North East England - Steam Days Screenshots - Large Screenshots Possible

Thompson L1 at Eryholme Junction

Northeast England in the steam era on T:ANE. Postwar Thompson L1 2-6-4T in LNER Apple Green at a depiction of Eryholme Junction on the Richmond branch train from Darlington. The presence of Catterick Garrison near Richmond generated substantial traffic. The garrison had its own branch. Eryholme's main line platforms went out of use as early as 1911, meaning branch passengers had to change in to and out of long distance main line trains at Darlington. I believe that in BR days there were weekend leave specials that ran further afield, though I am not clear whether they reversed direction after drawing forward to the north of the junction or if a loco waited on the main line at Eryholme to take charge of the special once it came off the branch. Neither option must have been palatable to the line controller! The NER/LNER preferred a policy of everything getting out of the way of main line express passenger trains and the ECML at Eryholme itself is only two tracks. The L1 is skipper1945's new model. This is on the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in route Kings Cross to Newcastle which I have relaid to represent the steam era. I retained a section in N. Yorks as far down as Cowton. Perhaps one day I will take on a section of the T:ANE built in from York to Edinburgh to be able to run the whole of the section the N.E.R. operated. They forced the N.B.R. to accept N.E.R. loco haulage between Berwick and Edinburgh. This would be a huge relaying exercise and I am somewhat ambivalent about doing it.

July 2017 - photobucket link switched to imgur.

Last edited:
Cowton, North Yorkshire in post-war late LNER days

Northeast England during the steam era. Cowton in North Yorkshire is a wayside station on the East Coast Main Line. This twin track section is just south of Cowton loops, which would often be packed with freight trains waiting for a path between express services.

A southbound Up freight is in the hands of an ex-WD 2-8-0 austerity, which became the mainstay of post-war slow freight haulage between York and the Tyne. They rode roughly at anything over 40mph and I believe that one of the more repeatable nicknames was "flying bedstead".

A northbound Down parcels is in the hands of number 1438, a grimy B16 4-6-0, though this example is one of Thompson's rebuilds of the original Raven 3-cylinder NER loco and designated B16 Part 2. Using the B1 boiler it was a relatively cheap upgrade to some of the veteran 4-6-0s, which (unlike some Thompson's work) retained 3 cylinders. I wonder if that had anything to do with Thompson being Vincent Raven's son-in-law? It may seem strange to rebuild some of the B16s at a time when the works were starting to turn out B1s but steel was in short supply with pressures on traffic enormous and those on finances hardly any less.

This is a section of the TS12 built-in route from Kings Cross to Newcastle, relaid to the steam era and a work in progress. In the foreground is an old cast-iron N.E.R. quarter-mile post, produced by Barn700. Cowton is 37 1/4 miles from York.

July 2017 - photobucket links switched to imgur.

Last edited:
Daily train of steel plate for York Dringhouses at Consett Low Yard

Northeast England during the steam era. A representation of Consett Low Yard circa 1950. The yard is the main exchange point for traffic between British Railways and Consett Iron Company. An Austerity 2-8-0 is ready to depart with the daily train of steel plate for York Dringhouses yard. A Q6 0-6-0 stands by Consett engine shed while a T1 4-8-0T pauses between shunting duties. A long boilered CIC "A" Class 0-6-0PT stands in the company sidings. The long boilered design dates back to the mid-19th century, though examples were built up until the 1940s. The earlier examples were saddle tanks while the later builds were pannier tanks. The company also used them at their Derwenthaugh coke works and on their colliery lines. An example has survived in to preservation on North Tyneside. This is on my personal NW Durham route.

July 2017 - photobucket link switched to imgur.

Last edited:
Great to see this beautifully different thread posting again. :D

Btw, are all your 'Back to the past' ECML routes private? I could probably realize why you can't upload them, but if you could that would be great to do take trains down the ECML in another era :D

Thanks Amigacooke and SuperSpeedMaglev. I certainly can't upload the "County Durham" route to the DLS as it is extracted from the TS12 built-in Kings Cross - Newcastle and is fundamentally N3V's route. I have changed all the trackwork end to end and the stations at Darlington and Newcastle are significantly tweaked, but the scenery, contours and textures are almost all "out of the box" N3V. My own "NW Durham" route is, to me, just not good enough to go out to "the wild" of the DLS. It is largely complete track-wise but there remains a lot of scenery to place. I started the Transdem version around six years ago and TANE has also been a real shock to it. I have found that there is a lot of remedial work to do on it in TANE. To me a lot of it now looks like a "cartoon", with almost neon landscape textures and "brilliant"/"radiant" buildings that seem to be shining as if in a tropical high noon level of sunlight. I am trying out different grass textures and changing some buildings to see if more realistic results are produced.

I certainly can't upload the "County Durham" route to the DLS as it is extracted from the TS12 built-in Kings Cross - Newcastle and is fundamentally N3V's route.

I get it, copyright issues would ensure if you uploaded it right(Much like the MSTS Midland Spinner and LMS Turbomotive converted to Trainz)?

Oh well... nobody said we can't make our own, or even make our own fictitious number. ;)

Between Reedsmouth Junction and Bellingham

Northeast England during the steam era. Rural Northumberland on the ex-North British Railway Border Counties Line between Border Counties Junction on the Newcastle to Carlisle line and Riccarton Junction on the Waverley line. In early BR days Thompson's large 2-6-4 tank engines haul passenger trains between Reedsmouth Junction and Bellingham. Reedsmouth Junction engine shed can be made out in the distance. Bellingham, though small, was the largest settlement on the line. Unlike many rural stations Bellingham's was actually in the town. Today in 2016 a pair of coaches are on a short section of track at the station and a cafe operates in one of them. If you are on the A68 road and in no pressing hurry, consider making the diversion for a coffee. The small museum in the station yard also has a display about the BCR and Bellingham. This is my route Reedsmouth Junction. It is inspired by an article in Railway Modeller and the scenery is not an accurate representaion of the prototype. I have built it to operate the station rather than to replicate the neighbourhood. There is some scenery to place but this is a sparsely populated area.

Last edited:
1930s Border Counties Pickup Goods

Northeast England during the steam era. The ex-NBR Border Counties line in rural Northumberland. A Worsdell J25 0-6-0 is on the daily pickup goods duty between Riccarton Junction and Hexham. Crossing the River Rede to the northwest of Reedsmouth Junction. During the pre-war LNER period ex-NBR locos were the usual motive power on the line. An ex-NBR D31 was a long-term allocation to Blaydon shed for the passenger service, while ex-NBR 0-6-0s were at Reedsmouth shed. However, there are no ex-NBR 4-4-0 or 0-6-0 locos on the DLS, nor do any seem to be around as payware.

This route is my personal one called Reedsmouth Junction.

[url=http://imgur.com/SlSKEGM]

[/URL]

Last edited:
LNER Class A7 on Passenger Train Trials 1937

Northeast England during the steam era. In early 1937 Gresley had one of the large ex-NER pacific mineral tanks of class A7 fitted with vacuum ejector and steam heating before being allocated to Gateshead shed. From there Number 1179 was rostered on to passenger service on the Blackhill branch. Speed was not a priority on the branch due to a typical rising gradient of 1 in 63, but there were hopes that the powerful tank engines would be an economical solution for branch operations in NW Durham. It was not a success and the engine was transferred to Hull by the outbreak of WWII, with the vacuum ejector being removed in 1943.

The NER and its successor the LNER tried several times to find a solution to a requirement for large passenger tank engines in the North East. Wilson Worsdell produced his W Class 4-6-0T, which Vincent Raven rebuilt as 4-6-2T (LNER A6) during WWI, but did not add to the class of ten locos, preferring to build his 3-cylinder 4-4-4T D Class (LNER H1). In 1925 Gresley preferred to build a modified form of the ex-GCR A5 class to meet the area's continuing need for the large passenger tanks and thirteen were turned out by contractors. By 1931 he changed direction, deciding to rebuild the H1 4-4-4Ts to A8 4-6-2T even as he was turning out his Class V1 2-6-2T. Thompson would take the LNER passenger tank to its ultimate form with his large L1 2-6-4T and a familar patch of theirs in the North East was on the Richmond branch trains from Darlington.

This is Swalwell on my NW Durham route with A7 Number 1179 on branch passenger trains. The station had staggered platforms. Consett Iron Company's Derwenthaugh Coke Works is in the distance down in the Derwent valley.

July 2017 - Photobucket links switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
British Railways power on a cloudy morning

Northeast England during the steam era. Depicting the early 1960s on the south banks of the River Tyne west of Blaydon on the Newcastle to Carlisle line, here is Stella South, the coal fired power station which has a voracious appetite for coal. The coal trains run from across the County Durham and South Northumberland coal fields and many of the trains originating from Durham collieries are in the hands of Wilson Worsdell's veteran eight-coupled 0-8-0 tender engines of LNER Class Q6, his NER two-cylinder Class T2. Simple, powerful and rugged, they lasted from before World War One right up to the end of steam in North East England. From the 1940s they were hauling unfitted steel bodied 20 Ton coal hoppers, built in their thousands by the LNER (and later by BR) and these wagons would be seen in traffic right up to the early 1980s. Here, one of Class Q6 gets a long train of empty 20 Ton steel bodied coal hopper wagons on to the NCR heading east back to Low Fell yard, where it will be broken up for despatch back to colliery yards for loading.

A BR Standard 4 2-6-0 is also heading east towards Blaydon Yard with a freight from Carlisle while an ex-LNER Class K3 2-6-0 hauls an oil train westwards for Carlisle. Just visible above the oil tankers, an Austerity 0-6-0T stands in the power station headshunt.

This is my personal NW Durham route, a work in progress.

Last edited:
Rowlands Gill. Derwent Valley

North East England during the steam era. Vacuum brake fitted Class A7 4-6-2T No. 1179 at Rowlands Gill station on the Blackhill branch in the Derwent valley, County Durham circa 1937. A Class J27 passes through with a trainload of coking coal from Derwenthaugh coke works for Consett Iron Company.

This is my personal NW Durham route and is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Hett Level Crossing in the mid-1930s

Northeast England during the steam era. Here, in the mid-1930s, at Hett level crossing on the East Coast Main Line between Ferryhill and Croxdale in County Durham. L.N.E.R. 4-6-0 B15 Class number 819 passes on a down express freight from York to Heaton. Originally built by the N.E.R. by Vincent Raven as Class S2, they did useful work but could be poor steamers for crews lacking experience of the class. The arrival of the 3-cylinder S3 Class (B16) saw them relegated post-grouping to predominantly freight duties from the mixed-traffic duties they had been fulfilling. The third wagon in the consist is an ex-N.E.R. 12Ton van to diagram G12. Some of the earlier builds of this type had a rolling roof section above each door. The doors had a hinged lower section in order to act as a ramp.

On the up line one of Gresley's A8 4-6-2Ts hauls an up stopping passenger train for Darlington. The A8 was a rebuild of Raven's NER Class D 4-4-4T. Here, the bogie coaches are strengthened by ex-N.E.R. six-wheel coaches. One is a luggage van and the other is a four-compartment Third class coach. I believe that the N.E. Division had ceased using six-wheeled passenger coaches by the onset of WWII. East Lincolnshire was a holdout for ex-G.N.R. Howlden six-wheeled coaches at the end of WWII. This route is the County Durham section of the TS12 built-in route Kings Cross to Newcastle rolled back to the steam era. It is a work in progress.

Last edited:
Oh great! :D My apologises but as most of this thread is NER and stuff I expect the assets you rarely see in screenshots to be Payware... :hehe:

Speaking of freeware, the good news is, I have a full Big Four Brake Van set! A.K.A One, or more, brake vans from each company! :D :)

NER Days at South Pelaw Junction

North East England during the steam era. Here is a depiction of South Pelaw Junction near Chester le Street circa 1920. Looking east over the Stella Gill exchange sidings, a TW Worsdell C Class 0-6-0 No.1564 (LNER class J21) takes the 1896 Deviation line for Pelton with a branch passenger train for Consett, while W Worsdell T Class 0-8-0 No.2116 (LNER Class Q5) waits to depart towards Ouston Junction on the ECML with a train of coking coal in NER Wooden bodied hopper wagons. The C Class is one of the class fitted with Westinghouse brake for working passenger trains and fitted goods trains. The branch train consists of NER 49ft eliptical roof coaches built in 1908 during Wilson Worsdell's tenure as CME. The consist is Van Third, Composite, Third and Van Third. This is the T:ANE version of my personal route NW Durham and is a work in progress.

July 2017 - Photobucket link switched to Imgur.

Last edited:
Back