early 1900s USA Semaphore Masts

crisger

RR Mod Maker
Can anyone suggest working animated Semaphiore masts with 2 arms that would be suitable for route operations in the steam era, around 1910?

here is a photo of the prototype and i am also looking into making one but thought there may be some and the library is not very good at giving complete returns on some items like this so i thought about asking as well. thanks in advance for any advice.

fpwDlf.jpg

GhiznW.jpg

pmEmIgPzj

I have never seen the 2 arm ones ... is the other arm for the opposite direction track ?

Seniorchief's old style gantry ones are very high poly and affect framerates drasticly (as do the majority of his signals)

There are many of the more modern semaphores on the DLS

gfisher made some train semaphores. However, they're designed to work as switchstands, meaning you need to make a switch in order to get the semaphores to work. The position of the blades tell which way the switch is aligned. He also made some static ones as scenery.

Several of tlanders' CNR Stations have these signals. I am searching for a standalone version.

Edit: Ah Ha! <kuid2:87145:28062:3> Train Order Board (Platform) by tlanders, it is a scenery asset

;)

Edit again:

<kuid2:87145:28062:3> Train Order Board (Platform)
<kuid2:87145:28063:2> Train Order Board (Roof)
<kuid2:87145:28074:2> Train Order Board (2-Aspect)
<kuid:106916:10206> B&M Train Order Board C-C
<kuid:106916:10208> B&M Train Order Board S-C
<kuid:106916:10209> B&M Train Order Board S-S
<kuid:106916:10307> SP Train Order Board S-S
<kuid2:106916:10313:1> CBQ Train Order Board C-C

<kuid:106916:10219> B&M Train Order Board is a track object and changes aspects as a dummy switch. Pretty neat!

:D

Pretty neat! I used invisible track to setup a switch near the station. Hum, I wonder what would happen if I made it a three way switch? :D

Yup that's the way to do it!

On further thought if you wanted the signal to be reflected in the hud you would want to use a single invisible track off the station track and change it via driver commands. If you just wanted a visually operational signal then you would use the three way invisible track not connected to the actual track and change it via driver commands.

Last edited:
There is also a PRR train order board scenery item

"PRR Train Order Board C-C" <kuid:373201:100198> by octls

You are welcome. I discovered that there are three functional Train Order Boards

<kuid:106916:10219> B&M Train Order Board
<kuid:106916:10303> SP Train Order Board
<kuid:106916:10312> CBQ Train Order Board

All by gfisher and all lower quadrants not upper quadrants as the Tolland signal was.

It would be fun to set up a session which requires the driver to respond to the signals and pickup passengers and/or pick up orders for unscheduled meets and/or overtakes.

Last edited:
That's a neat way to activate the signal. The only real application would be in a multiplayer session with one person acting as dispatcher. For accuracy, the signal must be mounted near the operator's office -- the signals were manually activated by the station operator or agent when there were orders to be (manually) handed off to passing trains. Copies to every train affected by a given order. The bookkeeping was stupefying! The machinery was rod-and-lever.

:B~)
Bob

I "think" that it might be possible to use session commands to switch the signal and combine it with html messages to provide a pretty good simulation of stopping/slowing for picking up orders. I'll try fooling with it sometime, maybe.

Back