Multiplayer Woes: How to make a working route?

Roadwolf

Route Engineer
I know multiplayer has been a sore spot as of late... And I don't intend to be harping on that. I also didn't want to be replying to older posts as I know on some forums that is frowned upon.

My friend and I have been gaming together for many years, and between space RPG's and Minecraft, we have found that we really enjoy playing simple transporting and resource gathering games together. We also both really like trains. Being that Trainz is about the only multiplayer train based game out there, I have been really trying to build a route that works in either Trainz 12 or T:ANE. So far, even using basic built in track, rolling stock, locos and a flat map with stock track on it, I have yet to be able to actually bring anything I made into multiplayer. I uploaded the routes and sessions, but was told that the route or assets aren't in the download station. And yes, I did add the multiplayer rule into the session.

So I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I am just looking for something to work, it doesn't need to be pretty. Is it possible to do this? Or... is it a lost cause at this point?

I should also mention that my friend doesn't have a first class ticket, and likely wouldn't pay for one. I do, but I would likely just give him the exported route and session file through a thumbdrive.

Thanks

Hmmm, I may have figured out why the routes I uploaded were not showing up in the download station... It has been a while, and I don't remember having to approve uploads before. That is kinda interesting. I suppose that is an egg on my face for not being aware of that.

This topic is a great resource:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?89767-Multiplayer-Tips-Tricks-Fixes-and-Other-Things

A few short pointers in reply to your post:
- All assets used in a route and session you want to use for MP must be built in or downloaded from the DLS
- No assets used by the above can have the "locally modified" flag
As a result of these two points you
- Have to re-download your own route (and session) after upload or use an already available set
- Can not transfer the assets on a thumb drive to your friend as they will have the "locally modified" flag after install
So if your friend can't afford a FCT you either need to select a build in or small route and session or have a lot of patience.

This topic is a great resource:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?89767-Multiplayer-Tips-Tricks-Fixes-and-Other-Things

A few short pointers in reply to your post:
- All assets used in a route and session you want to use for MP must be built in or downloaded from the DLS
- No assets used by the above can have the "locally modified" flag
As a result of these two points you
- Have to re-download your own route (and session) after upload or use an already available set
- Can not transfer the assets on a thumb drive to your friend as they will have the "locally modified" flag after install
So if your friend can't afford a FCT you either need to select a build in or small route and session or have a lot of patience.

That is actually very helpful! Thank you. I am going thru the asset and making sure that all the locally modified tags are gone on all dependencies (deleting and re-downloading). Maybe I'll have to buy my friend a FCT... I am excited to be able to get this working and have renewed hope now. :)

That is actually very helpful! Thank you. I am going thru the asset and making sure that all the locally modified tags are gone on all dependencies (deleting and re-downloading). Maybe I'll have to buy my friend a FCT... I am excited to be able to get this working and have renewed hope now. :)

I am a bit confused as I add the multiplayer rule to the session and route, and then save it, only to upload it and then find a day later when I can download the uploaded file that the multiplayer rule doesnt exist... Even tho I remember putting it in and saving it afterwards. What is going on?

Rules can only be stored in session.
So the question is if you are trying to put the right things in the right place; rules and consists in the session (layer)?

Right right... layers... Must keep that in mind. So I got a session and route working and was playing it just fine in multiplayer yesterday. No locally modified files, no missing dependencies, no faults.

Today, that same route and session aren't working. 5 of the dependencies are faulty or out of date, and some others were locally modified. I had not worked on or overwritten the save since I uploaded it (and yes, I did delete my local route and session files and re-download them from the download station).

Is this a common issue?

Back