Video Issue

Mick_Berg

Hi.
I have an interesting issue. I just got a 27"AOC monitor. I share it between two computers using a KVM switch. One computer runs a digital organ, it has windows XP, on board graphics. It runs the monitor fine at 1920 x 1080, crisp and clear, and had no issues with installation.
The other computer runs TANE. It has a AMD 720 GPU. It wouldn't offer a resolution higher than 1600 x 1200. I had to install the AOC driver. Then it gave me 1920 x 1080. But it's a bit fuzzy, not as clear as the much less powerful XP computer. What's going on?
Thanks,
Mick

Mick,

Just for kicks try plugging the monitor directly to the T:ANE computer. The issue maybe related to noise on the KVM switch, or the hardware signal drivers (versus software device drivers) not being able to handle the resolution.

John

Mick,

Just for kicks try plugging the monitor directly to the T:ANE computer. The issue maybe related to noise on the KVM switch, or the hardware signal drivers (versus software device drivers) not being able to handle the resolution.

John

I'll try that as a troubleshooting procedure but the XP computer also goes through the KVM switch.
Thanks,
Mick

I have another issue here. The Trainz computer sometimes messes up completely regarding screen resolution. It will come up at any old resolution and then requires that I disconnect the KVM switch and start the computer with a direct connection to the monitor. Then its ok and comes up at 1980x1020. Since its an electronic KVM I have no way to detect which way it is set. Any ideas?

BTW I really dislike the Catalyst software, lots of fru-fru and not much practicality. The good old XP computer with onboard graphics and XP drivers works perfectly and comes up correct every time. I wonder if the Trainz computer would work better with a generic driver?

Thanks,
Mick

Back