Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

@ borderreiver: Are the teak clerestory coaches from Paulz Trainz? They don't look too bad in your screenshots.

Rob.

Hi Robd, the loco and coaches are from Paul. I have recently had him build me some 1908 elliptical roof coaches, mostly 49 ft bogies. I want some more, so I will be getting him to build enough 52ft 1909/1916 bogie coaches to make up some sets as running in NE Area on services such as Newcastle - Carlisle.

Default NER 1922 Set Roster Number 20

North East England during the steam era. I am depicting a Tuesday in 1922, the last year of the NER's existence and spotlighting carriage roster number 20. My previous screenshots were of roster 19, and the following day that set would work north from York, departing at 7:05 a.m. as roster 20, taking it back to Newcastle and Heaton Carriage Sidings. It would also take back the Lavatory Composite added the previous morning at Newcastle when working to Edinburgh on roster 19. On Mondays Only, running as required, roster 20 would work onwards from Newcastle to Edinburgh, departing Newcastle at 11:08 a.m. After Edinburgh it would go to Niddire West on the Edinburgh suburban lines and then work back direct to Heaton Carriage Sidings, which leaves me with the impression that this southbound working was an empty stock one, possibly balancing out stock moves that had built up a number of coaches at Edinburgh.

In the first screenshot we are north of Aycliffe, where the electrified Shildon - Newport branch crossed the ECML. A NER Worsdell R Class 4-4-0 (LNER D20) number 2013 with an extra long superheating smokebox in Saxony Green hauls the set forming roster 20. Departed York 7:05 a.m., stopped at Aycliffe at 9:13 a.m. and will arrive Newcastle at 10:20 a.m. Stopping at wayside stations between York and Durham, it ran non-stop between Durham and Newcastle. Behind the train a Raven Electric 0-4+4-0 loco (what is now known as Bo-Bo) later designated as EF1 Class in 1945 hauls a 1,400 Ton coal train made up of seventy NER 20 Ton Coal Hoppers. The class was designed to haul 1,400 Ton trains at 25 mph on level track.

In the second screenshot the R Class passes under the bridge south of Plawsworth station between Durham and Chester le Street. The coaches are in lined Crimson Lake livery. The extra long smokebox fitted to No. 2013 originally contained a Sisterton superheater header when the smokebox was fitted to No. 1235 in 1907. The superheater and smokebox were removed from No. 1235 in 1909. By 1912 Raven had convinced the board on the advantages of superheating and in the R Class No. 2013 was the first to receive a Schmidt superheater, with Raven re-using No. 1235's old Sisterton smokebox. It retained this distinguishing feature until 1930.

Last edited by borderreiver; January 11th, 2017 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    Hi Robd, the loco and coaches are from Paul.
    Thanks for the info, your screenies look good.

Rob.

Just some advice for taking screenshots of a train moving at a fast speed:
    I would recommend pausing the game when taking screenshots so you can ensure that the front of the train isn't cut off.
    Other than that, nice screenshots.
    Rest In Peace, Southern Pacific.
    Founded 1865
    Merged into UP 1996
    Last Unit Renumbered 6-28-2016

changed those two screenshots for ones not cutting off the front of the loco.

Default N.E.R. Electric Freight locomotive

North East England during the steam era. Here "a cuckoo in the nest" is depicted post-WWI in the form of an N.E.R. Raven 0-4+4-0 (later known as a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement) Electric Freight locomotive, number 5. It is hauling a 1,400 Ton 70 wagon coal train of N.E.R. wooden bodied 20 Ton coal hoppers on the electrified Shildon to Newport line near Aycliffe in County Durham.

In the first screenshot, No.5 crosses the ECML near Aycliffe, bound for Newport.

Even in the early 20th century changes were under way and there were glimpses of the future. Tyneside electrification on third rail had taken place around 1904 to combat tram competition but just before WWI the new N.E.R. CME Vincent Raven convinced the board that DC overhead electrification was the future of rail transport. Raven hoped that the N.E.R. would electrify the York to Newcastle stretch of the East Coast main line but accepted the board's decison that heavy coal export traffic between Shildon in west Durham and Newport on the River Tees justified electrifying the line as proof of concept. Unfortunately WWI intervened and while the electrification of the Shildon - Newport line went ahead, along with Raven designing and building ten electric freight locomotives, electrifying the East Coast main line was not to happen until more than 70 years after the end of WWI.

The war and the curtailing of coal exports out of the east coast ports meant that traffic on the line plummeted. Post-WWI the export traffic never recovered to pre-war levels and dropped still further after the crash of 1929. By the early 1930s coal traffic was adequately covered by two electric locomotives, meaning eight routinely stayed in shed out of traffic. The line required overhead equipment renewal in the mid-1930s and the LNER declined to spend the capital on the work, de-electrifying the line. One loco was rebuilt in 1942 as a banker (EB1) for the Manchester - Sheffield electrification. In 1945 the other nine were classed as EF1. Post-WWII the EB1 loco was sent to the GE Section to work as a shunter at Ilford carriage sheds, where it worked until 1960 when the GE lines switched to AC electrification. It was scrapped in 1964. The EF1 locos were scrapped in 1951 after 16 years out of service.

The second screenshot shows No. 5 as it approaches the bridges near Aycliffe in County Durham.

I see you got the EF1 too.

Hi HH

I have a short stretch of line where the Shildon - Newport crosses the East Coast Main Line and it is good to have something passing overhead. The NER wooden bodied hoppers are the natural partner for the loco. Up to 70 of them in 11, 12, 15 or 20 ton variant were put behind the loco for the trip to Newport yard.

Default The Demands of Heavy Industry

North East England during the steam era. Depicting 1959 in County Durham, heavy industry operates 24 hours a day and has a voracious appetite for raw materials. Here, number 64860 of Gateshead shed (52A) one of Gresley's J39 0-6-0s hauls an evening Class H freight from Low Fell Yard to Newport Yard on the up East Coast main line at Chester le Street. The train has scrap metal, crushed stone and loco coal from the Northumberland coal field. County Durham's coalfield produced coal suited for coking and gas production, while Northumberland coal suited furnaces and raising steam. The locomotive has only three years of service life remaining in 1959, being withdrawn in December 1962.

Default The Demands of Industry

North East England in the steam era. Here I am depicting 1956 with the railways nationalised as British Railways. A BR ex-War Department 2-8-0 No. 90056 of 51A Darlington shed takes a train of empty bogie bolster wagons as a Class H unfitted freight train past darlington station on its way to Consett Low Yard. The train originated at York Dringhouses Yard late the previous evening and Darlington's "Flying Bedstead" has taken over haulage from the York engine which came off at Croft Junction Yard just to the south of Darlington station. Once at Consett the 2-8-0 will exchange the empty rake for the day's loaded train of bogie bolsters bound for York Dringhouses Yard. The 2-8-0's crew will finish their rostered turn once they have dropped off the train at Croft Junction Yard.

The loco model is the work of the late Andi06.

Last edited by borderreiver; January 14th, 2017 at 06:42 PM.

Default The Demands of Heavy Industry

North East England in the steam era. Darlington's ex-WD 2-8-0 is a little further north as it passes Darlington's power station.

Default A View From a Cab

North East England during the steam era. the view from the cab as BR ex-WD 2-8-0 No.90056 of 51A Darlington shed approaches NER Milepost 48 between Darlington and Aycliffe in County Durham. The NER mileage is counted from the datum point at York.

I seek to find any rolling stock pre WW1 and WW2 for NE and LNER.
    Where did you obtain the rolling stock depicted in these images
    JackDownUnder

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Penn Run

Most from Paulz Trainz Jack, email me at paulztrainzusa (at) gmail.com. Most items not on website as my wife looked after website, she passed 7 months ago, so a lot of catching up to do on that front.
    Last edited by barn700; January 15th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
    http://www.paulztrainz.com

Paul of Paulz Trainz (est 2004)