Railroad Crossing Tutorials (The stoppers don't work)

iceman11a

I been following this tutorial on how to setup a railroad crossing for T:ANE. here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BcZSN6uuQ the problem is that for some reason the stoppers don't work. The cars passing by just go threw the stoppers and threw the train. This was the one I fount that was done that I could under stand. The volume sucks. The author needs to turn up his volume. In the mean time. I was hoping someone mite have an updated tutorial video an an idea on why the stoppers don't work.

UPDATE: I did learn that I fount out that the only thing I couldn't do on that video is adjust the height of the stoppers.

Last edited:
I used the following old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0il0pmLtJ4 along with a written tutorial unfortunately that website appears to have since closed. However if your barriers are closing I would suggest you have basically got it working. I found it was too easy to connect the roads to the wrong connection points on the likes of the stoppers or control paths to the barriers hence was effectively bye-passing them. To make life easier I moved the stoppers, barriers, controllers etc apart and away from the track so I could see more clearly what I was doing, I then connected them all together then brought them together and aligned them.

I'm not sure the volume on the video was low, more a case of the creator mumbling. Peter

can you tell me what barriers you use. The tutorials didn't say any thing about using something called barriers. How ever I will try your idea. so far I haven't been able to get the stoppers to work.

I use ALTS Xing series of crossings but they are UK style barriers and I can't see a US style in the series. However its not the barriers which control the traffic its the positioning of the stoppers. Your screenshot looks correct other than the triggers are a bit close to the crossing to give time for everything to happen before the train arrives. The one before the crossing should be some distance away subject to train speed, the one after is good. Later this afternoon I'll copy your assets and layout and see where it goes. Peter

UPDATE: I did learn that I fount out that the only thing I couldn't do on that video is adjust the height of the stoppers.

You adjust the height before attaching the road splines.

Need to move those track markers a lot further away from the crossing, like I would say at least 100m so they don't overlap, effective radius of the track marks is 20m which according to your screenshot are overlapping.

Edit just noticed the junction, in which case I would put a track mark on each line, does work or does for me!

Last edited:
Unless you had something specific in mind with your setup; just use one ATLS slave and connect both signals and stoppers to the one. Check your triggers to use only that slave. Good luck.

Looks as if you are using too many of those blue and white object (I forget what they are called at the moment). Remove the bottom one and connect the top traffic blocker to the bottom one with the invisible rail. You appear to have your triggers set up properly and the controller. Make sure that ALL of the triggers, stoppers and such are on the same channel. In fact, for that small a road, you could probably eliminate one of the traffic blockers also and put it in the middle of the track. The stopping radius would probably keep cars from edging through the barriers (if you have any).

If the traffic blockers are TOO far apart, then you run the risk of having a vehicle trapped between them -- right on the tracks.

Bill

I have just constructed your second screen shot and have it working. Using one slave I used erase track to connect Slave to Gate 1 to Stopper 1 to Gate 2 to Stopper 2 in a single chain. I set each Trigger to 2 Way Running - 4 Trigger System. I laid the road short of any connecting point on the Stoppers, then dragged the end onto the connecting points of the Stoppers as I found it either connected to the wrong point or didn't connect at all when trying to do it directly. Peter

Edit: I was able to raise the Stopper after I put it all together using the Adjust Height (H) tool to have the road clear the track.

Last edited:
With a Similar set up here I have two markers on the the two tracks before the junction and one on the other side of the crossing and the traffic stoppers connected to each other with invisible track and only one blue and white invisible thingy, invisible train? on an invisible track connected to one of the traffic stoppers.

Edit: Triggers set for one or two way running, had to go and look!

Last edited:
Then I'm stump at why this doesn't work. I had something like this running in Trainz 12. why can't I get this to work in T:ANE. I tried all of the ideas and reset the triggers. and the stoppers still don't stop traffic. Does some one by chance have a sample made up. some thing that I can download and look at it. Please use one track and one street.

by the way, does someone run a channel in discord for trainz. If so can I have the link for it.

Last edited:
1. Two ATLS Slaves are actually OK as long as they have the same CH configs as all ATLS assets for this crossing.

2. A plausible issue that everyone has overlooked is the possible spline point "trick". It is known that if one places a road spline at the right close up spot, the carz ignore the stopper. Just for arguements sake move the 2 spline circles nearest the stoppers away from the crossing and rule this quirk true or false.

Yeah, you should eliminate one traffic stopper and place the remaining one on the crossing. Eliminate the road spline between the two stoppers; your existing road spline points are well-positioned to stop the carz appropriately.

Now if boat would just come up with a 1-way stopper so the traffic will get off the tracks! I haven't been able to achieve that with spline joint manipulation in 12.

:B~)

I have done this myself, but I have to ask: have you set the ATLS controller to "Level Crossing Mode"? I keep forgetting to click the minus sign for the mode to make ti go to "-1" or LCM.

Bill

Dumb question, but, gotta ask. Is the road actually attached to the stopper. If yes, I recomend using another traffic stopper(there are a few others that work great as well.)

I have no way of knowing if it is, and I don't think that was a dumb question. Yes I know there are other traffic stoppers. What one should I try and I'll download some more from the DLC.

Back