Building a new PC: Are these specs good?

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
So, I finally got around to building my own PC. I'm wondering, are my specs that I'm still planning good for running T:ANE?

Graphics Card:
Nividia GTX Geforce 960

Processer Choice:
Intel I7

Motherboard:
Still being decided:

Ram:
Starting with 8 GB of ram, later upping to 32 GB of ram.

Cooling:
Regular cooling

Hard Drive
1 128 GB Sandisk Sata SSD
1 Standard Seagate 128 GB Sata Harddrive
Hopefully 1 Terybyte Sata Harddrive

Optical Drives
1 DVD Drive

Zeldaboy14 - Looks good - good strategy for building a machine to conquer T:ANE is to start with the best graphics card you can afford at the time. :)
Then get an Intel i7 CPU (always a good choice)
The motherboard to suit the above then falls into place and that will also determine the type of RAM to buy.
Hard drives are easy to accommodate (and having 2 SSDs is great!) Use one for your operating system and the other for T:ANE.
The big (Terabyte+) hard disk drive will be great for storing your documents, projects, photos, videos, T:ANE backups, etc.
If you choose your case carefully, with the right built-in fans, then cooling shouldn't be a problem, as i7s and recent NVidia cards are very thermally efficient (unless heavily overclocked).

One thing to think about though, that you haven't mentioned yet, is a power supply unit to drive it all.
See if you can get something around or over 500W if possible. That will give you enough power to allow you to stretch the gaming legs of your card and CPU.

Last edited:
The only observation I'd make is that an i5 cpu, coupled with a gtx970 / 1060 might be a better balance for your money, assuming you don't need the power of an i7 for other (non-gaming) applications. Tane won't suffer noticeably from the lower spec'd cpu, whereas you'd definitely notice the difference with the higher spec'd GPU. Make sure you don't over pay for a 900 series card. Prices are tumbling as the 10 series starts to roll out in numbers.

Cooling has been mentioned but don't forget the case and your budget. Case and cooling drastically contribute to noise which you probably don't want to listen to each time you use the machine. I don't know of many games if any which use 32GB of RAM and few even use 16GB. The monies saved would likely be better spent on the graphics card or improved cooling for the CPU particularly if you go with the i7. If you look at the bench-marking of the series 900 and 1000 graphic cards you will find they neatly slot between each other a sign of good marketing I guess. Once you have decided how to spread your budget it might be prudent to also consider such performance against cost while keeping in mind the intended life of the machine. Happy shopping. Peter

I kinda forgot about the case and power supply here, but I'm going for a power supply that will be able to power everything, as well as the Nividia GTX Gforce 960 card. I have other programs that a I7 would do justice over the I5, so that's why I'm gonna go with the I7. The case I think I got figured out. it's gonna be a midtower case, but that's as far as I got with looking for a good case.

When it comes to cases not only do you need to consider housing/mounting the various components but also clearance. The obvious is the length of the graphic card, hence when a manufacturer says a case will take for example a 12.5" card does that include perhaps a front panel mounted cooling fan. Other examples are the clearance between the back of a DVD drive and the PSU, CPU coolers being to high for the case, or fowling the hard-drive bays or the RAM. There is much to be gained by searching Google and YouTube for reviews of the components you propose to purchase and see what others think or have noticed. Peter

Back