Integrated 4000 Graphics Card/NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M
8GB RAM

Proposed laptop:

VR XPLORER
Intel i7-6700K @4.0 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
24 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

How does the latter look? Would it be enough to run a lot of trains on TANE with yards nearly full and multiple trains on the map at one time with a lot of high detail buildings and assets or should I go further? I'm also looking at a gaming desktop but I wanna get the laptop first because I can take it with me wherever I go while the desktop is virtually only useful in one location. Ideally I'd like to have one of each.

Just don't expect to stray far from a power socket. Should work fine but you don't need Win 10 pro to run TANE, it offers no advantages but you may have another requirement for it.

Personally I'd look at Dell Alienware, the slowest i7 should do fine its the caches you want and I think the i7 mobile chip is dual core. The GTX 1060 should do fine, and draws less power and for that reason I'd go with 8 gigs of memory. I would switch the hard drive for an SSD but you can do that in the future.

I'd also look at Newegg.com at the gaming laptops and select those with nVidia GTX 10 series video cards, see which have the highest rating.

Something to think about is the weight of these gaming rigs, you might do better to run with shadows off and set the sliders back and use your existing laptop, it should support directx 11. Spend the money on a decent desktop.

Cheerio John

Your proposed upgraded laptop looks pretty good to me.
The mobile version of the GTX 1070 has more Cuda cores than my desktop 1070!
As with any gaming laptop though, make sure it is really well ventilated/ cooled.
On my desktop version of the GPU, the temps rarely exceed 65 degrees Celsius running T:ANE at extreme settings, but I have a large, well-cooled case to house it.

Your proposed upgraded laptop looks pretty good to me.
The mobile version of the GTX 1070 has more Cuda cores than my desktop 1070!
As with any gaming laptop though, make sure it is really well ventilated/ cooled.
On my desktop version of the GPU, the temps rarely exceed 65 degrees Celsius running T:ANE at extreme settings, but I have a large, well-cooled case to house it.

I think you need to check the reviews on one of the lessor known brands. Heat has always been a problem with computers since time began and anything that advertises Win 10 Pro is probably trying to distract you from looking at the rest of the package. Perhaps the screen for example. It could be OK but sometimes I get cynical.

Cheerio John

Back