Hostthenpost problem

teddytoot

Ancient Trainzer
Is anybody else having problems viewing Hostthenpost images? For the past few days I just get the black square and neither Edge, IE or Chrome can access the site. Is there a problem with the site, e.g. is it down or is my ISP (BT) blocking it for malware reasons?

Is anybody else having problems viewing Hostthenpost images? For the past few days I just get the black square and neither Edge, IE or Chrome can access the site. Is there a problem with the site, e.g. is it down or is my ISP (BT) blocking it for malware reasons?

I had 'on and off' problems with 'Hostthenpost' many months ago, so I swapped over to the always available site https://postimage.org/
Never had any problems since.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

I'll have to give these alternatives a try at some point, though Host Then post is very easy and convenient to use.

I have had no issues accessing the website now. Perhaps they were down for maintenance.

I did go directly via the URL www.hostthenpost.org rather than just typing in the website name, maybe this could be the difference.

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I am not trying to post; I cannot see other people's or my own hostthenpost images on this forum. Going to the website give a "Hmm, we can’t reach this page." message which seems to be a standard BT page if it cannot connect.

Obviously there is no problem in the States. I have been in touch with my ISP (British Telecom) and they couldn't access the site either so it doesn't look if they are blocking it. Can somebody in the UK please let me know if they can view hostthenpost images on the forum and if they can, could they say who their ISP is, so I might get a clue as to where the problem may lie. It is most frustrating not to be able to see so many of the posted images.

Obviously there is no problem in the States. I have been in touch with my ISP (British Telecom) and they couldn't access the site either so it doesn't look if they are blocking it. Can somebody in the UK please let me know if they can view hostthenpost images on the forum and if they can, could they say who their ISP is, so I might get a clue as to where the problem may lie. It is most frustrating not to be able to see so many of the posted images.

No problem here John, using 3 Mobile Broadband.

Suggest changing DNS servers might help though? Often does here for sites that won't load.

I tried that, following instructions on a website (I don't really understand this stuff, having retired from computer lecturing in the primitive years 25years ago :( ) but with no luck. I'll have to leave it for now as I'm off to Wales to visit my son who may have the answer.

Open a Windows command prompt. (If you're not sure how to do that follow a guide like this.)

Then type:

Code:
ping hostthenpost.org

and press <Enter>

For me this domain resolves to IP 8.29.138.4. Do you get a response on the ping? And if so, what IP does it point to?

I tried that, following instructions on a website (I don't really understand this stuff, having retired from computer lecturing in the primitive years 25years ago :( ) but with no luck. I'll have to leave it for now as I'm off to Wales to visit my son who may have the answer.

Easy way to change DNS servers if you don't fancy messing with the PC or router is a little Program called DNSjumper, checks all the free DNS servers and you can pick the one with the best response time, it's malware free by the way.

I'm in Wales now and everything works ok on my son's computer. So it looks as if the problem is in my computer so I must look at the settings when I get home next week. Perhaps Microsoft don't like me switching off their "spying" settings :(.

It works for me as well so this is definitely a your machine thing. I don't have a lot of Microsoft spy stuff running either so I don't think that's the issue.

You might want to try a simple flushing of the DNS cache.

Close any open browsers
Open up a Command Prompt as Admin.
Type ipconfig/flush DNS
Press Enter

Try Host Then Post again.

They're back! All I've done is go to Wales for a week to visit my son. Coming back and switching on they are visible without me doing anything. The only reason I can think of is that I switched off my router (BT Hub5) while I was away; normally it remains on permanently. Anyway thanks for the suggestions; I will keep them in case I need them later.

Conclusion:
You either need to go to Wales more often or visit your son more often.
:p

98e788118dfbf3f96932d4895930c1330a48a8f371e9d19dc74f22d5899e4ad9.jpg

Last edited:
Back