5 Train Trips to Reconnect You to the Beauty of North America

Very surprised that the Durango & Silverton didn't make the cut. Riding up through the San Jaun mountains this June I experienced all 4 seasons in the same day.

As usual, the deep south is totally overlooked again.

Okay, I'll bite, what kinds of good ones would you personally suggest from the deep South? I'm a West Coast person, never been to the deep South. Now you got my curiosity going... ;)

Rocky Mountaineer by all accounts requires a second mortgage taking out to travel on it! I was lucky enough to visit Canada in 1986 and take in the routes operated by VIA Rail (at that time TheCanadian still ran over Kicking Horse Pass) plus the BCR from Prince George down to North Vancouver.

The Grand Canyon Railway gets very mixed reviews on Trip Advisor - most of the journey is through fairly flat desert or scrubland, there is constant "entertainment" and commentary en route which distracts those who want a quiet reflective journey. Apparently, the return journey features a staged train "robbery" where the actors quite aggressively expect passengers to hand over money as tips, followed by the traincrew holding out their hand for more "tips" when the train arrives back in Williams.

And as usual New England is forgotten as well except for the Ethan Allen Express from New York.

How about the Downeaster up to Brunswick, which connects to the Maine Eastern out to Rockport, ME?

For a preserved a line, how about the Conway Scenic, which runs up through Crawford Notch on the old Maine Central Mountain Division?

There is also the Cape Cod Central down to Hyannis, as well as the Acela along the Shoreline from New York City to Boston.

Yep. And every time I get a new TRAINS, TRP, Railroads Illustrated, or any magazine about railroading, it's always about either Pennsylvania, Chicago, or California.
I understand this... I hate how some really really good areas get left out because there aren't foamers lined up everywhere to see trains all day long. It's because these areas are pretty much the easiest to document. To tell you the truth, I don't want to visit Chicago, Pennsy, or Cajon and Mojave in California..... I don't quite see why nobody wants to take the time out to make a real adventure and go out into a lesser known area see what all it has to offer. I would say nearly 95% of the time, pics and videos of trains are best when they cover an area that is not seen a whole lot, and documents everything there is to offer about an area, not just the trains. This is probably just my personal preference, but when I go out for a train expedition, I want 50% to be nature and 50% to be trains, and I want the two working together. I'll say 80% of the time, the two don't work together perfectly, but it's that 20% that always leaves me, and I know others have to be around here that are the same way in awe.

vern, was that trip for Expo '86? I was there, also...

No, just coincidence - though explained why the trains and hotels were so busy. For anyone interested my itinerary was:
Toronto - Banff (VIA) 24 hour break.
Banff to Vancouver (VIA), same day turnround
Vancouver to Calgary (VIA) 24 hour break.
Calgary to Edmonton (bus as the Budd Car not long ceased running).
Edmonton to Prince Rupert (VIA)
Prince Rupert to Prince George (VIA)
Prince George to North Vancouver (BCR)
Vancouver to Winnipeg via Jasper (VIA).

Then flew back from Winnipeg via Toronto to London.
I would certainly count that as one of the greatest railway journeys I ever made, parts of it could not be repeated today or only at great expense. Added bonus was the outward flight from LHR to Toronto was on an Air Canada L1011...it screamed...again never to be repeated.

Yep. And every time I get a new TRAINS, TRP, Railroads Illustrated, or any magazine about railroading, it's always about either Pennsylvania, Chicago, or California.

This is one of the reasons I no longer subscribe to TRAINS. or the other magazines.

This is one of the reasons I no longer subscribe to TRAINS. or the other magazines.
I used to get it before everything's focus shifted to the NS Heritages and BNSF and UP rival showdowns in the Southwest. All of those 3 are something that I could really care less about. Most of these people writing are probably young and probably haven't even seen some other areas that are fantastic locations other than Horseshoe Curve, Cajon Pass, Mojave/Tehapachi Loop.
Trains magazine has really turned into the magazine for Foamers vice Railroad Enthusiast like ourselves. It used to be about that where we could see what was going on throughout all the railroads, but now it's just another thing for no-good doing foamers. It's gotten to be so bad that railfan and foamer are synonymous, but they aren't. Foamers have no life and need to get one, while railfans are people who appreciate and understand the trains and what's going on. They also understand safety, and that trains are big and could kill you at anytime. Foamers are careless 100% of the time. Railfans enjoy the trains as they roll-past regardless of what it is. Whether it's a GE ES44AC, Dash 9, AC4400CW, or EMD SD40-2, SD60, or SD70 series, we enjoy it. We also know that crews have an important job, so if they don't give us a wave, or some kind of hornshow, it's because they were busy at work doing what they do. Foamers get ridiculously angry if a crew does not acknowledge their existence and give them the show they demand. Railfans get surprised when crews put on a show, and are always happy when a crew can at their own discretion do so. Foamers demand everything. Foamers 95% of the time are after Steam movements and Heritage units... They spend their whole lives sheltered trying to make their lifetime achievement of seeing every unit listed on Heritage units.com. They are so bad, that they abuse every resource that helps the railfan get out and see trains at different spots, so that now public tracing is no longer existent and we as railfans really have to use our own brains to pick out spots and hot-times. Foamers pretend to know something about trains, but all they know is that NS 8114 is the Norfolk and Southern Heritage ES44AC or that UP 1983 is the Western Pacific SD70ACe. Foamers actually think they take good pictures and videos, but I would say 80% of the videos and pictures I have seen from foamers suck. Railfans take fantastic pictures and videos because they know. Foamers know not, nor will they ever know the secrets. Foamers spend a lot of their time playing train-sims, and then claiming that makes them an engineer candidate at a class 1 RR. Railfans know that being an Engineer or Conductor is not that simple. Crews like railfans, but hate foamers. Foamers write about those locations because they are the foamer captials of the world. Railfans always have a story to share, foamers have none because they never to a moment to step aside and think about what they are seeing and then think about something else they saw. Foamers are 100% of the time impaitent in a hobby class where patience makes or breaks you. Railfans are patient and know how to make all the elements work together to get exactly what they want. They understand that sometimes though getting it takes half a year to get it though and in X time slot they might have 1 day or a whole week to do it. Foamers can't do this, the only thing they know that a heritage unit is coming, and that they have to see it. Remember, Railfans are not foamers!!!! No matter what one says, the two are never alike! The

Last edited:
I used to get it before everything's focus shifted to the NS Heritages and BNSF and UP rival showdowns in the Southwest. All of those 3 are something that I could really care less about. Most of these people writing are probably young and probably haven't even seen some other areas that are fantastic locations other than Horseshoe Curve, Cajon Pass, Mojave/Tehapachi Loop.
Trains magazine has really turned into the magazine for Foamers vice Railroad Enthusiast like ourselves. It used to be about that where we could see what was going on throughout all the railroads, but now it's just another thing for no-good doing foamers. It's gotten to be so bad that railfan and foamer are synonymous, but they aren't. Foamers have no life and need to get one, while railfans are people who appreciate and understand the trains and what's going on. They also understand safety, and that trains are big and could kill you at anytime. Foamers are careless 100% of the time. Railfans enjoy the trains as they roll-past regardless of what it is. Whether it's a GE ES44AC, Dash 9, AC4400CW, or EMD SD40-2, SD60, or SD70 series, we enjoy it. We also know that crews have an important job, so if they don't give us a wave, or some kind of hornshow, it's because they were busy at work doing what they do. Foamers get ridiculously angry if a crew does not acknowledge their existence and give them the show they demand. Railfans get surprised when crews put on a show, and are always happy when a crew can at their own discretion do so. Foamers demand everything. Foamers 95% of the time are after Steam movements and Heritage units... They spend their whole lives sheltered trying to make their lifetime achievement of seeing every unit listed on Heritage units.com. They are so bad, that they abuse every resource that helps the railfan get out and see trains at different spots, so that now public tracing is no longer existent and we as railfans really have to use our own brains to pick out spots and hot-times. Foamers pretend to know something about trains, but all they know is that NS 8114 is the Norfolk and Southern Heritage ES44AC or that UP 1983 is the Western Pacific SD70ACe. Foamers actually think they take good pictures and videos, but I would say 80% of the videos and pictures I have seen from foamers suck. Railfans take fantastic pictures and videos because they know. Foamers know not, nor will they ever know the secrets. Foamers spend a lot of their time playing train-sims, and then claiming that makes them an engineer candidate at a class 1 RR. Railfans know that being an Engineer or Conductor is not that simple. Crews like railfans, but hate foamers. Foamers write about those locations because they are the foamer captials of the world. Railfans always have a story to share, foamers have none because they never to a moment to step aside and think about what they are seeing and then think about something else they saw. Foamers are 100% of the time impaitent in a hobby class where patience makes or breaks you. Railfans are patient and know how to make all the elements work together to get exactly what they want. They understand that sometimes though getting it takes half a year to get it though and in X time slot they might have 1 day or a whole week to do it. Foamers can't do this, the only thing they know that a heritage unit is coming, and that they have to see it. Remember, Railfans are not foamers!!!! No matter what one says, the two are never alike! The

Your last sentence is cut off, but anyway I've run into this kind before. They're the ones that always do the stupid things like climb up on signal masts to get the so-called best shots and the ones that wear the same smelly shirt covered in mustard, and that hat... that hat with every railroad pin emblazoned upon it... They never bathe either and smell awful as well.

Anyway, I think you're right. They have no understanding of what's out there except for the things that are the most popular like those places mentioned. I prefer the little backwoods and backwater short lines which do a heck of a lot of work compared to the bigger railroads which get the bigger limelight in the rags. I suppose coming from an area where the Class 1s have left us in the dust makes these smaller railroads more common up my area.

John

Speaking of Trains Magazine, when I rode the Sumpter Valley Railroad last weekend, I bought 6 old Trains magazines from the station in Sumpter. The oldest one is from January 1999.

Back on topic, I was surprised the Sumpter Valley Railroad wasn't on the list. It provides an experience similar to train riding back in the old days, narrow gauge, and on some weekends they do train robberies, like when I was riding it last weekend, there was one. Ah... I still remember the conductor's line: "They call these guillotine windows for a reason." That was fun.

Sounds great! I have to disagree with some previous posts as Trains Magazine has a lot of different stuff in it. For example the latest issue has:
-Chicago Union Station, Then and Now
-PTC Deadline looms
-Watco expands in the west
-13 Biggest Blunders in railroading
-Sunset Limited's dusk or dawn?
-Bringing back a narrow gauge legend
-MAP: Locomotive and car shops
-Tech: Railroads byte into big data

There are no articles specifically about California or Pennsylvania, and there's only a small one about Chicago.

Back