Gtx 1060 for tane

ktain.ny

So I'm taking a break from trainz because of the 30 fps I'm getting with the graphics no on medium.

im getting a serious gaming rig in march with a 1060 gtx in it, the six gig one. Will it be enough to play tane at 60+ fps on highest settings?

I am running a 1050TI at high settings and it is running like a champ. So a 1060 should easily take the load as well. If I may ask, What are some of the other specs (CPU Ram HD etc...)

As always, it's a good idea to check out what Tom's Hardware says about your proposed card in their venerable Gaming GPU Hierarchy based on their extensive reviews:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

ktain.ny: Will it be enough to play tane at 60+ fps on highest settings?

6Gb 3rd party versions of the GTX 1060 generally perform well with T:ANE, but whether or not you'll get 60+ FPS in every scenario in T:ANE with all the wicks turned right up is dubious.
Busy scenes with poorly-designed assets/ incorrect LODs can bring even mightier cards to a crawl.

With vertical sync turned OFF and a draw distance of around 6000m with normal, well-designed routes and sessions, however, you should often see better than 60+ FPS with any of the cards shown in the top 6 tiers of the hierarchy.

Generally speaking a GTX 1060 is roughly the equivalent of a GTX980 which is sort of the card that TANE was designed for.

N3V programmers use mainly nVidia cards so I'd stay within nVidia.

No matter what the card even a nVidia Titian (pascal) by carefully selecting the assets I can bring it to its knees in Trainz / TANE. Certain assets created in Sketchup have a lot of polys and textures. By the way the CPU is not nearly so critical, John Citron measured the temp of the CPU and GPU same scenario and in TANE the CPU ran cooler than TS12. So before you buy a whole new rig think about dropping in a GTX 1070, it will probably be cheaper and give you better performance than a new rig with a GTX 1060.

Cheerio John

Thanks for the advice everyone!

i think the cpu is one of 3.7 ghz i5 cards, but I'm not to sure (I'm having it built at micro center I'm not getting a pre built one).

I've just got a new PC with a GTX 1070 and I'm not regretting it so far - feel like I'm seeing TANE for the first time!

Paul

Thanks for the advice everyone!

i think the cpu is one of 3.7 ghz i5 cards, but I'm not to sure (I'm having it built at micro center I'm not getting a pre built one).
I would just look into putting it together yourself to save some money to invest in better components on the front end.

Back