Sit Tight at Crossing as Coal Trains Double to 2 Miles Long

Motorists’ wait time at U.S. rail crossings may double as CSX Corp. hooks trains together to boost efficiency amid plunging demand for coal shipments.
Bulk cargo is the latest focus in CSX’s effort to improve productivity. Getting more cars behind the locomotives is one way to do that -- even if a longer, heavier load spends more time on the tracks.
“We’re actually combining two long trains” in some coal markets, Chief Executive Officer Michael Ward said in an interview Wednesday. “Some of the trains can get to a couple of miles long.”
A one-mile (1.6-kilometer) length, at least for trains carrying a single type of cargo, is an industry rule of thumb in the U.S. CSX, the largest railroad in the eastern part of the country, is looking to make each cargo train more productive because domestic coal carloads are expected to drop about 20 percent in the last three months of the year.
All U.S. rail companies are combing their operations for efficiency gains and cost cuts, including parking older locomotives and furloughing works, to make up for a 7 percent drop in bulk freight for the first nine months this year.
The effort began by adding cars carrying merchandise, with the average length of a CSX train growing by 10 percent from last year. With the longer trains, CSX is able to carry the same amount of freight in six days as it had in seven, Ward said. Those trains now have about 10 additional cars, he said.
[h=3]Longer Sidings[/h]The company also is looking at stretching out some sidings, the short lengths of track running parallel to a main line that enable a train to move over so another can pass. Most of those are 10,000 feet, or a little less than two miles, and may need to be lengthened to 12,000 feet, Ward said.
The longer trains have hurt CSX’s efforts to increase the average speed that has dropped to 20.5 miles per hour in the third quarter from a record 23.3 mph in the same quarter of 2013. The on-time rate has also dropped, with 54 percent of cargo delivered as scheduled in the quarter compared with 83 percent two years earlier.
For now, drivers trying to cross railroad tracks will have to be patient at rail crossings because most North American carriers want their locomotives to pull more cars.
Union Pacific Corp., the largest publicly traded U.S. railroad, said in July it operated trains at record length in the second quarter and Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. said its trains grew longer by 3 percent in the same quarter.
“Everybody has been pushing toward longer trains because that is one of the ways to get efficiency,” Ward said.

How long is the average non-DPU train in length, or in number or railcars ?

CR used to run @ 137 hoppers, and I thought most non-DPU trains were under 1 mile long

The reason I ask is that I set up my routes to handle 5280' trains ... possibly that is to long ? or is too short ?

I know some DPU and Unit trains are much longer than 5280', and have multiple mid train helpers ... But I want to know what length trains are running over the NS East/West Slope Altoona to Johnstown, that have @ 4 locos lead, and 2 more shoving on the rear, with no mid train DPU locos.

I think it was in the 1970's ... CR experimented with a monster 300, or was it 600 car, iron ore gennie train from Morrisville to Pittsburgh, with something like 16 locos ... but it breaking knuckles at multiple locations just west of Phila, that the train was cut into several normal size trains, and the CR monster train program was scrapped that very day, in 1 days time !

Motorists’ wait time at U.S. rail crossings may double as CSX Corp. hooks trains together to boost efficiency amid plunging demand for coal shipments.

I haven't got time to read all the article, but that doesn't make sense. If demand is "plunging" for coal, wouldn't you expect them to cut the number of coal trains, instead of doubling them?

This is interesting...

I thought there used to be laws dictating the maximum amount of time that a train could occupy rails at road crossings due to the potential of holding up fire and rescue vehicles...or was this another example of urban legend?

I haven't got time to read all the article, but that doesn't make sense. If demand is "plunging" for coal, wouldn't you expect them to cut the number of coal trains, instead of doubling them?

Read the whole article and you might not need to ask the question.

This is interesting...

I thought there used to be laws dictating the maximum amount of time that a train could occupy rails at road crossings due to the potential of holding up fire and rescue vehicles...or was this another example of urban legend?

I THINK (which means I not sure, so don't quote me on it) that only applies to switching or stopped trains. Not trains that won't be stopping on the crossing.

David,

As we've said before, please include the direct link to this article rather than the article its self. Quoting an article such as this may very well be a violation of copyrights which can get you in trouble for doing this.

Back