Track in the Sky Problem

GP30Fan

What am I doing wrong!

In previous versions of Trainz, it was not that difficult to build
a railroad in the sky for aircraft.

It appears to be a different story in TS-12.

I have been laying the track basically at ground level.
Ground level however varies drastically from spline point to spline point.
If the track disappears below ground, I ignore it when laying the track.

At a later time I adjust the height to the flight level I want for the
final version.

This worked fine in TS-2006.

Before I adjust the spline heights, I place an aircraft on the track and
drive it to a Track Mark at the intended stopping point.

Every time, Trainz reports “No Path to Trackmark”.

I have tried several methods to correct the issue to no avail.

Anyone else have success doing this?

Edit: I am using stationmistress track... Green track invisible in driver TS12,<kuid2:515726:4281:1>

-AL

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a broken spline point somewhere which can cause this error.

You need to follow your track, whether it's invisible track in the sky for planes or track for on the ground for trains, and check each of the spline points and adjust their height, which will lock them together.

John

You can also find the problem by placing a plane on the track and set it to drive. It will derail at the problem point.
Cheers,
Mike

I have already checked for broken spline points. None exist.

I have placed a plane on the track, and in CAB mode, driven from one
end to the other. NO derailment occurred.

But... If I start at what I will call the beginning, and try to drive to a
Trackmark on the other end, I get the message, "No Path to Trackmark."

I'm baffled.

-AL

Check your switch levers. Sounds like you're missing one somewhere along the path. Also check for dual red arrows, one should be green on all of them.

Last edited:
And I just ran into a "good one" myself on the same issue.

I was laying track and happened to somehow ended up with a knot of track on the end with broken ends. I don't know how to describe it and I didn't get a screen capture. I didn't see this while laying track but found it while testing my results with a drive to track mark.

I definitely recommend going for a drive and see where the bumps are. You'll find it soon enough.

John

BNSF50...

Not possible... It is a solid loop. There are no switchs in place.

It is just an out and back loop. Take off... loop around, about 8 mile, and land and taxi to the Trackmark.

Pretty simple, but it don't work!

Shane Turner...

Yellow arrows? Not sure what you mean.

-AL

Last edited:
BNSF50...

Not possible... It is a solid loop. There are no switchs in place.

It is just an out and back loop. Take off... loop around, about 8 mile, and land and taxi to the Trackmark.

Pretty simple, but it don't work!

Shane Turner...

Yellow arrows? Not sure what you mean.

-AL

I'm referring to the yellow directional markers that can be placed in Surveyor. If these are placed incorrectly, it can cause path not found issues.

Shane

Write down all the spline point heights on paper, find the problematic area, lower the spline point to the ground, fly a plane and see where it derails, after it is fixed, raise the spline point heights back up to the original heights. Some times there are 3 spline points, that make a knot in the track, and that causes a derailment.

Last edited:
Shane Turner...

There are no directional markers. The only markers on the track at all are one Trackmark at the end of the track
and one speed sign near the beginning. ( I hate flying at 40mph).

cascaderailroad...

The plane never derails. If I fly in in CAB mode, manually, it will travel from beginning to end
with no problem. If however, at the beginning, I issue a "Navigate to" the trackmark located
near the end of the track, it reports, "No Path" and at that point refuses to move.

It's a hair puller.... :confused:

-AL

Another thing to try is to add a track mark half way. As it is a loop maybe it wont look behind, That is pretty common in Trainz.
Cheers,
Mike

if it is a reverse loop, a balloon, sometimes invisible signals, and fake junction tracks, are needed in the balloon loop, to fool AI Drivers.

Instead of a Balloon loop, where a plane goes back on the same track it took off on ... take out the junction, and make more track, and make it a never ending dog bone shape of track.

In real life, if a airport runway had planes taking off ... incoming planes would not fly back in, on the same path or runway.

A whole airport could have slightly overlapping, (outgoing, and incomming), invisible double tracks, so that planes never come in contact with each others paths.

Last edited:
I mislead you folks by calling it a loop.

It is not a loop. It is one piece of track with 6 intermediate spline points.

It starts... and ends. There is no connection between the starting point on the runway,
and the ending point.

The plane sits at the starting point, flies the track to a trackmark just short of the end of the runway.

As I said... one speed limit sign, one track mark, and that's it.

Couldn't be more simple. But, it don't work!

-AL

You haven't mention any signals on the track. Try putting a view invisible signals on the end of the track. That way the AI might recognize it as a legitimate track.

Last edited:
Move your track mark a little to make sure it is attached to the sky track.

Good point! The trackmark could be attached to a nearby power line or fence. I had that issue with some catenary and AI ignoring direction markers...

John

Instead of moving the trackmark, you should move the track and watch the trackmark. If it moves with the track, it is attached to the track, otherwise it's attached to some other spline.

Peter

BNSF50... I strongly suspect you have hit the nail on the head.

I have had some success. I can now 'fly' the plane from start to end, about 40 miles,
with no problems.

How? I added 3 intermediate track marks.

Apparently the AI cannot 'see' ahead 40 miles. The intermediate track marks solved the
"I can't go anywhere problem".

I have two routes that have air lanes. The one I seem to refer to most often for tips
is UMR-TS12-SUMMER,<kuid2:95512:100024:7>.

Last night, I again looked at it and notices quite a lot of invisible signals, an item I had
failed to place anywhere on my air route.

Those have yet to be installed, but the additional track marks seemed to have solved
the issue.

Now comes the fine tweaking for altitude and route path. 40 miles is just a start.
600 miles to go plus the addition of a multitude of invisible switches and destinations.

Many thanks to all those who replied. It all helped.

Any additional tips or info on building air lanes is invited. Its a horse of a different color
from building track miles on the ground.

-AL

Last edited:
Oddly I discovered some odd track going daft. After a break from my route building i surfed on past and further up the lone where scenery was still to go discovered track that had danced away forming semi-circles, reversing and clicking on to junctions along the line and so on. This happened at two areas and it took me ages to be able to sort the dashed thing out right. At one point I took out a long stretch where I had trackage in big circles crossing itself over and joining the side of tracks without a junction as well. Although it held me back for a long time in the evening and relaying it was a puzzling nuisance

Back