The Illinois Railway Museum Route

@Matt3985

I personally think, that PMing people that never showed any interests in your projects is a bad idea. That meant your PM to me, and other TEH members.

Ivan

Seriously matt? Trying to rope in us TEH members to help?

News flash. No one in TEH gives a damn about your project. Stop messaging members from there. We wont help you with anything.

Matt,

I have been watching this thread for a bit, because it caught my interest. It is a pity that you intend to give up, as it was turning out to be a good representation of the real IRM.

Matt,

I have been watching this thread for a bit, because it caught my interest. It is a pity that you intend to give up, as it was turning out to be a good representation of the real IRM.
I did not say I'm going to pull the plug now... I'm still going to work on the route. It's just I'm still making a decision on wether to try content creating one more chance or not.... this route isn't going anywhere just yet. I do however appreciate your support.

I did not say I'm going to pull the plug now... I'm still going to work on the route. It's just I'm still making a decision on wether to try content creating one more chance or not.... this route isn't going anywhere just yet. I do however appreciate your support.

If you decide to try Blender, I'll be here to answer your questions. I had somebody help me when I was starting out so I can pay it forward.

Pardon if I misinterpreted your post regarding halting the project.

I've got to say, I've never really looked at this thread because it hasn't been a project that interested me, but here I am. Why? Because I also got the PM like nearly every other modeler in the community. Why do I make Trainz models? At the risk of sounding like an echo of all the others, there were things I wanted for a route I was building, things that just weren't available already. I wanted rolling stock from railroads that just weren't represented in the community (on the DLS and third party sites), I wanted buildings specific to my route that didn't exist. I found out with a quickness that there weren't many people who did random things for others, they tend to make stuff that they wanted for their own regions and their own routes. When I wanted an Arco gas station like the one I remembered, the best way I found to get it was to reskin another gas station. My first reskins were HORRIBLE, but I developed my technique. The first thing Beethoven was able to make was just cacophonous banging on a piano. He didn't start with symphonies! I taught myself how to take what already existed and make it into what I wanted. (Sure, I was already fair with Photoshop, but after WANTING to learn to make content, I learned everything I could about it)

So what about stuff that didn't already exist that had to be made from scratch? I REALLY wanted a Penn Central transfer caboose. I wanted better coil cars than what was available. I wanted corrugated-side gondolas. I knew nobody was just going to make a ton of rolling stock for me. I sure as hell didn't have the disposable income to just go paying people to make stuff. I have a life- a family, a wife, and kids that depend on me to provide for them. I own a home and what could only be described as a small fleet of vehicles because some days some of them choose not to run and I need something to get myself to work. If I didn't accept my responsibilities in life, I'd be thrown out on my butt and living in the streets. If I wanted stuff for Trainz, I was going to have to LEARN TO MAKE IT. Like PWeiser, I learned on an Apple ][+, my first computer was an Apple //e (man, I haven't heard the name Bill Budge in forever!!), and my first dabbling in 3d were Mac apps called Carrara and Bryce. I never really did anything with them and hadn't done anything 3d in over 20 years. I tried 2 or 3 times with GMax with no luck, I really NEVER figured out the insane interface of Blender. Any time I tried to learn Blender (the software) I ended up going to Blender (the kitchen appliance) to make a drink to ease the headaches. Finally, I was hell bent to make something, I set my mind to making something, and was stoked to finally make stupid boxes. After a long and mind wracking afternoon and evening, by the end of the night I was able to make this ridiculously simple grocery store:

1287824_orig.jpg

I was REALLY proud of that grocery store, but looking back on it, it is sort of pathetic. From there, it was baby steps learning how to make more complicated shapes and finally jumped in with both feet to make my caboose as my first real project. The gons were next, then coil cars. Along the way, I moved up to 3ds Max, more advanced modeling techniques, texture baking, and the like. This didn't happen overnight:

a956ca0358c794d7c191108dd3686780.jpg

This was a VERY long road to travel, teaching myself to do this. I've been fiddling with Trainz since 2009, I've been modeling stuff for nearly five years. I STILL can't make a good locomotive, but it doesn't mean I'm done trying. I still want a good U30C that I can skin myself and release to the public. Maybe someday....

So what am I trying to say with all of this? Something my dad and my grandfather taught me early on, if you want something in life, you go after it and get it yourself. Stop sitting back and whining "Poor pitiful me, nobody will make stuff for me" Toughen up, Buttercup. Grab the bull by the horns. If you really want something, REALLY WANT it, you will teach yourself to do, not wait for it to come to you. What are you spending on commissions? $100, $150, $200 a piece? How much money have you pissed away? Thousands? THIS IS A GAME!!! Wake up, have a cup of coffee, and gulp down a big dose of reality. If you want stuff in this life, you have to EARN it. Whether that means yo have to go to school, teach yourself a skill, or pay someone else (who went to school or taught THEMSELVES a skill) to do your work for you, you will find that nothing in life is free and you get what you pay for.

Good luck, Matt.

If one is so personally and emotionally invested in a project on a computer game, perhaps it's time to take a break and re-assess priorities in life.

I'll remember to stay half an earth away from TEH. This is an attitude that I hope is not contagious among the members of the community.

That they don't bend over for people they have problems with?

I think you'd better stay half an earth away from earth.

I was REALLY proud of that grocery store, ...
Something most CCs would remember. The first time I made a loco and saw it moving down a track was something I will never, ever forget.

This was a VERY long road to travel, teaching myself to do this. I've been fiddling with Trainz since 2009, I've been modeling stuff for nearly five years. I STILL can't make a good locomotive, but it doesn't mean I'm done trying....t.

I can relate to that.

You never know what you can do until you try. ;)

Hey Guys enough with the off topic discussion please.... if you want to discuss this further please PM me or take it elsewhere.

If one is so personally and emotionally invested in a project on a computer game, perhaps it's time to take a break and re-assess priorities in life.
I'm sorry but it's going to take more than that to stop me with my project.

Hey Guys enough with the off topic discussion please.... if you want to discuss this further please PM me or take it elsewhere.

How is asking you to stop PMing content creators with unsolicited messages asking them to make you free stuff for this **** route off topic? You've gone through and messaged anyone who has so much as modeled a cube in blender in the community asking for stuff in the last 48 hours. This needs to stop man. Stop trying to play victim when you are continuing to display this poor behavior without any remorse. This is exactly why us creators leave the community.

You've gone through and messaged anyone who has so much as modeled a cube in blender in the community asking for stuff in the last 48 hours. This needs to stop man.

The fact that I didn't get asked makes me feel left out at this point... :eek: (and, no Matt, I'm not going to make stuff specifically for your route, I have no interest in an IRM route.)

*Moderator hat on*
Stop trying to play victim when you are continuing to display this poor behavior without any remorse. This is exactly why us creators leave the community.

Admittedly guys this thread is in the screenshots section & should be devoted to screenshots of Matt's IRM route & not instructing him on how to go about making content for Trainz.

That being said Matt, just because you don't agree with or necessarily like what somewhat says doesn't mean that they are personally attacking you, being mean to you, etc.

In fact the majority of these posts would fall under the category of criticism and questioning; and so are specifically allowed in the Code of Conduct. If you are going to make anything for any community (including screenshots) you need to develop a bit of a thick skin, people will criticize & question your creations & you need to learn how to deal with it in a civil manner. Soliciting input directly from people should come with an expectation of discontent, especially when you contact people who you know already aren't to happy with you.

peter

Edit: What part of stay on topic do you guys not understand? Do I really need to start handing out bans over off topic posts?

Last edited:
Now getting back on track I would like to give a big thanks to our new contributor to the project davidakridge who has offered his assistance with his excellent reskining skills and he surely delivered with this excellent reskin of a Thrall Boxcar that is in IRM's collection. We are awaiting permission from Dave Snow to release this on the DLS.
7bc347e2bd60cb0c806e9117f5119b69.jpg

Now before I post something about it, I was at the IRM Sunday and would like to post a few pics I got. Also, (ignoring the useless argument above) great job with the boxcar Matt and nice coil car @slabay.

"Thank you to the men and women who risked there lives to save ours and keep ours at freedom."

David has just finished the second car and this one will be uploaded to the DLS once we again get permission from Dave Snow.
3bead97797f9fc547b35ef00d5ce27b3.jpg

Back