AI Brake and it's uses

cascaderailroad

I have experimented with AI Brake, as it adds allot of of braking power to a consist, and too, it is a drivable invisible loco that can be put between the loco, and first railcar.

What I am trying to do is stop decoupled long consists of railcars from running away downhill on a freight yard that has a 0.50% grade (such as the Johnstown-Woodvale Yard.

I put 10 AI Brake between the loco and first railcar, and still the consist slowly slides downhill as a runaway.

How can I make the AI Brake more powerful ?

Is it the enginespec adhesion tag line ? Or another config tag line that makes a loco unslidable ?

What is the most powerful locomotive, and most powerful enginespec on the DLS, that would replicate totally unslidable locked on brakes, rulling out high speed enginespec, 10,000 mph locos ?

What I really want to do is create a super powerful drivable railcar, or caboose, that has a rediculously superior braking enginespec.

Is something like this made, on the DLS

Why are your cars rolling away? I've never had my cars roll away like that unless I purposely didn't let the brake pressure do its thing.

script-include-table
{
traincar_fx_library <kuid2:45324:555200:9>
}
script "JR_Traincar"
class "JRTraincar"

Should give each car braking, set or release. Right click on the car's properties. For reference see JR's & David Snows rolling stock.

John

There's a driver rule on the DS that allows you to tell your driver to enable/disable the train brake on the consist.
I've used this, and the cars do not roll away down a hill.

Just have to make sure that you set this before decoupling, and if my memory serves me right from the scenario I wrote back in Trainz 1.3, it was always best to have a little pause of a second or two before decoupling, after setting the train brake, otherwise the train brake didn't activate in time, and cars did roll away.

That's if you're trying to make it all automatic with the AI.

Brian.

I do not use AI control, I use CAB control, and do everything manually ... perhaps it is because I am running a train that is well over a mile long ... 18,000 tons loaded coal parking it, on a 0.50% grade, and decoupling 4 lead units, and 2 rear helper units ... trying again with initial application ... then with application ... then with emergency

I suppose that all decoupled trains are put into emergency

There should be a rule, or a drivable traincar, that acts as handbrakes to a parked consist

Last edited:
I made the AI Brake to fix a bug in TRS4 and if I remember it only works in DCC, it's all in the engine file.

I have been getting better at it, as when I park a train in the 0.50% Johnstown Woodvale yard, I put it into Emergency ... then drive the 4 lead end locos away, then drive the 2 rear end helpers away, and the 1 mile long consist seems to stay in put, parked in emergency.

But it would be nice to have a secret railcar in the consist, or a caboose, that has actual handbrakes, and is drivable, and that has a super high powered enginespec, that will be enough to keep any train from sliding downhill.

What are the actual "config file tags" that tell a loco that it will stay adhesive to the rail, and will not slip ... and that it has ludicrous horsepower power ?

there is no good reason an 0.5% grade should make that train slide either. i would think about maybe checking the traincar assets for problems and silly spec entries, overweight etc.

I have a -1.75% grade, with a 1 mile long loaded coal consist, having 4 locos head end, and 2 more helpers rear end ... it comes to a misaligned turnout, and oftentimes speeds through a slower speedboard, causing a SPAD (signal passed at danger) emergency braking, restarting in 10 seconds ... I placed a caboose, and added 40 invisible AI Brake, then another caboose, and hooked this onto the rear end of the rear helpers ... although it looks odd, having 2 caboose's hooked on to the rear of the train, having a 5m gap in between the 2 caboose's ... this does slow a train when it detects a misaligned turnout or a stop signal, and stops the heavy train from sliding through the signal and switch

How many locos?

I do not use AI control, I use CAB control, and do everything manually ... perhaps it is because I am running a train that is well over a mile long ... 18,000 tons loaded coal parking it, on a 0.50% grade, and decoupling 4 lead units, and 2 rear helper units ... trying again with initial application ... then with application ... then with emergency

I suppose that all decoupled trains are put into emergency

There should be a rule, or a drivable traincar, that acts as handbrakes to a parked consist

How many locos do you use? For 18,000 tonnes train you need 3 at the front , 1-2 in the middle and optionally 1 pushing at the back. Also, parking track should have gradient 0.15% or less.

I haven't been railfaning in @ 4 years, but in the mountains, NS commonly uses 4 locos head end, and 2 more manned locos shoving on the rear (no mid train helpers)

I have had rakes of russian tankers - huge things, roll away if its not level. Nothing, nothing except an engine with brakes applied will stop them.
In the end I deleted the tankers.

I would like to download those russian tankers, any idea where they may be obtained ?

I solved my runaway consists problem, by setting brakes, before unhooking locos

You need to wait to uncouple until the brakes are fully applied. In manual mode watch your brake cylinder pressure until it reaches maximum -- 70# modern, less in steam. In simple controls, five to ten seconds are needed until the hissing stops.

You can also set the handbrakes on individual cars by going to the car (+/- key or cursor) and tapping "A" on each. This should be done on any non-0.00 grade. Set enough cars on the downhill end to hold the rest of the train. The steeper the more.

:B~)

Quite the opposite. When a charged train dumps, or loses air pressure, it triggers the charged emergency reservoir to dump its air into the brake system, which push's out on the brake cylinder piston. Reducing the trainline air pressure, applies the brakes. When a train is pumped up to 70 lbs it release's the brakes

In Trainz when a consist is braked, or handbraked, the entire consist is affected, not just a single railcar,

Last edited:
I will have to test out the Trainz question, by applying brakes on only the lead rail car, then decouple the rest of the consist and see if it rolls away downhill, but I think the decouple button may release brakes .. This does not happen in real life, as all the pistons are extended when air pressure is reduced, causing a service brake position, or in the full dumped emergency position of the piston. Last time I performed an terminal initial air brake test, reducing the train line air pressure a couple pounds, it set service brake, and dumping the train line air pressure resulted in emergency braking

Train air brakes have changed very little in 100 years ... And Trainz physics may, or may not, be exactly as on the prototype

Last edited:
by applying brakes on only the lead rail car, then decouple the rest of the consist ... decouple button may release brakes
In trainz brakes work something different. That's something like "there is a brake pipe and the same brake equipment (including compressor and train brake valve) on each locomotive and traincar(!), and all driver's brake valves (in each locomotive/traincar) are interconnected (synchronized) with servo drives".

So it is impossible to "apply brakes on lead railcar", you will be able to apply them overall the consist or do not apply at all.
There is a possibility to set enginespec's tags to switch off this "train brake valves" off (for a setting of traincars), but keep in mind that outflow via brakepipe is very slow (so in real life different constructions of distributing valves are used to boost the outflow).

In trainz there is no setting in enginespec for leaks from brake pipe and no leaks at all. Even if you decouple, there is no leak at that moment, so brakes should not apply... If I remember my old tests correctly, if you couple two consists without locomotives with different brake pressure, you'll get an average pressure in some time.

P.S. and exist "wonderfull" script funtion "SetBrakeEfficiency" that makes a leak from brakepipe that proportional to flow via brakepipe (i.e. if no flow via brake pipe, no leak from it :) ).

Last edited:
Back