Placement of new Displacement maps

KTOutlaw

I have tried using the location listed in the manual, but the folder does not exist. So any idea where to place new displacement files and what format of image file to use so that they will show up in surveyor in TANE?

I have tried using the location listed in the manual, but the folder does not exist. So any idea where to place new displacement files and what format of image file to use so that they will show up in surveyor in TANE?

I think you have to clone a displacement asset, rename it to something you'll remember, add your displacement to the art, then commit. It should be a Bitmap type file.

Dave's right.

It's a lot easier to clone an existing one and replace the file with one of your own with the same name. I've done that quite a few times with these and other textures. It's a lot easier doing this than it is trying to figure out some of this stuff. :)

John

ok, thanks, problem exists that i am not even able figure out how to do that, eye site really going thanks to new cataracts and the irritation factor with this version is really starting to build, dumping all of the previous routes I had made unable to figure out how to get them cleaned up and updated to this version. At least deleting routes does work straight forward.

Just a word more. No need to use just the bmp format, .jpg files work too and they can be larger than 256 x 256. I've made ones as large as 8152 x 8152 for use over a large number of baseboards. Sizes must be a power of two. 256 x256, 512 x512, 1024 x 1024, 2048 x 2048, 4096 x 4096 etc.

That error in the manual was reported by me months ago but ignored as most things reported to N3V are these days.

William

Last edited:
Any idea if png files will also work, that is the format I have moved to for the most part. They made it incredibility hard to add a simple thing.

I never tried them but they might. If it doesn't it will either cause an error when you try to commit the asset or it will show all white in the Displacement Map panel preview. I messed around with them in TS10 and TS12 a lot but have not tried in TANE yet. The problem with the old way was that Trainz had to read the World folder everytime it started and the more that was in there the longer it took to start the game.

William

Last edited:
Back