Why is there no Steam Workshop support?

GTAce

I choo choo chooose youu!
Hey guys, looong time no see here, but I recently started again with Trainz 2012 and enjoy it a lot. The way you can build your own little worlds is simply amazing and still unmatched. There's just something seriously bugging me and which would make Trainz' value explode. Why is there no Steam Workshop support, for free content? The Download Station system is archaic, slow and annoying. I understand that it's a way of monetisation, which is okay and nothing I judge, but I also don't agree with paying Auran money for proper access to user created, free content. I don't mind that there's premium content, which needs special access via a ticket, but the download speed and access to freeware content from the community shouldn't be capped. I really wanted to buy A New Era, but not if I'm still bound to the DLS and downloadspeeds from 1998. The Steam Workshop would take off load from the Auran servers, provide automatic updates, community ratings, discussions and previews, via screenshots and videos. Everything would be streamlined and the whole epxerience brought to a new level, without taking away the option to release paid DLC.

Personally, I prefer the Download Station method as Trainz isn't just on Steam.

Shane

Why not both? I mean the DLS is there now anyway, giving users the option to upload their stuff to Steam's Workshop wouldn't break the DLS.
There are other games which offer traditional modding next to the Workshop without problems.

True, although there is one potential problem and that's keeping the two synchronised. There is a lot of content on the Download Station and having some content only on Steam Workshop could pose a problem for non-Steam versions.

Shane

Because those of us who don't have or want the Steam Crap on our PC's would not be able to download anything, you can play games without contributing to Valves attempt at monopolising game distribution.

Because those of us who don't have or want the Steam Crap on our PC's would not be able to download anything, you can play games without contributing to Valves attempt at monopolising game distribution.

So you rather pay money for a limited, outdated system, instead of having a free solution which works better, has more options, draws more users and would open up Trainz to a bigger audience?

I personally don't think it will make much difference apart from extra work being needed for what is effectively only part of N3V's market.

Shane

So you rather pay money for a limited, outdated system, instead of having a free solution which works better, has more options, draws more users and would open up Trainz to a bigger audience?
FCT for a year currently costs 0.095 AUD a day hardly extortionate is it?, however it costs me virtually nothing as I bought a lifetime one years ago when they were available which has more than paid for itself.
The DLS checks stuff is made properly, Steam can't.
Steam is totally insecure with thousands of accounts hacked, http://www.gamespot.com/articles/77000-steam-accounts-hacked-every-month-new-securi/1100-6433003/ doesn't happen with the DLS.

I don't pay a penny for downloads off the dls, it's totally free & I can download any asset that is on there.
The speed is ok for me, I'm not in a rush, got the rest of my life to use Trainz.

Not to mention N3V invested in the DLS many years before the Steam Workshop was even a thing. The DLS also allows anyone who doesn't use Steam to access the content, with the DLS anyone can download anything on it for their version; with the Workshop, only the few people who bought the Steam versions have access to said stuff. Not to mention that the Workshop has one of the worst CMS system interfaces.

peter

Steam Workshop for TS20xx is somewhat limited. If you're building a route, you can only reference items in core product or currently available DLC. Likewise an activity or scenario can only use traction and rolling stock that can be officially obtained off Steam. So as far as route builders are concerned, you can't even have a custom blueprint for your route or any unique station name-boards. I can see where the OP is coming from but IMHO it would be even less use for Trainz than it is for TS2016.

I don't think this is better, I don't think doodly about their options, there are MMRPG users yea; these are firmly enmeshed in their MMRPG dungeons. And, what's more, I don't enjoy their 3kb per sec download speed. I threw steam away and did not reinstall on my new computer. :eek:

Currently we have the DLS but also there are many other sites that host content, jatws.org, trainzproroutes etc. I suspect in order to upload to Steam I'd need a Steam account, I think I can do without thank you.

Cheerio John

I very rarely buy computer games but I do occasionally browse through the selection at the various computer game retailers. If I see a title that has "Steam Account Required" somewhere on the DVD case I quickly put it back.

Trainz doesn't necessarily need steam support, that's the niche of the product at work however.

I'm a huge fan of the convenience of steam and have no interest in physical media.

Trainz doesn't necessarily need steam support, that's the niche of the product at work however.

I'm a huge fan of the convenience of steam and have no interest in physical media.
Until the day your computer goes pop, you buy a new machine, then find you can't remember all your loggin & passwords. :hehe:

Until the day your computer goes pop, you buy a new machine, then find you can't remember all your loggin & passwords. :hehe:

I'm not particularly worried since account recovery is a doddle, not that I'll be forgetting said details any time soon :hehe:

Back