Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning a warning of "Copycats"

I don't get mad, but I send this guy to find your computer.

Is it possible for uploaders to "lock" the content like some official payware content is? That would prevent any modification or copying, as the locks disable the clone function and open for edit function. That would be the only way to stop them short of a legal threat, saying I'm going to talk to my lawyer, etc.

On the DLS you can by placing a line in the config file, like Dave Campbell's WOT SD70's ... then nobody can edit them ... and this is a PITA that comes back to bite you in the arse ... as you can not edit them ... so it is better to leave the assets alone, as they were ... and put up with the copy kats ... what harm are they doing to your assets by reskinning them ? Besides shameful reskins, and claiming the asset to be their work ... what harm does this really do ? ... Unless they are selling or making a monetary profit off of your hard works

No Big Deal ! Who really cares ?
    For all those "jumping ship" --v

United States of America, Nebraska, Lincoln

I spent a little time struggling to become a musician over the years. Musicians consider imitation the sincerest form of flattery, until it takes money out of their pocket. You won't find

many who have made it big in the music business who don't owe a debt of gratitude to multiple people who blazed the trail before them. Creating in 3d, whether it be for Trainz, MTS or

whatever, is no different. There are always going to be folks who were here first and came up with a model of something first. But you cannot copyright every conceivable notion that

someone else might have about your idea, only your own idea. So the next person who comes along bears some responsibility for either adding something or subtracting something to the

idea to make it uniquely their own. I would agree that sometimes credit is not given when it should be, but the reality is, none of this would be possible at all, without our ability to share

works, borrow ideas and concepts and evolve all of that into something slightly different. Without that, I suspect we would all be living in caves, and hunting with clubs.

I can certainly understand why someone would want to copyright their creations, and even charge for them. This stuff is not easy, and it takes quite a commitment as far as time, and

sometimes perseverance to complete these projects. I know firsthand, I've done a few, and I am full of ideas that went nowhere because the commitment is just too great sometimes to

complete them. But once I've hung it out there for all the world to see, if someone wants to expand on it, copy it, set it on fire, critique it, laugh at it, knock yourself out. I'll probably even

help you if you need it. But don't let me catch you selling it!

Some Trainz members state in the licence of the uploaded KUID freeware if you are permitted to reskin or alter the work.
    So it is best to check in the Trainz Content Manager the kuid licence (sometimes left blank) to what you can't or can do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davies_mike57 View Post
    Some Trainz members state in the licence of the uploaded KUID freeware if you are permitted to reskin or alter the work.
    So it is best to check in the Trainz Content Manager the kuid licence (sometimes left blank) to what you can't or can do.

• If the licence is left blank then you have to assume that you do not have permission to reskin or alter. If you are really keen then you can PM the creator but no response also means no permission. Don't assume that the creator is dead or has left the Trainz community for good because death or absence does not cancel the creators copyright.

• Something that most copyright violators either don't know or don't want to know is that an asset on the DLS is free for members of the community to use in their routes/session, it is not free to alter in any way and then post to the DLS (or another site) as your own work.

• Most creators have no problems with users altering an asset for their own purposes as long as it stays on their system.

• You can, however, upload a route or session you have created that uses any assets on the DLS (or built in) because your uploaded route/session only references the original assets, it does not copy them.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davesnow View Post
    Who cares? I create something and put it out there for free then promptly forget about it because if someone wants to "steal" it there's absolutely nothing I can or want to do about it so who cares.
    Same here I don't care as long as ppl get something out of the crap I made in the past.

Blog Entries

As much as we want to have our precious creations protected, the modern reality is that copying has become so easy that enforcing that seems to have become a losing battle. Don't know if it is a cultural or age thing but some seem to think that there is nothing wrong copying other's objects, ideas, creations, etc. For every high profile fraud-artist that is caught and exposed, dozens of others continue under the radar. I don't think that is a good thing but you have to pick your battles. At least we can choose not use those objects that are known to be illegally copied.

70337:
    T:ANE SP2 build 88348 and TS12 SP1 HF4 build 61388 | Win7 SP1 64 bit, i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz 16 GB, GTX 870M

Blog Entries

I will add to the comments above by Martinvk.

Because the DLS is free to all Trainz users there is no economic incentive to copy, alter and re-post the work of others - unlike movies and music. This also removes the likelihood of legal action against violators because, as has been discussed elsewhere in these forums, such action would be very expensive for the copyright holder and the violators themselves are extremely unlikely to be wealthy.

The best we can do is to be vigilant. If some-one notices a new asset that they suspect is an unauthorised copy then they should inform the original creator who is the only one who can confirm (or not) if that suspicion is a fact . If confirmed, and if the original creator is prepared to take the matter further, then the usual N3V reporting process can be used to remove the item(s). In the meantime a warning can be placed in these forums.

This, of course, only applies to the DLS. Third party web sites may have different procedures or none at all. If the web site belongs to a violator who is unwilling to remove the asset then there may be very little that can be done, beyond issuing warnings in these forums.

I agree with the comments that once you post something on the Internet it is out of your control. If someone wishes to copy, alter and re-post any of my work then I would hope for, at the best, an acknowledgement. But I will not lose any sleep if I don't get that.
    Last edited by pware; January 10th, 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

United States of America, Nebraska, Lincoln

For those of you who were effected by this copycat he has reposted most of the content on the UKTS site. Usinfg the name Hans 12.

I know the feeling. I just ignore it. It's YT's problem, I don't really count it as a distraction though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_Trainz View Post
    I know the feeling. I just ignore it.
    One day you will ignore something & it will bite you in the ass.
    T:ane SP1 build 84204 + SnC & Duchess