Looking for a laptop in the 150-200usd range for use of Trainz 12

Many resellers offer end-of-lease business laptops for sale (usually refurbished and cleaned up with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating systems) that might do the trick.
I know that we have several retailers here in NZ that offer relatively high-spec ex-corporate machines at ridiculously low prices, considering their original purchase cost was in excess of US$2000 just two or three years ago.
If you don't mind considering second hand, then look for similar deals in your country to see what's available.

Warning! To run T:ANE successfully on any laptop, you'll need it to have a DirectX 11-capable graphics card - preferably a discrete GPU with at least 1Gb of GDDR5 VRAM - and not one integrated with the CPU.
It also needs to be really well-cooled/ ventilated, as T:ANE will push modest, non-gaming laptops to their thermal limits very rapidly.

I know a guy that buys PC's from people, and cleans them out data wise, installs a new OS, and re-sells them in that range ... none of them have a video card, and all either have an onboard chip, or are integrated graphics ... which will not run 09, 10, 12, let alone T:ANE

A $200 PC is only good for general computing, and playing other video games, and will not run Trainz ... unless it is 04, 06 ... and will get very hot, and performance sliders will have to be set near minimum

You have to save up some more money ... in the $1000 to $2000 range to run Trainz ... Even a $750 PC is very iff'y

Very few BigBox store PC's will run Trainz (BestBuy, Staples, Office Depot, Sears, KMart, Walmart, QVC, Home Shopping Network ... etc ...) they all sell pure junk !

Almost all low end laptops will not run Trainz at all

An HP DV7 for $1200 will fry itself temperature wise

Last edited:
FIFTH 1200

Being completely honest, and trying to keep it real... you will not find a NEW one at the price with good enough specs to get any decent performance. Try the used market, and look through MANY of them. I don't know what to say, other than save more money.

Straight and simple No. Sorry as mentioned before save up for one, if you insist on a laptop then look in the 1500 to 1800 for a 1000 series Nvidia graphics card gaming laptop.

www.dellrefurbished.com cat B has one for $199 i5 i5-2540M so directx 10.1 a Latitude E6420. Avoid ebay I picked up two for what I needed to do they're fine but the touch screen on one doesn't work and on the other the screen is damaged so the image isn't too good.

It will run TS12, you will have to be careful what you choose to run and set the sliders accordingly. It will never run TANE.

If you can run to $319 then you can get your hands on a i5-3210M CPU which has Directx 11 or it will just about run TANE. The E 54030 is upgradeable to 16 gigs of memory and an SSD. It ships with win 7, win 10 gives better performance.

Cheerio John

To put it bluntly, a cheap-o $200 laptop from Walmart will barely browse the web without going belly up, let alone run any version of Trainz.

Matt

Last edited:
To put it bluntly, a cheap-o $200 laptop from Walmart will barely browse the web without going belly up, let alone run any version of Trainz.

Matt

Which is why you're into refurbished at this price range. It's not a wonderful solution but it will just about work.

Cheerio John

Thanks but the truth is I wanted a laptop because my 1200$ Ibuy power gaming computer from 2012 is not working and I don't know how to fix it and a all the repair estimates in my area are saying 600$ just to check and see no guarantees it can even be fixed

and it always ran Trainz 12 perfectly

Thanks but the truth is I wanted a laptop because my 1200$ Ibuy power gaming computer from 2012 is not working and I don't know how to fix it and a all the repair estimates in my area are saying 600$ just to check and see no guarantees it can even be fixed

and it always ran Trainz 12 perfectly

What are the symptoms? We do have a few people around who can fix things.

Cheerio John

Back