Ulster; Saddest place for railways

rjhowie

In Scotland we have as i indicated elsewhere have had rail re-openings and there are other places in the UK wanting much of the same and I would say that thr worst place over the post-war rail history sadness has been northern Ireland.

At the time of Nationalisation in England, Scotland and Wales in 1948 the then full parliament in Belfast savaged rail with a wide vengeance. There has always been a stance that when the Ulster Transport Authority was set up back then it was heavily bus orientated by it's management and within months wholesale closures started with a vengeance. From well into the plus 800 miles it now is not much over 200 and one lie 18 miles long is mothballed but being kept for a hopeful future return -maybe. The UTA is long gone but some anti-rail things still hang around and not so long ago there was mooting of an even further savageness. However the public reaction was good and fought the nonsense. It is not long since yet another attempt was made to savage what remains but the public thought differently. The present day NI Railway has done well about improving things and passenger numbers increased. If you take a County like Down all the lines gone except the Belfast-Bangor around 12 miles or so and that is typical in principle. In the west of the Province - all gone.

And in even another move in 2014 some 10,000 people signed a petition for getting the line from Portadown to Armagh brought back. The Minister responsible said although showing interest that the biggest problem was the funding aspect. So we have Armagh as the only city in the UK without a railway. For years as a boy our family holidayed over there and then I did so myself and for years took boys camps to places but I always felt it was the worse home nation for railway destruction. When we stayed in a lovely centre in Castlerock only a minute from the station I always encouraged the boys to use the NIR into Coleraine not Ulsterbus and the Portrush holiday resort! When we took them to Londonderry of course it was by train again!

Nice people and great for a holiday but in the rail world badly done in!

When I was young I used to walk to work, eventually ride a bicycle and eventually buy a car when I could afford it which was until my mid twenties I grew up in a poor family. Taking the bus well it depended on which day of the week you took the bus how long you had to wait for the bus which was doubly long on the weekends ask for Trains? well unless you were leaving my area to go to another state on a long-distance train you didn't take a train because we didn't have trains for short-haul distance around where I live we only had Amtrak and Amtrak was too expensive for me at that time prior to that they told us buses would be great and they got rid of a lot of things,,, old Rail lines,,, red car, white car lines etc.... about 350 miles worth we now pay over a million dollars a mile, for the new Light Rail lines, subways etc, by bond or special taxes,,,, in which have to be dug out underground in some areas through the city because the cities have grown since the forties... They made a promise the buses would be great for transportatio, couldn't be further from the truth we pay for it unbelievably expensive now so I hope you get your train someday..... I do feel your pain

It's funny how the county government of Ulster County in upstate New York is also anti-rail. You may have heard of the Catskill Mountain Railroad closing, although they were able to keep a short, 4.5-6 mile line. (I'm not sure exactly how long it is.) There's also the Ulster & Delaware Railroad, or Delaware & Ulster Railroad. (I think the U&D is historical and the D&U is the present one.) They are faring a bit better than the CMRR but now they will be without interchange forever, unless the trail plans are stopped and the CMRR is fully rebuilt.

Actually I was talking about the real Ulster on the Emerald Isle! :)

Aye! The N'or'n Ireland of my youth with it's unique 5 feet 2 in track gauge - many a happy time spent in a former BR Mk1 carriage with the two DEMU "thumper" units "River Lagan" or "River Bann" burbling along front and rear. Because of the long skirt around Lough Neagh, the 40 mile journey from Belfast to Londonderry took over two hours to complete with a lengthy stop at Coleraine for the university students to make the Portrush connection! Happy days!
16675cd7163fd0a6ff3ef5937f96eb89

Hi sterrett.

I looked at you reply and gave a wee puzzled look about that delay you mentioned. You said the "40 mile route from belfast to Londonderry" (!) My understanding that is over 90 miles. It took me ages to build on trainz and i have all the NIR Lines done including the presently mothballed Crumlin Line. The reason it isn't on the DLS yet is that went on across he Border and laid tracks all the way to Dublin (scenery is done from Dublin as far as Drogheda) and I have also done the Howth branch. In hindsight should have maybe kept to my original intention of getting the modern NIR on trainz but now that scenery gap betwixt the Newry and Boyne has to be done!

Have many pleasant memories of the Province as a child, holidays of my own and taking boys camps to Castlerock, Donaghadee and near Millisle. My original intention was just the NIR but then a second version adding closed routes but the IR is part of it now. So when all that extr is done we will have the whole of the present day NIR on Trainz! Meanwhile amazing how you broguht the 2 cities so close so well done! :hehe:

ps My acknowledgement to PFX for his modern NIR trains
www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

Bobby

Back