How do you make a new texture?

Lengo

Well, I've searched everywhere, and can't find out to get my own ground textures into TRS2006. How do you do this?

I've opened an existing texture and found out that the texture file is has the extension .texture, which I assume is a proprietary graphics format. I can find nothing about this either.

So, how do you make your own .texture file? How do you view an existing .texture file?

"Easy to make" says the manual, but there is no instruction on how to do this.

p.s. I know photoshop very well. I know what a bitmapfile is, a .tga file, a .tiff file, and all the standard formats. I have other editors too that support all these files.

A texture is nothing more then a splotch of color made with a graphics application. The Gimp is free and will make anything you want. Another is MSPaint and is already on your PC. A texture.texture file has to be accessed with a special app.

Hi Lengo,

Don't worry, it is easy indeed. I'm just making a graphical minimanual for you.

Forget about .texture files. These were made to merge textures and texture.txt files into one .

Just some minutes, please. ;)

Alberte :wave:

Here you are. If you need further explanations, just ask. ;)

groundtextures.jpg

If you like, you can use my Red Mineral ground texture to follow these tips (you could use my files), downloadable form the DS --> http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=48460

Take care,

Hello,

Just one thing to add to the above excellent example is that if you choose to use .tga format, ensure it is saved as uncompressed otherwise the image will not show correctly.

Brian

Good point to clarify, Brian, thank you.

Textures should be saved as 24-bit uncompressed. TRS2006 also admits 32-bit. ;)

Thank you, Brian.

Thank you, Zato. This is a big help.

When you get your documentation finished, post a link to it and SELL it! Set up a Paypal storefront online. I will gladly pay for all the docs that Auran failed to provide (or provide well-written and complete). Others will too.

Let me know when you got it going. I'll be your first customer! :D

p.s. If Auran has a problem with this, tell them to come to your forums and ask how to solve it.

;) You are welcomed to my fruitstall ;)

:hehe: We all know that Trainz is a get-together venture. If not, it would be boring showing the same old thing all the time. More than of half a million users make a powerful source of common knowledge.

BTW, if you have any problem you can join us at our international section of the IBerTrainZ Forum. Help and virtual party are guaranteed in English too.

http://foro.ibertrainz.eu/index.php?board=17.0

(Registration is easier than making a groundtexture :hehe:)

Take care,

Alberte ;)

Last edited:
Here you are. If you need further explanations, just ask. ;)

groundtextures.jpg

If you like, you can use my Red Mineral ground texture to follow these tips (you could use my files), downloadable form the DS --> http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=48460

Take care,

Could there be something in there that could tell me how to get a streetmap onto a baseboard? Explanation:- I once saw a fellow doing a layout of a real railway and was using a streetmap copied from a book overlayed onto the base so he could lay the track over the top and get the placement like the real thing. Hope that sounds right??
Glen

Last edited:
Someone, I think it was Weevil, posted what he called a "basemap" to TrainzLuvr.com a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It was a large, flat mesh that covered 1 baseboard. You could put your own image on it, a map or aerial photo, and lay track on it, etc. I think it hovered less than 1 meter above the baseboard, so textures don't show up, but most (but not all) kinds of track do.

I use it all the time. Great for taking Terraserver images or trackplans and working from them.

Hope This Helps,

Adam

Could there be something in there that could tell me how to get a steetmap onto a baseboard? Explanation:- I once saw a fellow doing a layout of a real railway and was using a steetmap copied from a book overlayed onto the base so he could lay the track over the top and get the placement like the real thing. Hope that sounds right??
Glen
Have a look at this item (Pack) it may be what you saw, kuid2:119912:60004:2. The are 9 in the pack and you can place your image on them (from any source ... a street directory) and use them in Surveyor. There are some instructions in the Config File but further ones are found here and using a Street Directory.

Hope this helps,

Craig
:):):)

Thanks for all the help and links guys. Will look into them and see how I go with the technical parts.
Glen

Back