Timber Ridge Line Redux

Tried both http://30ng.web.com and http://www.30ng.com, and when I clicked on 30ng.com, it takes me to, of all things, a website about baby milk powder! I tried www.30ng.com, and I got nothing. I tried adding .web to 30ng.com and ended up being taken to the Charter search engine (my family uses Charter Communications for Internet, E-Mail, TV and Phone) searching for '30ng.web.com'.

Try clicking on the link just below the screen shot above, that ought to get you there.

AH Hah! I must be having a senior day. The proper address is http://30ng.webs.com (note the 's') sorry about that.

Last edited:
With each link that didn't work the address bar in my browser showed the link. I simply inserted ".webs" in the appropriate spot and hit return and was able to download each file.

Nice stuff Norm. Thanks for the heads up. (As if I didn't already have more stuff than I have time for already. :hehe:)

Paul :)

Thanks for the links:

timber_ridge2.jpg

Harold

Speaking of the 30ng.webs.com I cannot download every single file, especially the mallets with Rio Grande Livery. Every time I click on them it brings me to a different site. Do you think there is a problem with the website or maybe its for sale? An explanation would be nice but take your time I'm in no rush.

Speaking of the 30ng.webs.com I cannot download every single file, especially the mallets with Rio Grande Livery. Every time I click on them it brings me to a different site. Do you think there is a problem with the website or maybe its for sale? An explanation would be nice but take your time I'm in no rush.
Used the method mentioned earlier and had no problem:

timber_ridge3.jpg

http://30ng.webs.com/DRGWL25.cdp

Use that format and they work.

Harold

Last edited:
Howdy Harold, may i inquire as to where you got that 30in track from that the mallets are sitting on?

Well, that being said... or rather asked I suppose. I believe I should show a little bit of what i have done. After I downloaded the TRL and sat some of trainboi's stock on the lines, I decided it needed a little sprucing up as well. So, I went through, atleast on the roads namesake town for now, and reset all the baseboards to 5m. This messed up all the textures, making the lines all blocky and misshapen. I went through a few and redid some of the textures and started updating some of the foliage... which is going to take a LONG time due to the fact all the trees are splines, not individual objects. Ill post updates as I go, but here are a few pictures I snapped while playing around.

Here we have Ol' 69 pulling into Timber Ridge with the afternoon passenger train while a heritage train, comprising of an old 4-4-0 american type and one coach, waits for the row to make its way down the line. Sitting on the adjacent track is a wrecking train waiting to break the engine off and be switched onto the holding track farther into town.
47c0cf63965b213f49d9a81bda88450b.png

This is 69 heading along one leg of the Wye out of town to points onwards.
ae4ccfb7eba628f172ecc825b8171d4c.png

Last edited:
nice shots, i'm busy making all the grades ( apart from the really steep ones that are already about 6% ) , stiffer.
the NG 30 site is excellent , i downloaded these years ago, none worked in TANE for me . but i downloaded them again and now , many of them at least appear in TANE, though there might be issue with them , theres a few kuids missing, so i'll have to chase around and see if they are still available or not.

Last edited:
Howdy Harold, may i inquire as to where you got that 30in track from that the mallets are sitting on?

That is regauged track from this site:

http://www.banbyggarna.se/stl/scenery/track/page1.html

<kuid:67375:103109> TANE SWE 891mm
<kuid:67375:103528> TANE SWE 891mm utan ballast

Clone the track and use these to replace the lines in the config.txt file:

track-gauge 0.76
check-gauge 0.72

attached-splines
{
rail_left
{
lateral-offset -0.38
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:67375:103113>
visual-only 1
}

rail_right
{
lateral-offset 0.38
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:67375:103114>
visual-only 1
}

sleepers
{
lateral-offset 0
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:67375:103115>
visual-only 1
}

chairs_left
{
lateral-offset -0.38
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:67375:103110>
visual-only 1
}
chairs_right
{
lateral-offset 0.38
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:67375:103111>
visual-only 1
}
}

The switches produce some hinky-ness:

timber_ridge4.jpg

The blades aren't quite right and the spikes go weird, I can live with that to have blades and frogs.

For a lighter track use the 600mm regauged:

timber_ridge1.jpg

Harold

Last edited:
I think you need to "Revert to Original" Dan.
i got most of them working but when using the drgw mallets on a run last night the session just ground to a halt after a while . could be specs in there thats sapping the system .
the 2-6-6-2 i really want to get working is number 31 , a ben neal classic, i can get the front set of drivers to work but the back set are frozen , tried changing engine specs but no luck.

i got most of them working but when using the drgw mallets on a run last night the session just ground to a halt after a while . could be specs in there thats sapping the system .
the 2-6-6-2 i really want to get working is number 31 , a ben neal classic, i can get the front set of drivers to work but the back set are frozen , tried changing engine specs but no luck.

Don't know what's up with the mallets but it sounds like you are using philskene's clone of Ben's #31. I've noticed the frozen drivers on it but Ben's original doesn't seem to have that problem although the AI can not drive it and it has to be run in CAB mode. I've found it hard to keep boiler pressure up but I was able to drive the original for quite awhile.

Don't know what's up with the mallets but it sounds like you are using philskene's clone of Ben's #31. I've noticed the frozen drivers on it but Ben's original doesn't seem to have that problem although the AI can not drive it and it has to be run in CAB mode. I've found it hard to keep boiler pressure up but I was able to drive the original for quite awhile.

i haven't visited the 2004 part of ben's site for a while , i'll download the 2-6-6-2 from there and see how it fares. the models are amazingly good given they go that far back, still stand up well against ones created now, i wish he'd update them all to TANE specs....

i haven't visited the 2004 part of ben's site for a while , i'll download the 2-6-6-2 from there and see how it fares. the models are amazingly good given they go that far back, still stand up well against ones created now, i wish he'd update them all to TANE specs....

I'm pretty sure he is working on them. Takes some time I imagine.

Hey normhart,

How did you get the 2-8-2 above to work in TANE? I have a problem with it along with the other 2-8-2s (except 385 and 386). The body texture can't be loaded. Maybe you can give me a few instructions if you please.

Hey normhart,

How did you get the 2-8-2 above to work in TANE? I have a problem with it along with the other 2-8-2s (except 385 and 386). The body texture can't be loaded. Maybe you can give me a few instructions if you please.

I am doing this from memory and can't be sure I cover everything.

1) Using AssetX repair the textures (it may not be necessary but I do it every time there is a texture error)

2) As I remember there is a problem with the "screen" texture. If you open the asset for editing in Explorer you will see "screen.tga" and "screen-screen_a.texture.txt". Opening the txt file in Notepad shows;

Primary=screen.tga
Alpha=screen-alpha.tga
Tile=st

But there is no "screen-alpha.tga". (this name may be slightly wrong, I don't remember clearly). On a hunch I changed the txt file to read;

Primary=screen.tga
Alpha=screen.tga
Tile=st

and saved it.

3) Commit the asset and that should fix it (I think). BTW you will note this error only happens in the Coal fired engines and not in the oil fired engines, same with the tenders this was the hint I needed to figure out what was happening.

The tender is a bit tricky as I remember. There were three texture errors, coal, water, and tendermk3.

When running AssetX to repair the textures it didn't solve the problem I needed to look more closely. It turns out that all three textures were present as were the texture.txt files.

But there was a tendermk3.texture.txt in the load folder and there was a coal.texture.txt and a water.texture.txt in the main 30in_mike_tender_body folder.

You need to delete the tendermk3.texture.txt from the load folder (Not from the main folder!!!) and delete the coal and water txt files from the main folder (Not from the load folder!!!)

That should fix both and you will need to do it for each engine and tender. If there are more problems post a screen shot of the error messages and I should be able to guide you through the fixes.

Norm, do you use prowlers locomotives often?

Yes I do but the above engine is a clone of one of bdaneal's locomotives repainted by klinger.

Fixing Prowler901's locomotives basically requires doing things like the above. Reading the error messages and addressing each one using PEVs tools or finding textures in other similar engines or many other fixes.

Last edited:
Back