RX 470 for TANE

Mick_Berg

Newegg is offering a RX 470 with 4g of RAM for $149. This is doable for me. I read that TANE never uses more than 3g of RAM. Would this be a good choice?
Thanks,
Mick

The AMD RX 470 is an excellent card for the money and should run T:ANE really well with relatively high performance settings.
You might have to back off the draw distance a tad and run shadows at 'Medium' or 'High', but everything else should be able to be turned up, to provide a satisfying frame-rate and high quality visual experience.
As you'll see from the Tom's Hardware Hierarchy of Gaming GPUs, it shares the same 6th tier with many other commendable graphics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

3rd party vendor solutions (like Asus or Gigabyte) will likely offer better cooling solutions for this card.
What GPU are you currently running, Mick?

If you're willing to spend a little more, Best Buy (or at least my local store) has an 8GB RX480 on sale for $249.99. I am able to run T:ANE on ultra settings with it, and I can get around 50-60 FPS with it. The 470 should get you by, but as mentioned before, you probably won't get ultra settings out of it.

One thing to be wary of, you may need to upgrade your power supply as well. Best Buy has a 600W EVGA PSU on sale for around $35 that does the job just fine.

Matt

Last edited:
The AMD RX 470 is an excellent card for the money and should run T:ANE really well with relatively high performance settings.
You might have to back off the draw distance a tad and run shadows at 'Medium' or 'High', but everything else should be able to be turned up, to provide a satisfying frame-rate and high quality visual experience.
As you'll see from the Tom's Hardware Hierarchy of Gaming GPUs, it shares the same 6th tier with many other commendable graphics cards:

3rd party vendor solutions (like Asus or Gigabyte) will likely offer better cooling solutions for this card.
What GPU are you currently running, Mick?

Her's a copy-and-paste from John Citron's WinAudit app;

Item Value
Adapter Number 1
Name AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Adapter RAM 2048MB
Colour Depth 32bit
Vertical Resolution 96dpi
Current Refresh Rate 59Hz
Video Processor AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6613)
Adapter DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Adapter ID AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
BIOS 113-240A-CLFX-W80-101

I had to run all the faders pretty low with this card, I'm looking forward to a significant improvement.
Mick

If you're willing to spend a little more, Best Buy (or at least my local store) has an 8GB RX480 on sale for $249.99. I am able to run T:ANE on ultra settings with it, and I can get around 50-60 FPS with it. The 470 should get you by, but as mentioned before, you probably won't get ultra settings out of it.

One thing to be wary of, you may need to upgrade your power supply as well. Best Buy has a 600W EVGA PSU on sale for around $35 that does the job just fine.

Matt

That's nearly twice as much. If that was my budget, obviously I wouldn't be considering the less powerful card! I have a 500w PSU, don't anticipate problems there.

I went for it and clicked the button. It is Christmas after all.

Cheers,
Mick

Remembering that N3V program on nVidia GPUs and that a GTX 1050 is also available for $150 on newegg.com or even $110 with a couple of gigs of memory I might double check the comparative benchmarks and how much power they require. The GTX is available for under $200 these days from newegg.com.

I only ran AMD at one time but the new nVidia cards are quite respectable.

Cheerio John

Remembering that N3V program on nVidia GPUs and that a GTX 1050 is also available for $150 on newegg.com or even $110 with a couple of gigs of memory I might double check the comparative benchmarks and how much power they require. The GTX is available for under $200 these days from newegg.com.

I only ran AMD at one time but the new nVidia cards are quite respectable.

Cheerio John

As you can see in post#7 I went for the RX. I'm an AMD loyalist!

Mick

This doesn't seem like a bad card. You won't be able to run T:ANE with the sliders set at 100% but it should work.

Here's some techy info on it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-470.171188.0.html

It's just below the GTX780Ti which I have and its equivalent is the GTX970, which isn't a bad card either.

Hope this helps.

John

John,

Since you seem to know about GPU stuff, I have the 860m in my ASUS ROG lapping topper. I run T:ANE fine, very smoothly, with all settings maximized, etc., how does it compare to the RX-470 by AMD?

John,

Since you seem to know about GPU stuff, I have the 860m in my ASUS ROG lapping topper. I run T:ANE fine, very smoothly, with all settings maximized, etc., how does it compare to the RX-470 by AMD?

The 860m is a mobile version so you pay extra so it runs cooler. The RX-470 is a desktop GPU, they aren't directly comparable. To compare them you need to look at the screen size in pixels. The new nVidia mobile cards such as the GTX 1060 mobile are comparable to the desktop versions however.

The problem with how much GPU you need for TANE is it very much depends on which assets you run and how many of them there are in the scene. No matter what the system with the right selection of assets it can be brought to its knees.

Cheerio John

John,

The GPU you have is in the upper mid-range

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

The mobile version of the R470 is much lower on in that category on this website, see right column, and therefore quite a bit slower. The desktop version, that Mick is looking at, however, is quite a beast and just a few cards below the now older GTX780Ti.

Basically your GPU in your laptop is not a bad little critter in its category.

The web link above is quite useful for checking the stuff like this. :)

John

Matt

AMD FX4300 Quad Core 3.8 GHz, AMD RX480 8GB DDR5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, 1TB HDD
Is this the system you are using for tane? If so you made my day I was holding off building a new system until the price came down on some chips i was looking at fx 6300 but everybody made it sound like it would not run on that.[h=2][/h]

The GPU you have is in the upper mid-range

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html

The mobile version of the R470 is much lower on in that category on this website, see right column, and therefore quite a bit slower. The desktop version, that Mick is looking at, however, is quite a beast and just a few cards below the now older GTX780Ti.

Basically your GPU in your laptop is not a bad little critter in its category.

The web link above is quite useful for checking the stuff like this. :)

John

Thanks John!

AMD FX4300 Quad Core 3.8 GHz, AMD RX480 8GB DDR5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, 1TB HDD
Is this the system you are using for tane? If so you made my day I was holding off building a new system until the price came down on some chips i was looking at fx 6300 but everybody made it sound like it would not run on that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

The CPU isn't so crictical for TANE so the existing one should do fine. If you are using an RX480 already and you aren't happy with the performance then I suggest a nVdida GTX 1070 or the 1060 depending on your wallet.

Cheerio John

Getting back to the RX 470, I installed it yesterday. Able to use 3500 view distance instead of 1500 as previously, very nice. But in ECML I only average 20-25 fps, was hoping to get a solid 30. Not using shadows (don't care for them).
The card is huge compared to the old R7 200. It fitted in the case with nothing to spare. Also it had an 8-pin power socket which should be a six, I had to spend six bucks on an adapter which increased the price.
But I'm happy overall. ��
Mick

Getting back to the RX 470, I installed it yesterday. Able to use 3500 view distance instead of 1500 as previously, very nice. But in ECML I only average 20-25 fps, was hoping to get a solid 30. Not using shadows (don't care for them).
The card is huge compared to the old R7 200. It fitted in the case with nothing to spare. Also it had an 8-pin power socket which should be a six, I had to spend six bucks on an adapter which increased the price.
But I'm happy overall. ��
Mick
On a plain route, no scenery or textures, fps will not go above 30. I seem to remember that I set an option somewhere to limit fps to 30 but I can't remember where I did it! Can anyone jog my memory?
Talking of which, the Afterburner shows that GPU RAM usage hardly ever exceeds 1 gig, even when running a full-blown route like ECML. So why do we need anything more than 2 gigs of RAM? Or is my card being limited somehow?
Thanks,
Mick

Mick_Berg - It's on the Launcher Settings tab - Change the Vertical synch to None (or if you want to restrict it to 60, set it to 'Full').
I'd recommend removing the V. Sync altogether to see how well your new card handles T:ANE.
Think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Expect to see triple digits at times!
But remember, poorly constructed or heavily scenic route areas with lots of speed trees and/or high-poly buildings and other assets will slow your frame rates down.

I have 8Gb pf GDDR5 RAM on my card too, but it hardly exceeds 2.5Gb at any stage whilst running T:ANE in Full HD (1920 by 1080) mode, but that would go up if I was running it at 4K resolution.

Last edited:
Mick... There is an option in the "trainzoptions.txt" file
to limit frames. In TS12sp1, this is located in the
user folder.

Mine is listed as follows.

-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
-Jet=bin
-cabinfov=60
-surveyorfov=45
-DefaultAutoMip=none
-DynamicVertexBufferSize=4194304