Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a new train a coming

Blog Entries

Question There's a new train a coming

Well,well,well. How about this. TS2017 and TSW. Promo's look good. Wonder what Trainz is going to do now?

Definitely a beautiful looking sim. As long as they get the content creation tools done right, I will go over to that sim in a heartbeat lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alco_P-A View Post
    Well,well,well. How about this. TS2017 and TSW. Promo's look good. Wonder what Trainz is going to do now?
    They're probably going to continue developing their sim, since the very large Trainz fanbase is predominantly loyal and full of people who, despite the Sim's faults and their grievances with management, want to see it continue.

Whoop, a trailer looks nice, better throw in the towel

Blog Entries

The expression "talk the talk ... walk the walk" comes to mind.

Interesting that they have started TSW from scratch with no compatibility with anything that has gone before. A bold but potentially risky move. Lets them take all previous errors off the table but also removes all the good stuff too. Everyone will have to rebuild all of their asset collections again. Meanwhile their TS2017 will be running in parallel without any connection possible. Since TS12 and T:ANE can also run in parallel but with the added benefit that the best of TS12 can also be used in T:ANE, I think that's a plus for Trainz.

They also mentioned looking at several simulation engines. Most they said were only good for local simulation whereas a train simulator needs to create a complete world both near and far which is why they settled on the UE4. Being an off-the-shelf solution, I wonder how much they have or even can modify it for train specific simulation demands? With Trainz using their own E2, they have to risk all the development but with the advantage of also being able to customize it exactly as they needed.

Some of the images are quite spectacular but nothing that hasn't been seen before given a completely modern asset. A "DirectX 10 Compatible GPU with 2 GB Video RAM" doesn't appear to be too demanding. If that's all they need, hats off.

Since driving canned routes is only part of the fun, I'm also waiting to see how easy it will be to modify and create new routes, as well as making new assets. Will it be an open world welcoming all who want to add to it or a closed shop?

Will be watching this developing story to see how it pans out. Healthy competition is good and keeps everyone on their toes.

70337:
    T:ANE SP2 build 90945 and 90955 | Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by H222 View Post
    They're probably going to continue developing their sim, since the very large Trainz fanbase is predominantly loyal and full of people who, despite the Sim's faults and their grievances with management, want to see it continue.

Whoop, a trailer looks nice, better throw in the towel
    Define large.
    Last edited by Vinnie264; September 2nd, 2016 at 11:52 PM.

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

I'm definitely adding TSW to my collection, the CSX looks so great, and the details are awesome.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Their version of "Surveyor" sucks dog beans.
    Please buy my books to support me
    Author Search on Amazon.com. David E. Snow
    Please note; I DID NOT write the book "Mobius"

Yeah I agree with you Dave on that one. Their content system is nothing to be proud of either. Seriously makes me frustrated just to get a reskin to work, (Which I have not gotten to happen lol) Much of the reason I love trainz for the simplicity of stuff like this. UE4s editor is downright amazing. Hopefully they will implement a similar spline type system to trainz. Time will tell come february if this game is going to be good or not.

Tell me:
    Is the surveyor, actually building a route all that difficult to use ?
    Will the game require at least hundreds of dollars of payware locos and railcars ?

I once had a dog that had no nose ... How did he smell ? ... Awful !

It seems unclear whether TSW will be a railway simulator or follow in the tradition of their present product and just be a railway driving simulator.

They have in the past built pretty routes. I built one and enjoyed doing it. Then tried to run two trains on the same track, NO CAN DO. I came back to Trainz.
    Intel Core I5 3570K LGA 1155,EVGA GTX 970,16mg 8Gx2,WIN 10 Home

I have been with TS 2016 and previously Railworks for 5 years.

Purchased T:ANE on the 7th August this year.

Neither are perfect and no sim ever will be.

But what I am really enjoying with T:ANE is the drive to commands,
    the fact that I can change the weather while on route and the fact
    that I can Start or stop an AI at any time, plus one more thing
    that I like is being able to jump to any train anywhere on the route
    and start driving.

Dave.

United Kingdom, West Midlands, Gnosall Staffordshire

Not bothered, as long as it is a Steam only sim, I won't be using it.
    Malc

TSW looked awesome! I'm get'n that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie264 View Post
    Define large.
    Half a mil? Highest KUID I've seen is over 600,000.

Quote Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post
    It seems unclear whether TSW will be a railway simulator or follow in the tradition of their present product and just be a railway driving simulator.
    I believe the term was a dark, interactive scenery sim.