New PC. how to move files

bmheron

HI all, I have TRS 12 and Tane on my old PC. Just bought a new one and no clue how to begin installing & transferring the games? I think way back I bought a hard copy disk of TRS12 and TANE was downloaded. Can I just reinstall? Then what about all the additional TRS 12 content I've purchased over the years. Is this going to be one big headache?

Congratulations on your new PC.

Make sure you have a backup of all your Trainz data to an external drive, or be able to plug your current drive(s) into your new machine.

You need to do this in steps.

1) Reinstall the programs as normal.
2) Put in the service packs and ensure everything is working at its base setup. Configure everything normally.

For T:ANE you install the default data location, which will change later on.

3) Data setup.

--- TS12... Install then copy your Userdata folder from the told setup to the new setup's Userdata folder. When it says to overwrite anything, choose skip all. This might take awhile so while it's copying, do something else...

When done, start up Content Manager and run a database repair. Dido again on "this might take awhile".

--- T:ANE install.

a) Setup normally...

b) Copy the data folder from where you installed or backed it up.

c) Place that into a new TANE_Userdata folder. This doesn't even need to be in the Users/username/appdata location. Mine is on my F: drive.

d) Once this is copied, how ever long that takes, start up T:ANE and go to settings on the Launcher.

e) Choose the Install tab. (You will see your default path in there).
Click on the ... and browse to your TANE_Userdata folder.

Some files will be copied...

f) You will get a message about needing to restart T:ANE and a database repair will run.

Your T:ANE data is now all connected.

g) Go back and go to settings and ensure your username and password and reenter your settings again because that was not copied over to your new location.

=====

Now your payware is something else. If you have just content from Jointed Rail, for example, your current data will contain it when you copy that to your new system. If there's anything you purchased from N3V, then it will be installed via the program upon launching T:ANE the first time when you start Trainz. TS12 will do the same for anything as well purchased from Simulator Central.

John

Last edited:
wow. ok thanks for all of those details! I should be able to follow all of that and will come back with any questions. Can't wait b/c I had to buy a laptop and anxious to share how it performs with both games.

wait already got some questions.

First on this part: 3) Data setup.

--- TS12... Install then copy your Userdata folder from the told setup to the new setup's Userdata folder. When it says to overwrite anything, choose skip all. This might take awhile so while it's copying, do something else...

Q: What should I choose, exactly, before choosing "skip all". ie - copy and replace, replace, or do nothing?

Next

When I go into my TANE / data folder there's not much in there. I havent purchased anything new for TANE so guessing thats why its pretty much empty?

Last edited:
If you have an external USB drive or access to one you could just try copying the folders for the 2 version to it an then copy them to your new system.
Trainz does not need to be installed it is movable, as it does not attach to the registry.

wait already got some questions.

First on this part: 3) Data setup.

Q: What should I choose, exactly, before choosing "skip all". ie - copy and replace, replace, or do nothing?

Next

When I go into my TANE / data folder there's not much in there. I havent purchased anything new for TANE so guessing thats why its pretty much empty?

When you've selected and chosen copy for your old Userdata folder and then pasted it into your new TS12 install, you'll get a message about skip, skip all, keep, etc. Just skip all since you'll already have the data here.

If you have an external USB drive or access to one you could just try copying the folders for the 2 version to it an then copy them to your new system.
Trainz does not need to be installed it is movable, as it does not attach to the registry.

True, but being a new machine it's better to do a fresh install in case there was some data corruption with the older install. In the past I have done it both ways and found with new machines a fresh install is better.

Might just add to the above comments that when transferring the data from the saved userdata file (found it best to use a portable extended hard drive).
When transferring data by CDP files method from the older copy of Content Manager might be advantageous to overwrite the newer kuids because they may of been custom modified by the user with the PEV tools.

Downloaded content

Congratulations on your new PC.

Make sure you have a backup of all your Trainz data to an external drive, or be able to plug your current drive(s) into your new machine.

You need to do this in steps.

1) Reinstall the programs as normal.
2) Put in the service packs and ensure everything is working at its base setup. Configure everything normally.

For T:ANE you install the default data location, which will change later on.

3) Data setup.

When done, start up Content Manager and run a database repair. Dido again on "this might take awhile".

--- T:ANE install.

a) Setup normally...

b) Copy the data folder from where you installed or backed it up.

c) Place that into a new TANE_Userdata folder. This doesn't even need to be in the Users/username/appdata location. Mine is on my F: drive.

d) Once this is copied, how ever long that takes, start up T:ANE and go to settings on the Launcher.

e) Choose the Install tab. (You will see your default path in there).
Click on the ... and browse to your TANE_Userdata folder.

Some files will be copied...

f) You will get a message about needing to restart T:ANE and a database repair will run.

Your T:ANE data is now all connected.

g) Go back and go to settings and ensure your username and password and reenter your settings again because that was not copied over to your new location.

=====

Now your payware is something else. If you have just content from Jointed Rail, for example, your current data will contain it when you copy that to your new system. If there's anything you purchased from N3V, then it will be installed via the program upon launching T:ANE the first time when you start Trainz. TS12 will do the same for anything as well purchased from Simulator Central.

John

May I ask, will all my files I have downloaded from the DLS and Content manager for Trainz Simulator 12 or do I have to convert all my downloaded content to CDP?

Back