The Illinois Railway Museum Route

Cool, I was one time drive North Shore Trolley at Indiana Transportation Museum last time ago mid 80's. After years i heard that museum really bad happen Two trolleys were fire and all damages. My dad was very very upset. And so My dad and I were worked them for trolley then now sadly trolley gone. :(

NKP

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the ITM will get thru the hard times they are facing right now.

Here is the latest progress from BDW1964 on the East Union Depot.

babf761a8ac3d839ed47d6b8e783f413.jpg

Like the Videos for IRM and Wiener Mobile, so cool thanks for sharing, and hey the the New Station you built looks great too......Keep it up gents!

Doing yet another update for BDW1964 again and the modeling work on the East Union Depot has been completed and now its time to start texturing it.

e8ab6e71fe1e613b27f2eec1f80171c8.jpg

Plus I found yet another map of something IRM had planned back in the early years but has now rejected which was the planned West loop by the end of the museum mainline track at Jefferson Street, this was meant to for Streetcar and Interurban use only but since their has been housing development in the area now that the loop was planned this project was scrapped plus now that IRM has a better option of having a separate loop for the streetcars since they are slower and that frees up the mainline traffic.

86b96c48cdacbd433c6cbd64d18d8272.jpg

Last edited:
Another update on the East Union Depot from BDW1964, The roof and station walls have been textured, I quite like how this turned out, he did a great job on it.

5e964db455d3177b52abfecb09ad8444.jpg

Plus take a trip back in time to the year of 1975 during the early years of IRM showing how much the museum has grown up since then and how the museum operations have also change (like back then all streetcars were allowed on the museum mainline because there was no trolley loop so they had run on the mainline.

Plus this is the only video I can find that shows IRM's Tuskegee Railroad 2-6-2 #101 in operation before it was taken out of service in 1989.
Also note that 1630's Tender is different in this video because its still in its Eagle Pitcher Mining Company look before IRM did a full restoration on the tender to convert it back to its Frisco look.
cb0201b5fdb9e349085ebd7f9181df2b.jpg

one last note is that in the video below, CB&Q E5A #9911A "Silver Pilot" is in its ex Colorado & Southern look and is numbered #9952 and is named "Texas Zephyr"
ed20e8232346f6cc3200e83d8018c567.jpg

(Note this video has no audio so no need to check you volume)

Last edited:
Thanks Epoche3bis4. Glad you like what you see so far. I know that IRM would be a great route for trainz because since IRM has so much in their collection (even more if you included the former pieces of equipment that was once at IRM wether if they were scrapped or transferred or traded) plus since IRM is a fully functional operational museum, its perfect for trainz.

So happy to see 101 running. 101 is my favourite steam loco. I want her to run again one day. 1630 is the icon and I always want her running, but 101 would be nice and I hope she comes to TS. Thanks for pointing out the Eagle Pitcher tender, a big change I usually notice in photos, but not here in his video. I am so glad IRM restored her and that the route and eventually 1630 are coming to TANE. Keep up the good work. IRM hold my favourite loco, 101, and favourite business car, Nevada Northern 'Ely'.

Saturnr

Sorry to rain on your parade there Saturnr but Ive heard from many of the volunteers of the IRM Steam Department that it looks like the #101 will most likely never steam again for reasons that its a very worn out engine, Even when it was in operation during the early years, the locomotive had a lot of issues because when IRM acquired it, it was almost run into the ground and the cost to repair the engine would be far too high of a price and would require IRM to pull a lot of resources to fix this engine off of their current project list (Which is the Shay and UP #428, 1630 and whatever they plan on firing up next) so basically #101 has been pushed to cosmetic restoration. Between the #101 and the Commonwealth Edison 0-6-0 #5 (both of which ran during the 1970's) the Com Ed #5 is a more likely candidate to return to steam again than the #101 but even the #5 will take awhile because its not on the current list of "To Be Restored to Operating Condition list". The current list they have that I heard from the Shop Forman is that after the Shay and 428, what should be up next that they are looking at is CB&Q 4-6-0 #637 (But its not a 100% confirmation that #637 will steam again) but its just a plan to see if it can be possible.

2373e11f0fc6091659941f907f3863a8.jpg

e2c0f4cdcd49c28e280ce3f8e049ad69.jpg

c2edb2bd2c59db7b287ced090b3c29e3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I know the chances of 101 ever running again are slim to none, and the fact she burns oil in such capacity, most other stuff is coal, of bunker of oil.

Saturnr

You have to keep in mind Ktain, that when IRM was started (Both in the the Chicago location and then during the early years at Union IL) they had little amount of money for building barns to provide indoor storage so sadly they had to do a lot of the earlier restorations out in the open leaving them expose to the elements, so some equipment had deteriorated due to that It wasn't until the early 1990's when the majority of the equipment was mostly undercover started to outnumbered the amount still sitting outside. IRM has 10 times more indoor space now than they had then so now IRM is starting to restore pieces once again (Both Cosmetically and Operational) so that this time equipment will last a lot longer this time.

Plus this news update just in, the Illinois Railway Museum got another new addition to its passenger car fleet, its Western Pacific Baggage car #801 "Silver Beaver" finally arrived after a long wait for transport to the museum.

810d6d3bf3430f6b735b8050a752534e.jpg

Plus the track work for the future barn 15 has been completed (Now all that is left is for the barn to be built).
5fd7054125d1f2c71bb9ac26174519b5.jpg

Plus this part of the future new Streetcar Loop Extension has been completed but......

ac97c9c7e1e298e0a3046f4e5fa6abec.jpg

There is still more track work to be done to get to....
1f47b5b5058bf33594b17c48da42c14c.jpg

This location on Central Ave that is part of the future main street plan
8d70aaefb6ea7faad4e4990310e0eff2.jpg

As you can see this is why I love going to visit IRM again and again because every visit I go to there is something new to see and the amount of equipment arriving at IRM seems to never stop (Which is good for all you Content Creators out there) plus this new track work means I will be pretty busy once when this new extension for the streetcar loop if this continues at this rapid pace. Hopefully Google will update their google map imagery of IRM one day so I can properly include this new track work.

Last edited:
a shame that steam engines were allowed to rot away like this. hopefully one day they'll steam again...

the day will come when people ... well, the uninformed will stand by the trackside and gaze upon things like this

168c789da33236833fd1e022bbfec974.jpg

And they will point to all the smoke,

and they will say things like "climate change" or "environment protection authority" and they will be vociferous and loudly speak about how smoke is bad for Planet Earth and cry "Protect our Planet, it is the only home we have"... and then the legislators will do their thing and pass laws wherein those who operate such excursions will have to pay for the damage they do to the so-called climate change and actually have to pay fines to run steam excursions. The fines will be so high ... ... ...

Truly ruly. Just don't mention chemtrails to them ...

smoke causes climate change? is that why the diesels replaced the steam engines? a coincidence? or the truth that would arrest steam for their own good? I hope it's not bad.

Will you be running trains on the UP Belvedere Subdivision?
of course I will as I said Im including the UP mainline so that people have the option to choose one of the other or to run both the UP Mainline and Museum Mainline all at once to create a unique style for operations.

the day will come when people ... well, the uninformed will stand by the trackside and gaze upon things like this

(pic removed)

And they will point to all the smoke,

and they will say things like "climate change" or "environment protection authority" and they will be vociferous and loudly speak about how smoke is bad for Planet Earth and cry "Protect our Planet, it is the only home we have"... and then the legislators will do their thing and pass laws wherein those who operate such excursions will have to pay for the damage they do to the so-called climate change and actually have to pay fines to run steam excursions. The fines will be so high ... ... ...

Truly ruly. Just don't mention chemtrails to them ...

Well, smoke IS bad. However, the large majority of environmentalists are capable of logical thought and can realize that cars daily create a lot more pollution than a steam engine running once every so often. And if they target trains, which they have done somewhat, steam engines won't usually be targeted. People can understand the historical value of steam engines. And also, do you not think smoke and emissions is causing any damage whatsoever? It must have SOME consequence, most things tend to have results. If you want to, you can find temperature charts and see how the worlds temperature has steadily been rising. Of course, it may be colder from time to time, but that's because climate is long term and weather is short term. Suppose 100 years ago it was usually 50 degrees somewhere, but occasionally there was a 30 degree day. Now, if in that same place it is usually 70 degrees, and there's a 35 degree day, it's going to feel very cold, even though it has been warmer on average.

And also, would you rather have steam engines or a habitable climate in the future? I mean, steam engines alone won't do much in terms of pollution because there can't be over 1000 still operating worldwide, but if they did and they were causing damage, would you not want to stop that damage?

I don't want to derail this thread but I also feel like I ought to try and explain climate change.

Back