N gauge thoughts?

johnwhelan

It's been sitting in the cupboard for ten years now, a mixture of UK items and North American items. I grew tired of dust problems but they still have some visual appeal. I'd wondered about some sort of glass box to put a short layout in but I'm unsure. The North American items I brought to have something that ran.

To be honest I've a wider range of items in Trainz these days.

Any one any inspired thoughts on what to do with it?

Thanks John

Last edited:
You could make a narrow, switching, shelf layout ... and put a plexiglass lid (or luaun plywood, or painters dropcloth), that is either removable, or hinges up out of the way when running ... even a 4x8 layout could have a removable cover.

I have 2 Con-Cor PRR Brunswick green U50C's (even though the PRR never had any), and 3 Riverosi GG1's (Brunswick, Tuscan, and Amtrak)

I always cleaned my track with a BrightBoy track abrasive eraser, vacuumed it with a yak hair shop vac attachment, using an old toothbrush to dislodge debis, followed up by wiping the rails down with rubbing alcohol on a small patch 2" x 2" square of old bed sheet ... track was always dirty, greasy, or corroded, even though I meticulously cleaned my loco's and railcar wheels.

Last edited:
In N scale you could build a small but highly detailed layout for display and running purposes on a 4 by 8 ft sheet of plywood. Once done hinge it so it can be folded up against a wall (out of the way) when not in use.

As for displaying them - look in one of the model RR magazines - there are companies that make Plexiglas display cases that mount on the wall. Come in different scales and lengths.

Ben

Other than computers and Trainz my other hobby is cabinet making. Some years ago I build a TV cabinet to house a N Gauge layout for a friend of a friend. The cabinet, a corner unit was made from piranha pine, polished with double doors. Inside was four removable trays which clipped together using magnetic dowels on which the guy build his layout. I've since seen similar in a tool chest and a wheelie suitcase. Peter

There seems to be a local N gauge club around that is having a meeting at the weekend so I've decided to just give them the North American stuff. The UK stuff is more difficult to give away, two dozen coaches, two dozen wagons and a few steam locos, it would cost an arm and a leg to post them back to the UK. Anyone in North America interested?

Thanks John

Sending things in an @ 12"x12"x15" record storage box, up to @ 20lbs, in the US, via "Book Rate" costs @ $7.50 USD, takes 5-7 days

For the UK stuff where most of the interest is, small packet to the UK is $25 for 2 kilos surface takes three months or $50 airmail. Ordinary parcel costs $50 for 2 kilos and around a $100 airmail. Tbere is about 3 kilos to ship, as you say shipping to North America is cheaper. The same coaches new these days cost roughly $50 each in the UK, these have been used about a half dozen times. One loco has been used a few times but the rest maybe once or twice to try them out.

Cheerio John

Probably quite a few people on your side of the pond John that have a UK background who would snap em up. Maybe someone at the model club could use them anyway?

Probably quite a few people on your side of the pond John that have a UK background who would snap em up. Maybe someone at the model club could use them anyway?

We'll wait and see but on the other hand one of the neighbours is planning to flip the pond later in the year so perhaps there would be room in a suitcase and the postage is less in the UK.

Cheerio John

Back