not train vehicle specific and never will be. We could potentially re-introduce railyard at some point, that's always on the cards, which might also take care of your #2, #3, #4. Driver itself can of course do the same thing with a few extra clicks.

"mesh preview" above already exists as part of the asset config editor. We may also split this off into its own window as development continues.

"sound preview" doesn't exist in the config editor but certainly will at some point.

It's not really clear what you have in mind with #1 either; beyond previewing the individual meshes separately, you may want some kind of "in situ" preview perhaps. Such a thing is probably possible but potentially very unclear since once you start deviating from the default state of the asset, there are a million ways in which you might want to tweak the asset. The simplest approach here would probably be to combine the "asset preview" and "config editor" windows together, so you get a real-time preview of how any changes that you make affect the object as a whole. This is something we'll almost certainly include as part of the config editor.

chris

Blog Entries

Possibly a dumb question but where is the mesh preview and asset config editor?

Paul

Right Click > Open > Show in Asset Editor

chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    Right Click > Open > Show in Asset Editor

chris
    I found the config editor but not the mesh preview. Actually, I think I may have noticed the config editor in an earlier version of TrainzDev.

How will the graph editor help us? I tried connecting some boxes such as two inputs to a math box but didn't get any results. It reminds me of the Blender Cycles rendering tool.

What would be nice is a tool that took various textures/materials and rendered a simple model (box, sphere, etc) so we would get some idea of how our model might look in TANE. A "connect the boxes" tool such as the graph editor is what I have in mind.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    I found the config editor but not the mesh preview.
    Expand out the mesh table entries in that window.

Actually, I think I may have noticed the config editor in an earlier version of TrainzDev.
    Hope so, otherwise there wasn't much point in me posting about it at the time ;-)

How will the graph editor help us?
    TBD. This one is a very early work-in-progress that I need to write up some docs on. I've been tied up with other things but I'll post back on this forum once I've had time to document it. It's complex and unpolished enough that it's useless without docs.

chris

Blog Entries

Hope so, otherwise there wasn't much point in me posting about it at the time ;-)
    chris
    Sorry. You did write about it back in October for 84376 but my interest at the time was FBX and other activities. Do you still want some feedback?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    Do you still want some feedback?
    Always welcome.

chris

Blog Entries

I'll do that.

What did you think of my idea?

Paul

Regarding the graph editor? Probably best to wait on the documentation before talking further about that one.

chris

Blog Entries

No, the "Tane render view":

This would be different from the Graph Editor but inspired by the "connect the boxes" layout. Conceptually, this is how it would work:

1. You pick a simple target mesh such as a cube, sphere or pipe/tube like object.
    2. You add one or more material "boxes" where you:
    a. Define the material type (onetex, tbumpenv,...)
    b. Add links to a texture (image file).
    3. The tool provides a simple UV wrap to the target mesh and renders it to show what it will look like in game.

I'm not an artist and have lots of problems getting the right "look" for my models in game. I often make test models with different colours and materials just so I can see how it would look.

The Graph Editor, and the Cycles Render tools in Blender, gave me the idea of creating different "material boxes" that could be connected to a test object to show how the model would look.

If there is some interest, I could fabricate a mockup of the layout based on the Graph Editor.

Paul

As above, we're not ready to discuss the graph editor or any technologies derived from that at the current time.

chris

Paul,

Early draft Graph Editor documentation is now available. There are a few use cases mentioned, but only one fleshed out in any detail as yet. That is the only one that we'll be focusing on in the immediate future, although we have plans for the others and probably a few other things besides.

chris

Blog Entries

Paul,

Early draft Graph Editor documentation is now available. There are a few use cases mentioned, but only one fleshed out in any detail as yet. That is the only one that we'll be focusing on in the immediate future, although we have plans for the others and probably a few other things besides.

chris
    Thank you. I appreciate your attention and response. On a first, and very quick read, I think I had already worked out the concept but, like most of these things, an example helps. I'll kick off another thread on the issue when I have something meaningful to discuss.

Cheers

Paul