Lime Street Station Cutting

Acidfree

Dogey Route Bilder
Hi, Can anyone help. I am Building the route "Manchester Vitoria to Liverpool Lime Street, but how deep is the cutting to Lime street.
I have made it 11met deep but when I see pics of the cutting It looks more or less than "11m". I've done a scearch for info and found time it was biult, how long tunnels are etc... but no depth.
Can you Help Please?

See Pic more than "11m" if so How Much. P.S I am on TZ2012. https://www.flickr.com/photos/ijob/sets/72157629271759829/
4x1Jgs.jpg

Last edited:
You can actually get some rough measurements using Google Earth Application, not the browser Google Maps. You can then click where you want to measure and it will give you the height information which for our use is accurate enough. There is also a measurement too as well that will allow you to measure the distance across the width.

Keep in mind that we are stuck within the limits of the Trainz baseboard grid whether this is 10 x 10 or the newer 5 x 5 grid. With this limitation, we have to work out what works for us as well as looks good.

John

Slightly tangential I know, but I'd be interested to know what those overbridges are, they look pretty good.

Paul

It looks like a very narrow, crowded cut, with @ 4 - 5 m track spacing

Most likely 4 meter being British. That's their loading gauge on their main lines. We have 4.5 up here where I am and 5 meters out west the railroads had all the space in the world to spread things out.

John

Actually even tighter I suspect at 3.5 meter. That's what I love about Britain - very compact!

Paul

Hi Paulsw2,
The Bridges are "Liskeard Road Bridge 2 & 3" By marky7890.
Kuid:179051:101634
Kuid:179051:101635 They are spline bridges.

Actually even tighter I suspect at 3.5 meter. That's what I love about Britain - very compact!

Paul

I doubt poor Mr Huskisson would agree! :O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_and_Manchester_Railway#Opening

As for the height of the cutting, looking at the pics on Flickr the arches begin around 3 train heights, try using that as a guide - it seems to be around two train heights in your screenshot. I tend to think heights can sometimes just look a bit off in Trainz, we expect 11 metres to look towering, but when you're "god" so to speak it looks a bit piddly. Aim to make it look right, rather than be right. Nobody is going to be using a ruler as they are driving along watching out for escaped politicians. ;)

(Incidentally, Subterranea Britannica says the height of the cutting is 80ft, which would be 12 metres - http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/l/liverpool_edge_hill_cutting/index.shtml)

I think you'll find that 80ft comes out at 24.384 metres ;)

The line falls at 1 in 93 for most of the way from Edge hill with a short and even steeper section of 1 in 83 on the station approaches with the line continuing down to the buffers and still falling at 1 in 502 .

Domsarto has some excellent walls ... IDK where to find ones with workmen escapement cubbyholes

side wall rock <kuid:70030:38108> by moonraker

side wall 15m dirty <kuid:70030:38101> by moonraker

Last edited:
Hi Paulsw2,
The Bridges are "Liskeard Road Bridge 2 & 3" By marky7890.
Kuid:179051:101634
Kuid:179051:101635 They are spline bridges.

Thanks for response. Naturally, I've got these bridges, but had forgotten. So many assets and so easy to forget!

Paul

Back