Quick Drive Question

Leafcutter

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this game/sim and I must say i'm very impressed.

I have a couple of questions which I have been unable to find examples of either on Google or You tube...

If I start a quickdrive session (to play, not surveyor) and put either a passenger or freight train (consist) down and set off... how do I know where to pick up/drop passengers? How do I know where to pick up/drop off industry goods? (waybills - I can find nothing on that) and is there a way to set waypoints so that once I discover where I want to go, I can give myself some help getting there?

Many Thanks in advance.

-LC-

You pick up & drop off where you like.
'Quickdrive' is 'Free Roaming', meaning you go where you want, no rules, it's up to you.

If you want rules & instructions with waybills, then you need to run 'Sessions'.

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions which I have been unable to find examples of either on Google or You tube...

If I start a quickdrive session (to play, not surveyor) and put either a passenger or freight train (consist) down and set off... how do I know where to pick up/drop passengers? How do I know where to pick up/drop off industry goods? (waybills - I can find nothing on that) and is there a way to set waypoints so that once I discover where I want to go, I can give myself some help getting there?

Many Thanks in advance.

-LC-

It is a bit frustrating when you first try out a new route and not know where you are going.

I've always found it is wise to first open the route or session in Surveyor, go into map view and plot the route listing all the stations or prominent industries. Then close it out without saving. Once you have an idea of the layout, then go into Quickdrive.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

Hi all,

Many Thanks in advance.

-LC-

You are in charg of everything. You also are in charge of signaling.

Earlier versions such as UTC, TS 2010 etc. were more easier to create a session. In TANE, I find it a little unappealing. Hence, I play the sessions.

Thanks for your answers.

In a route's multiplayer session... are there AI trains going about their business regardless of player actions?

So theoretically the player (or players) can choose to play (as described above) and co-operate with the AI drivers while doing it.
Sessions are great, but AI drivers portal in, go somewhere and more often than not are deleted again... giving the feeling of a layout being populated and busy, but only during the lifetime of the mission the player is given.

Thanks.

I've never used a multiplayer session so I can't say yes or no, but a basic driving session setup to have AI run from one portal to another would do that.

What I do is setup something as just that. I have my AI driving from one end of the route to another on the mainline while I take control of local and yard shunting. There are AI passenger trains on the same line I am, for instance, which I've setup to stop at various stations, and AI controlled freight consists running from point a to point b, or point b to point c as they follow the various driver commands. Staying out of the way of the AI traffic, can become a challenge in its self, and has become part of many of my driving sessions.

For complex routes, I highly recommend the Driver Schedule Library and the related Copy Commands driver command. Using the library, you can easily setup a bunch of 'schedules', which are then saved and loaded into the driver command bar via a single copy commands driver command. This saves a ton of time when configuring multiple drivers, and portals.

So with all the AI drivers running, I'll as I said take over the local switching as the AI pass by the yard. With the wonderful ability to take over AI trains at any time with Trainz, I'll stop a through running AI train, uncouple the engines and direct the AI to temporarily drive to the engine house while I then switch out the freight wagons. When I'm done doing my job here, I'll then have the AI driver couple on to the freight consist, and continue on the schedule.

As I said, this is done in a basic driving session simply setup with commands and schedules. There is no end-goal of driving a train at a set schedule, no golden coins to collect, sorry I mean points and stars, and no little floating guide points lofting in space, which get hidden by the driver image and screen because the interface changes, no text that's so small on these things that it's about the size of ants' eyes.

My sessions can last 8 hours or longer on my 200-plus mile route. I may not see the complete route, however, the AI are busy driving on the other parts as I focus on one area. On one route, for instance, I have numerous coal mines on various branches located in what are called hollows. I'll run the coal trains from the various mines while the AI are busy tying up the mainline on this tiny section. If I get tired of moving coal trains, I'll move on to a through passenger train, which I'll 'catch' as the AI passes by. I'll take that ride to another part of the route where I'll take over switching and driving there.

The thing to keep in mind is sessions like this take time to setup. It's not that it's complex, with hundreds of triggers and special effects, it's just a lot of commands. When setting up a long driving session, or one on a larger-sized route, setup a couple of portals, and one of the driver schedules. Test this with multiple consists, then once this is successful, go on and add more drivers, more schedules, and so on to build up the driver session to its fullest.

The other thing is never use the default session for your driving. Instead copy the default session to an active driving session with another name. Why you ask? The reason is simple. When working on a route, the default session can and will be overwritten, sometimes on purpose initially, but usually by accident. There's a lot going on here, and in the haste of saving your hard work, this is one less thing to think about and you don't want to lose your hard work that you spent days on, and found a simple route thing that needed fixing like a bridge abutment facing the wrong direction, and saved and forgot to pick do not save session.

I'm trying to deal with "Copy Commands" right now so it's good the topic has come up. First, should it not be called "Paste Commands"?

I find "Copy Commands from Driver" to be rather problematic. I have several trains who basically do exactly the same thing, (and will soon have many more) but with minor differences, so "Copy Commands from Driver" really doesn't work for me. ATM I'm having to laboriously copy the command list manually from one train to the others.
(Computers are supposed to make "laboriously" a thing of the past, right?)

Is there a way to copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files? I would much prefer that.

Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:
I've never used a multiplayer session so I can't say yes or no, but a basic driving session setup to have AI run from one portal to another would do that.

What I do is setup something as just that. I have my AI driving from one end of the route to another on the mainline while I take control of local and yard shunting. There are AI passenger trains on the same line I am, for instance, which I've setup to stop at various stations, and AI controlled freight consists running from point a to point b, or point b to point c as they follow the various driver commands. Staying out of the way of the AI traffic, can become a challenge in its self, and has become part of many of my driving sessions.

For complex routes, I highly recommend the Driver Schedule Library and the related Copy Commands driver command. Using the library, you can easily setup a bunch of 'schedules', which are then saved and loaded into the driver command bar via a single copy commands driver command. This saves a ton of time when configuring multiple drivers, and portals.

So with all the AI drivers running, I'll as I said take over the local switching as the AI pass by the yard. With the wonderful ability to take over AI trains at any time with Trainz, I'll stop a through running AI train, uncouple the engines and direct the AI to temporarily drive to the engine house while I then switch out the freight wagons. When I'm done doing my job here, I'll then have the AI driver couple on to the freight consist, and continue on the schedule.

As I said, this is done in a basic driving session simply setup with commands and schedules. There is no end-goal of driving a train at a set schedule, no golden coins to collect, sorry I mean points and stars, and no little floating guide points lofting in space, which get hidden by the driver image and screen because the interface changes, no text that's so small on these things that it's about the size of ants' eyes.

My sessions can last 8 hours or longer on my 200-plus mile route. I may not see the complete route, however, the AI are busy driving on the other parts as I focus on one area. On one route, for instance, I have numerous coal mines on various branches located in what are called hollows. I'll run the coal trains from the various mines while the AI are busy tying up the mainline on this tiny section. If I get tired of moving coal trains, I'll move on to a through passenger train, which I'll 'catch' as the AI passes by. I'll take that ride to another part of the route where I'll take over switching and driving there.

The thing to keep in mind is sessions like this take time to setup. It's not that it's complex, with hundreds of triggers and special effects, it's just a lot of commands. When setting up a long driving session, or one on a larger-sized route, setup a couple of portals, and one of the driver schedules. Test this with multiple consists, then once this is successful, go on and add more drivers, more schedules, and so on to build up the driver session to its fullest.

The other thing is never use the default session for your driving. Instead copy the default session to an active driving session with another name. Why you ask? The reason is simple. When working on a route, the default session can and will be overwritten, sometimes on purpose initially, but usually by accident. There's a lot going on here, and in the haste of saving your hard work, this is one less thing to think about and you don't want to lose your hard work that you spent days on, and found a simple route thing that needed fixing like a bridge abutment facing the wrong direction, and saved and forgot to pick do not save session.

Hey John,

You've covered it in a nutshell, mate. You couldn't spell it out any easier.

This is what Trainz is all about,... build a route that you'll enjoy coming back to, set up a session using Schedule Library and Central Portal Control, then ride your route to your hearts content.

Sure it takes time to bring it to this stage, however if you follow the rules and the basics, cover all your bases by testing it out again and again, refining it here and there; then finally after the hard work has been done, you've got something to enjoy and be proud of.

Cheers and take care.
Roy

I'm trying to deal with "Copy Commands" right now so it's good the topic has come up. First, should it not be called "Paste Commands"?

I find "Copy Commands from Driver" to be rather problematic. I have several trains who basically do exactly the same thing, (and will soon have many more) but with minor differences, so "Copy Commands from Driver" really doesn't work for me. ATM I'm having to laboriously copy the command list manually from one train to the others.
(Computers are supposed to make "laboriously" a thing of the past, right?)

Is there a way to copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files? I would much prefer that.

Thanks,
Mick

I don't have any problems with 'Copy Commands' or with what it is called. In fact what it is called actually fills the bill.

Firstly, you've got to remember that no two routes are the same, so your driver commands will be totally different.

By using 'Schedule Library' to store all your driver commands and if it is saved correctly; then it is simply a matter of 'Copying from the Library' (Trainz has made it easy by using the term 'Copy Command') when setting up individual drivers.

Luckily, if you have organised your commands properly, you don't need to repeat those commands again in your route - they can be used over and over again by as many drivers as you choose.

From route to route? Probably not a good idea.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

I think Mick's issue is that you cannot see, and hence edit, the copied commands on a driver by driver basis whilst in Surveyor. I guess what you'd need is a "copy driver" option in the Driver setup rule, similar to what you have in some of the path rules. You could then go in and tweak the driver commands (and driver name) on the cloned copy as required. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to do that at present.

You can enter your frequently used command sequences into a Schedule Library, as noted above, and then insert them into your individual driver commands lists at the appropriate points. That would at least help to reduce your set-up effort.

John

I don't have any problems with 'Copy Commands' or with what it is called. In fact what it is called actually fills the bill.

Firstly, you've got to remember that no two routes are the same, so your driver commands will be totally different.

By using 'Schedule Library' to store all your driver commands and if it is saved correctly; then it is simply a matter of 'Copying from the Library' (Trainz has made it easy by using the term 'Copy Command') when setting up individual drivers.

Luckily, if you have organised your commands properly, you don't need to repeat those commands again in your route - they can be used over and over again by as many drivers as you choose.

From route to route? Probably not a good idea.

Cheers,
Roy3b3
As an example I have a fairly long journey, which would justify using Schedule Library, but with one difference, viz. the train goes into a different platform at the terminal. So you can't use Copy/Paste Commands from Driver (you may not have a problem with it, I do!:)) unless you shorten the list and add different platforms at the end.

John (Vostrail) seems to appreciate what I am talking about. I have done as he suggests but it all gets rather complicated.

And "from route to route," absolutely, that would never work.

Mick

Last edited:
As an example I have a fairly long journey, which would justify using Schedule Library, but with one difference, viz. the train goes into a different platform at the terminal. So you can't use Copy/Paste Commands from Driver (you may not have a problem with it, I do!:)) unless you shorten the list and add different platforms at the end.

John (Vostrail) seems to appreciate what I am talking about. I have done as he suggests but it all gets rather complicated.

Mick

I beg to differ Mick. There is a way to make various changes in Driver mode.

Using Driver mode; and whether you use Schedule Library or not, you may have set up original driver commands designated to your particular driver and then mid-stream you may want to change those commands to 'go to another platform', terminal, etc.

Just 'drag' the command off and away from the schedule, and then it's a simple matter to add new commands in its place, or even copy an existing command from the Library.

I have found this quite versatile and gives you total control of all your trains. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Roy

I beg to differ Mick. There is a way to make various changes in Driver mode.

Using Driver mode; and whether you use Schedule Library or not, you may have set up original driver commands designated to your particular driver and then mid-stream you may want to change those commands to 'go to another platform', terminal, etc.

Just 'drag' the command off and away from the schedule, and then it's a simple matter to add new commands in its place, or even copy an existing command from the Library.

I have found this quite versatile and gives you total control of all your trains. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Roy
I'm talking about AI control of the trains Roy. I've been doing Trainz for ten years and I know you can add commands on the fly, but you can't save those changes. But I appreciate the suggestion.
Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick

Schedule Library is a great way to create modular schedules for trains. My schedule libraries contain a lot of short schedules and also longer schedules made up from the short ones. Most of the longer schedules simply consist of a row of copy commands. The benefit of this is that the shorter schedules can be tested and debugged quicker than a long schedule so when you put them into a longer schedule you can be confident that they will work as intended.

In your example of the terminal station, I would have a main schedule for the bulk of the journey with a seperate schedule for each platform that the train may use. The correct platform can then just be tacked onto the end of the main schedule with one command.

While the initial setting up of the schedule library can take some time on a large route, the time savings made when adding trains later can be substantial.

Regards

Brian

MickBerg said:
''Is there a way to copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files''

Schedule library has this purpose.

''I find "Copy Commands from Driver" to be rather problematic. I have several trains who basically do exactly the same thing, (and will soon have many more) but with minor differences, so "Copy Commands from Driver" really doesn't work for me.
As an example I have a fairly long journey, which would justify using Schedule Library, but with one differencto copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files?e, viz. the train goes into a different platform at the terminal. So you can't use Copy/Paste Commands from Driver''

Possible solution is that you make a different schedules for trains by using 'copy' in Schedule library and then change the commands you need and rename schedule (e.g. P1, P2.........)Of course you must do this in surveyor (edit session), but if you make changes when you running session in driver mode then, after save session, new commands will be there. Another solution is that you make the schedule which finish before command Navigate to.. P1, and add new schedules for Navigate to P1, Navigate to P2.......

Last edited:
MickBerg said:
''Is there a way to copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files''

Schedule library has this purpose.

''I find "Copy Commands from Driver" to be rather problematic. I have several trains who basically do exactly the same thing, (and will soon have many more) but with minor differences, so "Copy Commands from Driver" really doesn't work for me.
As an example I have a fairly long journey, which would justify using Schedule Library, but with one differencto copy the command list from a driver into a file, and then use that file the same way as you use the regular Copy Commands files?e, viz. the train goes into a different platform at the terminal. So you can't use Copy/Paste Commands from Driver''

Possible solution is that you make a different schedules for trains by using 'copy' in Schedule library and then change the commands you need and rename schedule (e.g. P1, P2.........)Of course you must do this in surveyor (edit session), but if you make changes when you running session in driver mode then, after save session, new commands will be there. Another solution is that you make the schedule which finish before command Navigate to.. P1, and add new schedules for Navigate to P1, Navigate to P2.......

Yes that's what I do, but it gets so complicated that it seems to me that you might just as well do it manually.
Cheers
Mick

Back