What are the best ever Narrow Gauge routes for Trainz?

n3vpolsen

Administrator
We would like to hear from everyone on what the best Narrow Gauge routes are that have been in any version of Trainz (built-in or DLS). Just blurt them out here, don't be shy!

The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway DHR. But then I am biased as the prototype was/is so appealing and we made it in TRS2004, all 54 miles of it, and it is on the DLS. It has now been updated to run in T:ane as build 3.5 but not uploaded.

Peter <narrowgauge>

Just for the record, not prompted by the post above, but for the enlightenment of people who think otherwise GAUGE is spelled this way. not GUAGE or any other weird combinations. American spelling has been seen as GAGE, which I would accept with difficulty.

Last edited:
I have been working on a NG route, but it hasn't been released yet:

The worst RR was the Wopsononock RR (Kittanning Indian dialect), meaning: "White (mans) Rock Land" aka: Wopsy RR, aka: Altoona Northern, aka: Altoona Ebensburg & Eastern, aka: Altoona Johnstown NantyGlo Ebensburg & Eastern, and was renamed @ 7 other RR names. The most often bankrupted and traded RR in Pa, it was created as a 36" NG tourist RR in 1897, later SG in 1902, and survived as a coal & lumber line, that further extended from Highland Fling to Dean, where it connected to the Fallentimber line, and finally closed in 1920. The rocky roadbed is still maintained by avid wintertime snowmobilers tread tracks, by equestrian horse riders, and by the Juniata Hunting & Sportsman's Association. The wooden RR ties are still in place in certain spots even though they are over a century old, and the RR ballast was indigenous limestone slabs and rock cut right from the hillsides. Very little, or no real RR ballast was used, earthen fills were the norm, and it truly was a backwoods rustic RR.

Its creation was for taking the rich & famous coal, oil and banking barons families as vacationers from Juniata (elevation 1000') up to the summit at the Wopsononck Hotel & Resort (elevation 2750'). In 1902 a raging forest fire (thought to be from locomotive sparks) destroyed the Wopsy Hotel, Philadelphia Toboggan Co Merry Go Round, Horse Stables, and 2 mile long wooden boardwalk out to the 4 story wooden Wopsononock Overlook bandstand tower, which served a dance hall for elegant women in hoop dress's and elaborate hats of the era, and men in tuxedos, derby's, and top hats. The hotel was declared a total loss with an underinsured rebuilding value of $125.000.00, a huge sum of money in that day and age.

The ride from Hollidaysburg (still the home of the Slinky Toy factory) to Juniata via the Altoona Electric trolley system cost an astronomical 45 cents, and the 11 mile steam locomotive ride from Juniata, up to the Wopsy Hotel summit, cost a whopping 15 cents !

Elaine Conrad, and her late husband maintained a great webpage, with hundreds of links all about the WopsyRR and Altoona. Sadly the original webpage has been discontinued and lost forever.

http://wopsylady.webs.com/
http://wopsylady.webs.com/apps/photo...otoid=59515210
Urban legends of the "Lady In White" ghost stories are associated in the Wopsy Hotel area near the treacherous Devils Elbow mountain road catastrophe which claimed the lives the woman's husband and infant in a horse and buggy cliff side accident. And in this photo the "Ghost of the Lady In White" is thought to be seen in the second story right central window above the porch steps entrance: http://wopsylady.webs.com/apps/photo...otoid=58837238
The Lady in White ghost is thought to still inhabit the scene of the wreck searching for her loved ones. It is rumored that people who stop to assist the lady in white, who like a banshee is standing in the middle of darkened mountain roadway at night, and drivers who stop give her a ride, look in the rear view mirror, startled to see no refection of the aberration who is sitting right in their backseat.

Last edited:
You might way to take a peek at the White Pass & Yukon route available for download from the Trainz iItalia site. It was made to be prototypically correct.

Ben.

It's got to be Clam1952's Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland route! Available on the DLS in a 2012 version, he's currently working on a T:ANE version...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I would recommend the WP&Y And Rollins Pass NG by Trainz Italia as well as the Durango & Silverton Route on the DLS. There are a few older routes that I still like that are from Slugsmaster which are the is small Maine 2foot gauge route and his West Side Lumber Company Sampler route.

The older North Bay County is my all time favorite.

When not working on my own routes, or driving standard gauge routes, I would spend hours driving and fiddling with this one.

John

Would like you to consider the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad...the highest in North America. Still working on it! Also am trying to migrate it to TANE.

The West Side Lumber Co. Sampler Route by slugsmasher is a logging route is a fantastic route. He also makes NG locos and logging skeleton cars and the M-log lodes. I am also working on a NG route. The thred link is below.

Here is the route: LINK

Here is slugsmasher's home page: LINK

Here is the thred: LINK

Last edited:
Also If I can remember there was the Australian NG railroad "The Puffing Billy" hanging around somewhere that was made during the 06 era. Im not sure if its still available to download but its another one looking into.

Would like you to consider the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad...the highest in North America. Still working on it! Also am trying to migrate it to TANE.
that's good to hear. There was a guy who was working on that route and he even had created custom coaches and a few buildings before his project went cold by 2011.

I would not ever lay any claim to them being "best", but I've put out several NG routes over the years:

Duchal Moor (on the DLS) 30024:20048:1

Dalmunzie (on the DLS) 30024:20252:2

Sulitjelma 2014 version, available from Trainsim.com file library.

My favorites;

The highest and most amazing - Darjeeling Himalayan Railway TS12 24"
The longest and most prototypical - White Pass and Yukon 36"
The most prototypical and most rolling stock - Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland 24" and 10 1/4"
Very fun but needs update good sessions - Northbay County TS12 36" and 24"
Fun with good sessions - Clear Lake Lumber V2 36"
Interesting - Clear Lake Model Trainz 42"
Most promising - West Side Sampler 36"

and so many more to come!

Edit: Most interesting collection of rolling stock http://www.ballynagarrick.net/ing4trainz/index.html

Last edited:
This may be slightly off topic but perhaps not too much.

Once the Durango & Silverton plus Cumbres & Toltec routes are on the DLS wouldn't it be fantastic if some talented route builder would recreate the line that connected the two (from Chama on the C&T to Durango on the D&S). If the end baseboards were made to match the corresponding end baseboards on the C&T and D&S they could quite possibly be merged into one heck of a super narrow gauge route. Methinks there would be a lot of Trainzers that would like that.

Hey - if your gonna dream - dream big.:hehe:

Ben

Some PL, HU and Russian ones are also pretty good. I also know 2 or 3 from CZ, which are excellent, but unfortunately private :-/

Back