Laptop musing

rjhowie

My main Trainx activity is on Windows although I have a Apple Mac 11 for when on holiday travel. On swanning around on laptops with Windows and on the light side I was equally curious as to whether TRS12 would work ont he DellXPS13. Can guess it would not be as full as proper gaming laptops but any thoughts??

My main Trainx activity is on Windows although I have a Apple Mac 11 for when on holiday travel. On swanning around on laptops with Windows and on the light side I was equally curious as to whether TRS12 would work ont he DellXPS13. Can guess it would not be as full as proper gaming laptops but any thoughts??

TS12 is decent-running on my Acer Aspire V51 on Windows 10. I'm not familiar with the XPS 13, but it should run okay. Can you post the specs?

Matt

don't expect a lot of details and great performance in the graphics, all the models of XPS 13 seem to have this one common denominator:
"Intel® HD Graphics 520"

Being as TS2012 runs reasonably well on my ancient Toshiba C850 with its AMD E1, 1.2G CPU and share its 4GB RAM with graphics I think it would likely run very well however as there are many model of the Dell XPS13 and guess some would run a lot better than others. Peter.

My laptop, which is not my main system, has the following specs:

Asus X555LD-XX057H Laptop, Intel Dual-Core i5-4210U 1.7GHz, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" LED, DVD-DL, NVIDIA Geforce 820, Webcam, Windows 8.1 (upgraded to Win 10) 64bit

It runs TANE perfectly well for small, but detailed, routes which is what I like to create. I see no reason why it won't run TS12 !

Best bit was that it only cost me £399 (delivered), worst bit ? It's not exactly light !

Chris M

don't expect a lot of details and great performance in the graphics, all the models of XPS 13 seem to have this one common denominator:
"Intel® HD Graphics 520"

I looked at the link provided by OP. All of those (except for the cheapest) have Intel Iris graphics. I'm not sure what that is, but surely it's better than Intel HD graphics.

I think the highest spec model, which comes up to £1,599, would end up being the only one of those capable of running T:ANE, but that's still very questionable.
My-2-Cents-Worth.jpg

Last edited:
Light probably catches my attention a bit more itareus if on the move! The Gigabyte is 1.7 kilos (I prefer Imperial weights!) and meant to check the weight of the Dell 13". A neat size although unlike the Gigabyte it is not dedicated. The 11" Mac I have is very light with 5000 and 500GB and does run TRS12 so the lightness of the Dell is interesting.

I looked at the link provided by OP. All of those (except for the cheapest) have Intel Iris graphics. I'm not sure what that is, but surely it's better than Intel HD graphics.

I think the highest spec model, which comes up to £1,599, would end up being the only one of those capable of running T:ANE, but that's still very questionable.
My-2-Cents-Worth.jpg
For the price of the highest model, you can get a better real gaming laptop with a dedicated GPU, lots of RAM, SSD, and the i7...

You probably have a constructive point there. When away from home would be good to take along routes I am building for a bit of enjoyment and a dedicated graphics direction more sensible hence my musing over the Gigabyte 14".

...Light probably catches my attention a bit more...

Well I think the blurb on mine said it was 2.3 kilo (about 5lbs). By the time it's in a laptop bag with all the associated bits it feels heavy (but bear in mind I'm old & feeble :) ).

If the main purpose of the laptop is to be able to 'play trainz' when away (accepting some limitations) or to continue to develop routes when away then a sub £500 machine may well do the job. Otherwise I would recommend you go the whole hog and get a top of the range gaming laptop - and that will be HEAVY :) !

Chris M

Back